Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    @ k-hawinkler:

Only what I have read; the 'Limiteds" (31, 43, and 77, IIRC) have been praised by many.

For me personally, the 45mm FOV is the best of the 'all-purpose' focal lengths, so 43 is close enough. And it's a pancake, pretty much (will sit more shallowly than the leading edge of the grip); not sure about with the hood on.
    As a "once upon a time" Pentax-using pro shooter, and with a 'relationship' with Pentax USA as well, I probably owned and used about three dozen Pentax lenses of all ages over a four-five year time period.

The original Limited lenses (FA 43mm f/1.9, FA 31mm f/1.8, and FA 77mm f/1.8) were all quite good, although I was never so fond of the 31mm as the other two. The FA77 was quite a wonderful lens, but the 43mm is just special. When I bought a K-01 last year, I immediately bought another 43 Limited to use with it. And it's the only Pentax lens that I could see buying an adapter for to use with the SL. The FA43mm Limited is just that good.

Pentax sold it as a truly "limited edition" Limited in Leica thread mount with RF coupling and dedicated optical viewfinder because of the demand for it. It's that good.

I wouldn't exactly call it a "pancake" lens. It's more akin to the Mandler design Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2 for Leica M in size and overall shape. It's a near-symmetrical design and relatively short because the SLR body is deep.

The FA43 is my personal favorite Pentax lens... I essentially bought the K-01 just to have a native body to use it on, and re-bought the lens since I'd sold my original copy when I opted out of Pentax equipment some time back. :-)

Oh yeah ... K-1 ... Looks nice, typically Pentax it jams a lot of stuff in for the money. I don't know what the big deal with that wacky LCD articulation mechanism is all about, looks too complicated and fussy to me. But otherwise, if you've got good Pentax lenses, it should be a good camera.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how's this pixel shift mode works on landscapes, assuming camera is on tripod and grass or any other landscape-related objects move slightly... I guess such landscapes should look pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    I don't think there is "behind the scene deals" between Ricoh and Sony. Ricoh have nothing to envies to Sony or other big guys in photo industry. Ricoh is a HUGE company. I think that if Ricoh want to do something they just do it..
    I disagree.
    They are Japanses companies with overlapping fields of interest.
    Ergo. Deals.

Of course what I said will either appear or not and whether I'm right or not will be plain in about ... maybe four months.
    Why else would sony, with their new scaled-up Olympus stabilisation in their A7 models, not have migrated it quickly into an A900/A99 sucessor?
    The reason is the Pentax K-1.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want an another opinion before going to bed or at work or whatever, just read the opinion of Ken. I personally like him, whatever he might say I will always like his style

Kenrockwell.com
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want an another opinion before going to bed or at work or whatever, just read the opinion of Ken. I personally like him, whatever he might say I will always like his style

Kenrockwell.com
    Thanks Hulyss. Ken seems to be very enthusiastic about the K-1 specifically and Pentax in general.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Ken seems to be very enthusiastic about the K-1 specifically and Pentax in general.
    The final nail.

Post Thanks / Like

Won't believe until some real reviews published. So, let's wait for now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

PENTAXUSER: Pentax K1 hands-on preview

You know what ? I feel more excited about this K1 than about the SL !
    About 3,5x times more, I'd say ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I actually asked Zeiss if they're going to produce Otus' for Pentax. They said if K-1 "if Pentax will reach similar market share like Canon and Nikon". Well, I hope so. Camera looks good, at least on paper.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    PENTAXUSER: Pentax K1 hands-on preview

You know what ? I feel more excited about this K1 than about the SL !
    About 3,5x times more, I'd say ...
    Interesting Bart. Do you feel enough excitement though to order a K1?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I like what Lloyd says here - http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/201602...atAndSize.html. But again, need to wait for real world reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

When I see this I say bravo. This is done with Pixelshift. Right click to see it original size.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I always liked the colours I got from my K5IIs.
    Pentax sure has a special way for delivering the goods.
    The K1 seems no exception.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why do I suspect you may rejoin Pentax Bart?

