Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma dp0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma dp0

Madness. If you are a serious landscape / architectural photographer, then why saddle yourself with such a limited piece of equipment given the myriad of alternatives?
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What is madness is the shape of the camera with the 14mm attached. I was not on the design and yet, it look like definitively ugly. The new "grip" is also just a question mark in my head

??????

Is this what SIGMA users wanted as a "grip" ??

They must address all the flaws raised on the actual models before providing more products ... The DP1Q is not that good so what about a 14mm ...
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely. The DP1Q has inferior edge performance to the DP1M, in my view. More importantly, the sensor has serious issues with highlight clipping. I like Sigma's bold approach to innovation, but they are travelling down a blind alley at the moment.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Of more interest is their new 24mm Art lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post

Is this what SIGMA users wanted as a "grip" ??
    That looks like a bicycle handle (but not as bad as their LCD viewer) that seems to match the bottle opener design of the Quatro.

Progress, I would say.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If these cameras had been modular, something like the Ricoh GXR, not so much to save cost but to save space in the camera bag, they would make much more sense. If they changed the "weirdfinder" for a more conventional EVF that could fit in the hotshoe, I could almost see myself wanting these cameras. But as for now, they seem to take up more space than a DSLR with four lenses.

Then of course, if this 14mm lens is absolutely stellar and the price is still around $1,000... who knows?

Somebody must be buying these, or else they wouldn't keep launching new models, would they?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the camerabuilders in the Sigmadungeon run out of oxygen^^

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of releasing yet another Q model, sigma should go back to the drawing board and do a major rethink. A sensor that is not 10 years behind in dynamic range and iso, and a body that doesn't look like a first prototype and is dog slow shot to shot.

But, - I took my DP2Q out last weekend on an overcast day and was remind of how good the IQ is when the sensor is not challenged by high contrast. Easily beats my Sony A7r (although I don't have the Sony FE 55 1.8 yet).
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I must be in the minority here.

This is a dream come true. I would love an ultra wide-angle Foveon camera.

Might just make me jump on the DPQ bandwaggon.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Agree - a 21mm equivalent is a very interesting DP indeed however what holds me back is that I'm still not ready to switch Merrill to Quattro. Maybe at some point, maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    OK, I must be in the minority here.

This is a dream come true. I would love an ultra wide-angle Foveon camera.

Might just make me jump on the DPQ bandwaggon.

LouisB
    In spite of my posting above, I'm actually quite positive. This model could, if the optical quality is stellar, be the most useful one in the series for me. I see a great potential for industrial interiors, which is one of the things I do, as an alternative to carrying my Nikon and a 20mm lens. The alternative would be a Sony A7r with some great 20/21mm, but that would be much more expensive and not really much more compact.

Still, I have no immediate plans buying one. We'll see

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad they did a 21mm equiv. One of my fav FOV.

If it was a DP0 Merrill I would be all over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The alternative would be a Sony A7r with some great 20/21mm, but that would be much more expensive and not really much more compact.
    But it would be a lot more versatile.

I suppose on a tripod, bracketing to take care of the limited dynamic range, it might work, assuming good light to limit purple blotching, but with a probable 50mp A7 in the pipeline, there are better options. I'd rather use a DP2m or DP3m and stitch.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post

I suppose on a tripod, bracketing to take care of the limited dynamic range, it might work, assuming good light to limit purple blotching, but with a probable 50mp A7 in the pipeline, there are better options. I'd rather use a DP2m or DP3m and stitch.
    It would, but that goes for all fixed lens vs. interchangeable lens comparisons. If the quality of the new Sigma approaches that of a Zeiss 21mm, the price of the Sony/Zeiss combination is 4 times as high as the Sigma, if the Sigma price is at the same level as the other Quattros. It would basically mean that one could buy all four Sigmas for the price of one A7r with one lens.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Does the grip on the bottom come off?
    I'm a DP Merrill fan and in general have not liked the looks of the Quattro, but this does have a little something maybe.
    I do not understand Sigma making a camera that is not for beginners but then makes you view and focus as though it's a smart phone. Put a good EVF on the silly thing!

Post Thanks / Like

If they make a 12mm equivalent version will that be called the DP-1 Quattro ?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My DP1 Merrill 21mm equiv.: DP1M & Ricoh 0.75 adapter

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me suspect a Sigma 14mm f4 lens might not be far behind for e-mount and maybe m4/3...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It would, but that goes for all fixed lens vs. interchangeable lens comparisons. If the quality of the new Sigma approaches that of a Zeiss 21mm, the price of the Sony/Zeiss combination is 4 times as high as the Sigma, if the Sigma price is at the same level as the other Quattros. It would basically mean that one could buy all four Sigmas for the price of one A7r with one lens.
    True, but who wants to carry around 4 separate cameras this shape and size? The Merrills are smaller and there are only three.

It seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

Sigma should sort out the serious issues with the sensor and produce an interchangeable lens version. I was desperate to like the Quattros and for a while I did (I still own two) until I realised they are inferior to the Merrills in key respects and while they are superior in resolution, it is marginal.

Still, if anyone buys one I'd like to see some sample images
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

which way does this thing shoot....... :P

im still waiting for SD1Q
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post

I think it depends on price and how well the lens works.

If the new lens is good then this is interesting. But it does look bulky - which takes away one of the advantages of the DPMs - which is they're small and discrete for urban use - and small and light if you're carrying all three.

If the price is the same as the DP2Q then if the lens is decent then it looks like a reasonable proposition. If the price is significantly higher than the DP2Q then I think the lens will have to be remarkable.

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised at this announcement, due to the fact that the DP1Q does not have a very good lens, even though they said it was new and improved.

So if the 19mm wasn't good, how can they now jump to 14mm?

Here's hoping that the DP0Q and DP3Q will have some sort of different firmware/image quality/less noise than the DP1Q and DP2Q.

I hope they quickly release these cameras and start a new project with a REAL three layer, 1:1:1 sensor. Wake up Sigma!

Post Thanks / Like

If only Sigma had made a DP0M a couple of years ago, sold a load, feeding the used market with plenty of £200 wide angle goodness. Gimme gimme.
    As it is, the DP1M never looked wide enough for me, and as some have pointed out, the DP-Q range isn't actually any improvement, maybe even retrograde.

Let's find out ... soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma should just have concentrated their efforts on improving the Merrills and listening to what their consumers truly wanted, i.e. an EVF, A FF sensor, a better AF system, etc.

The Quattros are not the answer. IMO they went about it the wrong way.

They are making terrific lenses though.

They should have made the the SD1 into a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

Maybe the next time round they'll get it right.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post