Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D780 - living in the past?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D780 - living in the past?

It seems to be a camera that people simply like to use. Most of the time, I have no other criteria for a good camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/1651...on-d780-review

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great camera... not so much the dp video review above. Technically and scene-wise, it was very good.

I made the mistake of waking up early and watched it before I was entirely awake. The video made me feel like I was on a caffeine high after a gallon of coffee! Presentation was too much for me as I prefer simply to read the reviews and not watch a nervous presentation. Now I will skip my own coffee for breakfast and find something to calm me down.

Silence is golden!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a nice review, nottoo technical, so even I can understand it

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/n...-and-beast-too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And here's the review that I've been waiting for:

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d780

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did not read it all thoroughly, but my takeaway is that it's a Z6 with native F mount and no IBIS... Seems to me, with the FTZ adapter on the Z6, you get identical features plus IBIS, plus the ability to utilize Z lenses should you want them later. Am I missing something?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Am I missing something?
    The OVF

But it's up to the individual user if he "misses" this or not
    My Pics
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    The OVF

But it's up to the individual user if he "misses" this or not
    Yes, obviously the OVF, which would be the most important feature for me. Then much longer battery life and lastly the ability to AF with older AF lenses.

However, for my current use, I could as well buy a new F6 at a similar price which in my view is unsurpassed when it comes pure "joy of photography", and use mirrorless when I need digital. I had the F6 for a few years, and it's the camera I miss the most of those I've sold, particularly since I shoot film more and more for personal enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, just curious if you’ve played at all with Z evf? I ask because initially I was skeptical, but after about a week, I realized the benefits of magnified focus peaking and “real exposure” views were more advantageous , more wysiwyg, for my uses than traditional ovf.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, just curious if you’ve played at all with Z evf? I ask because initially I was skeptical, but after about a week, I realized the benefits of magnified focus peaking and “real exposure” views were more advantageous , more wysiwyg, for my uses than traditional ovf.
    I hear you Jack, I hear you. Only very briefly so far. It's on my list, but my regular shop doesn't stock them for the time being, and I would need more than the five minutes that I would be allowed in most shops in this country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I hear you Jack, I hear you. Only very briefly so far. It's on my list, but my regular shop doesn't stock them for the time being, and I would need more than the five minutes that I would be allowed in most shops in this country.
    I do understand...

My point is, there is a ----let me call it freedom for lack of a better term---- to composition with the WYSIWYG display. If I'm shooting in B&W mode, I see the image in the evf in B&W. If I shoot in color at night, the image in the evf is normalized, previewing the actual lighting I'm about to capture. If I shoot manually, the display darkens and lightens appropriately as I adjust my exposure. At first, I didn't like those aspects -- or thought I didn't, simply because it wasn't what I was used to. After a week, I saw it for the rather significant advantages it offers. YMMV
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do understand...

My point is, there is a ----let me call it freedom for lack of a better term---- to composition with the WYSIWYG display. If I'm shooting in B&W mode, I see the image in the evf in B&W. If I shoot in color at night, the image in the evf is normalized, previewing the actual lighting I'm about to capture. If I shoot manually, the display darkens and lightens appropriately as I adjust my exposure. At first, I didn't like those aspects -- or thought I didn't, simply because it wasn't what I was used to. After a week, I saw it for the rather significant advantages it offers. YMMV
    I do know the advantages of course, since I'm not completely new to mirrorless. However, sometimes, I get tired of looking into the LCD, and although with the Panasonic, I can switch off almost all information in the viewfinder, once I use one of the control, half the viewfinder is filled with information that I don't need. It disturbes my mind.

The "traditional" SLR viewfinder, like with the F6:

or even the somewhat more crowded D2X:

suit me much better. All the information is there, but it's not on top of my image.

So maybe F6 + D780 + Z6 then... or even F6 + Df + Z6... or cheaper still F80 (which I have) + Df + Z6. I have time. No new investments until late this year... I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I do know the advantages of course, since I'm not completely new to mirrorless. However, sometimes, I get tired of looking into the LCD, and although with the Panasonic, I can switch off almost all information in the viewfinder, once I use one of the control, half the viewfinder is filled with information that I don't need. It disturbes my mind.

The "traditional" SLR viewfinder, like with the F6:

or even the somewhat more crowded D2X:

suit me much better. All the information is there, but it's not on top of my image.

So maybe F6 + D780 + Z6 then... or even F6 + Df + Z6... or cheaper still F80 (which I have) + Df + Z6. I have time. No new investments until late this year... I think
    On the Olympus mirrorless you have 3 EVF modes and one is exactly like these you describe here - no information on top of the image but at its sides.

So it obviously is only a matter of choice of the right camera to get all you want/need

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    On the Olympus mirrorless you have 3 EVF modes and one is exactly like these you describe here - no information on top of the image but at its sides.

So it obviously is only a matter of choice of the right camera to get all you want/need
    Actually, you are right. It appears to me now that with two of the four viewfinder settings, the aperture scale doesn't show up when adjusting the aperture. My bad. I learn every day.
    https://www.un.org/en/sections/un-ch...r-i/index.html
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post