I must say I did not follow the development of the FF Pentax with much interest. I had convinced myself that a Sony was in my future. Now I'm not so sure, if the Pentax lives up to its specs, it will be the most capable FF body for my applications; it would be nice if it were smaller, but the pixel shift is really appealing.

Tom
    Last edited by tsjanik; 20th February 2016 at 17:13. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

holy....

for anyone that have doubt about the screen may be a weak point:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUDFxWO-8GQ
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Why do suspect you may rejoin Pentax Bart?

I must say I did not follow the development of the FF Pentax with much interest. I had convinced myself that a Sony was in my future. Now I'm not so sure, if the Pentax lives up to its specs, it will be the most capable FF body for my applications; it would be nice if it were smaller, but the pixel shift is really appealing.

Tom
    Sony ? FUTURE ?

I follow Sony since the Walkman, listening Dire Straits, Tubeway Army and Pink Floyd while going to school in the train. Sony was, year after year, deception. At a TV level we got the famous "trinitron", fragile TV. Then I started to have interest in sound and even crafted my own speakers and filters. Sony amplifiers was and are pure sh*@t. An empty box compared to Onkio, technics, marantz, Mad ...

Overall, Sony was just about profit and consumer products, not prosumer products and never been pro level. They are late on the photography world too. Pure electronic without any "cachet". Other brand value the mix beteween analogic and electronic and make refined products. For 3000 US$ the A7RMKII iron man hiped camera is all but not a refined product at all (even if they try hard).

The only Sony camera I value and respect is the RX1 and the RX1r. The "mark II" is just a way to milk ppl and add nothing; only fragility.

So yes, I would understand Bart if he go the inexpensive Pentax way. He will had story to tell and superb lenses to chase. The fun into the fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hulyss:

I'm gently teasing Bart; he was a great contributor to the K-3 thread until his equipment was stolen, I'd like to see him return.

I've never used a Sony camera, all I know is from what I've read and a lot of posters like a A7 rII. I did look through one of their EVF a few years ago and didn't care for it at all, but I've read they are better now. I need a smaller camera, the Sony looked like a solution; the K-1 looks better for me, even if not so compact.

Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLF View Post
    I actually asked Zeiss if they're going to produce Otus' for Pentax. They said if K-1 "if Pentax will reach similar market share like Canon and Nikon".
    Leaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Why asking Zeiss for "new" ?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/zeiss-zk

Post Thanks / Like

I think this camera is the middle part of a much bigger impact Pentax could have on the market and blogged about why I think that here. The beginning was the 645D and Z.

I still think that Sony is the technology innovator, but Pentax is a great technology integrator. They make supremely well thought out practical cameras. Just ask Ricoh GR and 645Z users. Personally, I own both of these cameras and think they set a comfortably higher standard in feel and user interface terms than Canon/Nikon.

With Canon in sensor la-la-land and the potential for the 5D IV to cost almost twice the K-1, I may even consider getting rid of all my Canon SLR bodies and little used lenses and moving to Pentax for my DSLR needs, assuming there is good progress on lenses (pentax and third party). This has the advantage of making the interface of my DSLR close to that of my 645Z (at present, the Canon and Pentax are very different). I had been thinking of a move to Nikon, but Pentax would make more sense when seen in this regard.

I think there is a good chance there will be a Mk II with the 42 MP BSI sensor and/or a lower priced 24MP model with higher frame rate.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FF Pentax. c1965. Sensor size 24x36.

My First Love
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone else thinking OM lenses on this beast?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_lens_to.html

I used to shoot dance and theatre professionally, with manual Nikon and Leica glass – but my eyes were younger then?

Just a thought; I would want the Pentax Limiteds (the 43 and the 77) but I do have quite a few of the good OM lenses in the cupboard. I had been waiting until the A7r Mk ii prices plummet sufficiently (MF is much easier with all the current aids, and an EVF) but this body is an alternative, bar one aspect: no silent shutter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had been waiting until the A7r Mk ii prices plummet sufficiently (MF is much easier with all the current aids, and an EVF) but this body is an alternative, bar one aspect: no silent shutter.
    Hi Kit,

You are wrong about the "bar one aspect"

1. No easy accurate focusing (it is a DSLR with an OVF!)
    2. You need an adapter with a glass correction element.

There is simply no comparison to the A7R II. Wait for the price drop and get one of that. Practically useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony ? FUTURE ?

Overall, Sony was just about profit and consumer products, not prosumer products and never been pro level.
    This might be news to you but every company is "about profit". In terms of what is defined as pro level or not, well that is up to the pro to determine. If a pro chooses to use an A7RII and achieves his desired outcome, then this makes his choice pro level.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is anyone else thinking OM lenses on this beast?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_lens_to.html

I used to shoot dance and theatre professionally, with manual Nikon and Leica glass – but my eyes were younger then?

Just a thought; I would want the Pentax Limiteds (the 43 and the 77) but I do have quite a few of the good OM lenses in the cupboard. I had been waiting until the A7r Mk ii prices plummet sufficiently (MF is much easier with all the current aids, and an EVF) but this body is an alternative, bar one aspect: no silent shutter.
    This is the way to do it:

http://leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-for...x-cameras.html
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hi Kit,

You are wrong about the "bar one aspect"

1. No easy accurate focusing (it is a DSLR with an OVF!)
    2. You need an adapter with a glass correction element.

There is simply no comparison to the A7R II. Wait for the price drop and get one of that. Practically useful.
    Vivek you get AF confirmation by way of a red dot where you have set or want AF. Same with the 645Z-works extremely well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lou, i think the discussion centered around the use of OM lenses. No AF.

Anyway, speaking of AF, it is possible to press manual OM lenses (I plan to very soon)to AF on a Sony camera via the new Techarat adapter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As much as I love my old OM-lenses, I don't see the Pentax as the best vehicle for those lenses. Partly, there are several Pentax lenses that are as small as, as good as or better than the Zuikos and partly, any A7 or an A6300 would be an easier solution for those lenses. I've been holding on to the Zuiko glass for too long myself, and might do that forever, since those are the lenses that have followed me through all of my photographic life. Also, the OM-2 with the 50mm f/1.2 loaded with HP5 is strategically placed next to my entrance door. That's the camera that I grab when I'm just going out to take some photos for fun. Not every week, but often enough

Post Thanks / Like

How does this pixel-shift-thing work? Same as in the APS-c camera or is there something new?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    This might be news to you but every company is "about profit". In terms of what is defined as pro level or not, well that is up to the pro to determine. If a pro chooses to use an A7RII and achieves his desired outcome, then this makes his choice pro level.
    This as nothing to do with pro or not. This as to do with premium. There is a world where people, like me, like to have premium items when they put the price on the table and they also know when they have crap in their hands (whatever the price they paid). That mean it have a certain price, yes, but also a brand reputation behind, an history and a superb craftsmanship. It is like Fiat wanting to make a Mercedes. The Fiat will never be a Mercedes even if there is plenty of new tech and if they price it the same to lure ppl ... Hasselblad Lunar anyone ??

New to me ?? I work with brands so no, it's not new to me to see ppl going cheapskate quality. There is a kind of ppl who like to buy some items to eventually transmit it and an another kind who are "after us ?? the apocalypse !!" and just care about themselves. Easy to spot nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by foveon View Post
    How does this pixel-shift-thing work? Same as in the APS-c camera or is there something new?
    Ok, back on topic. Yes it work the same as in the APS-C camera. It is precise because Pentax have experience with Astrotracking with the sensor so the movements are perfect. They only implemented a new function to spot "things in movement" during the exposure and taking care of it via algorithms. I do not know yet how this is efficient in landscape but we will know it pretty soon.

Post Thanks / Like

do you have any experience with the shift in APS-c cam?
    What I remember its on the road for a while but it didnt change the camera market or at least kill Sigma^^

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any more Pentax gear but some friends do and seems to have a lot of fun with their K3II. It is simple: When I lend them some Sigma cameras they are curious about it, test it a bit, are "wowed" 5 minutes on screen, then return to their K3 and forget about Sigma. In the other hand, when I lend them a D810 then things suddenly change. Then they look at the price ... + lenses ... and sadly return to the K3, resigned.

Now they have the K1 and they are VERY excited. Pentax users do not care that much about "foveon" quality. For them pixel shift is a cool option but not a necessity (for every other shooters too).

I personally do not care that much about foveon quality anymore

Foveon was cool with DP because of semi leďca feeling in the IQ. Some ppl are right to want it simply with an EVF or a RF for street snap in B&W, even at High iso. But need a perfect manual focus implementation, not focus by wire...

Post Thanks / Like

More to come in some days. The special website looks cool :

http://www.pentax.com/en/k-1/lens_lab/
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In the other hand, when I lend them a D810 then things suddenly change. Then they look at the price ... + lenses ... and sadly return to the K3, resigned.

Now they have the K1 and they are VERY excited. Pentax users do not care that much about "foveon" quality. For them pixel shift is a cool option but not a necessity (for every other shooters too).
    One thing that should be mentioned though is that the D810 is for sure (much) more expensive than the K1, but is you start comparing lenses like the 2.8 zooms from 15 to 200mm, this becomes a totally different perspective again. These prices look pretty high for non IS lenses IMHO. Not talking about optical quality because I do not have any references here.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

...I personally do not care that much about foveon quality anymore...
    ban him^^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    One thing that should be mentioned though is that the D810 is for sure (much) more expensive than the K1, but is you start comparing lenses like the 2.8 zooms from 15 to 200mm, this becomes a totally different perspective again. These prices look pretty high for non IS lenses IMHO. Not talking about optical quality because I do not have any references here.
    Yes, a complete and efficient lens line is something who reassure some users. To be honest, 95% of the forum readers and participants do not have enough money to buy a full range of focal length and ends up with one/two primes + some zooms but nothing in the league of an agency photographer needs.

At a IQ level, to be honest again, I think Tamron have nothing to envies to Sigma, at all. They even copied the Sigma dock (but with more style). The Tamron's SP primes are stabilized, superb optically speaking and weather sealed. Sigma are only optically superb. For now, Pentax is completely covered by Tamron and I think it is also Tamron's plan to counterstrike Sigma on K mount.

So, at a lens level I really do not worry that much about what can be mounted on the K1 for superior IQ. This need some research for now but here is a simple little example ... :

SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video

Post Thanks / Like

...a complete and efficient lens line...
    an important point for a DP shooter^^

but seriously,long time ago I shot my RTSII 90% with the 45 lense, or my F3 with the 28/2, or my Mamiyas with the 180, better 1 good lense than 5 others, and there is allways the Addidas-zoom^^

Post Thanks / Like

ref Rockwell, he is kind of crazy, but he still has a Pentax spotmeter, like me^^

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed the prices are hight, but:

a) I suspect prices for Pentax's Tamronalikes will come down significantly, and;
    b) third party manufacturers will soon drop K mounts onto existing lens designs forcing healthy competition and opening up a much larger stable of lenses.

It appears likely that Pentax has an agreement with Tamron about non-competition, but this may only be for certain lens types and not all types. Then we have Sigma....

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, a complete and efficient lens line is something who reassure some users. To be honest, 95% of the forum readers and participants do not have enough money to buy a full range of focal length and ends up with one/two primes + some zooms but nothing in the league of an agency photographer needs.
    SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video
    Is 'agency photographer' a job that even exists anymore? I think there is little doubt that the K-1 is targeted at people who DON'T need a Nikon D5 and everything that goes with that. Otherwise they could just buy the CaNikon. But Pentax currently satisfies every focal length from 15-450mm via zooms and has a smattering of primes. No one would claim that they don't have a lot of updating to do. But I work professionally here in NYC and few of my peers care much about having more than 4-5 lenses, and of those they use 1-2 a lot. I shoot weddings with 2 bodies and a Rolleiflex and I never change lenses, and neither lens is a zoom. I could get by perfectly well with the 43 and 77mm for 99% of my weddings in a given year. I only keep one zoom as a back up. Point being that I don't see why people always ask the brand that is doing something 'different' to simply BE Canon or Nikon. Sony has plenty of lenses available for the FE system, but now they have no less than 2 24-70s and 70-200s available for photographers that simply should have bought a CaNikon if that's what they needed!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have any more Pentax gear but some friends do and seems to have a lot of fun with their K3II. It is simple: When I lend them some Sigma cameras they are curious about it, test it a bit, are "wowed" 5 minutes on screen, then return to their K3 and forget about Sigma. In the other hand, when I lend them a D810 then things suddenly change. Then they look at the price ... + lenses ... and sadly return to the K3, resigned.

I personally do not care that much about foveon quality anymore

Foveon was cool with DP because of semi leďca feeling in the IQ. Some ppl are right to want it simply with an EVF or a RF for street snap in B&W, even at High iso. But need a perfect manual focus implementation, not focus by wire...
    I have enjoyed Foveon quality, but it comes at a cost of limiting some things you can do. High ISO in B/W only etc.
    The Merrill gave us tack sharp files with immense detail at a low $$ cost, but a cost of having to adapt to the camera. Slow focus, poor battery etc.
    As some have commented, the DP3 is not always a great portrait camera from the IQ, so its a horse that can't win every race.
    I will keep the Merrill, sometimes it comes out for nostalgia and other times to do a job of high res that it does well.

So we look at other alternatives for other jobs.
    I think the K1 is worth an explore, but I am like your friends where price of body and lenses is an important question.
    Right now I cannot afford A7rII and three lenses, so the K1 is of interest but I have to adapt. Bigger camera, DSLR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All things considered, as a Pentax 645D, Nikon D800e, Canon and Sigma DP Merrill etc shooter, the only feature of the K-1 that really interests me is the IQ benefit of the pixel shift technology. What surprises me is how few posts, information or enthusiasm I've been able to find on this forum for this same technology in the Pentax K-3 II. I wonder why that is. Does anyone here have experience with pixel shift on the K-3 II? If you would like to share some thoughts on how good it is, that would be of real interest re the K-1. It is the only reason I would consider buying a K-1.

In the meantime, I'm tempted to buy a K-3 II and 43mm Limited lens, just to try this technology out and see if the promised IQ is really there. Checking the prices, I'm amazed at how inexpensive the Pentax 35mm gear is.

Gary
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary:

Interesting that it appears the K-1 had to appear before people discovered the impact of pixel shift in the K-3 II. You might be interested in what Lloyd Chambers noted:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/201602...axFlowers.html
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Gary:

Interesting that it appears the K-1 had to appear before people discovered the impact of pixel shift in the K-3 II. You might be interested in what Lloyd Chambers noted:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/201602...axFlowers.html
    One thing I'd like to know how this works with landscapes... Wait and see, wait and see...

Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested in this camera what is a good piece of K glass to start with? can you use the 6X7 lenses on this camera? I know next to nothing about the glass etc

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the sample with and without the pixel shift. I see no difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I looked at the sample with and without the pixel shift. I see no difference
    The difference seen at Imaging Resource is quite striking.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...k3-iiTECH2.HTM
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you guys see this video on Dpreview ?
    The robustness of that rear lcd mechanism is pretty awesome !
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If multishot - AKA sensor shift, AKA pixel shift - as been properly implemented, you can expect close to double the resolution compared to single shot mode. A 36mp sensor in multi shot should thus equate to roughly around 60-70mp in single shot.

Better hope the lenses are up to it.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer