The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with "Obsolete" Nikons

dave.gt

Observations so far in the Grand Expired Film Experiment of 2021:
:):):)

After spending a whole ten minutes walking around and shooting our little town square with a $25 F80 and a bag of 10-year old expired film, I have found more joy than I would have imagined. :)

The images were done in the street very quickly for a test but mostly because my wife was ill and waiting in the car. Never a good thing but she was ok and insisted I needed to walk a little anyway. It really is hard to shoot 37 frames in that short period of time and get meaningful subjects, composition, etc.

I developed the film at home in Ilford DDX. The negatives looked great while drying and even better on the light table. My old scanner turned out reasonable scans and the files were quite easy to work with in LRC and PS 2020.

The results were pleasing even though I was pushing the use of the 50mm 1.8G lens. I am delighted to see that the expiry date of the film was NOT a limiting factor. Nor the lens. Nor the camera!

The only limitation was my shooting rapidly in A mode. The AF was really fun to use, so I concentrated on motifs and quick compositions. I also did some selective cropping.

I learned once again that crafting an image was so rewarding. I knew that from full-time medium format work and casual shooting. I now know that with 35mm film even though it will not replace my Medium Format work!

Over the years I never really appreciated 35mm film as much as I do now. Getting older and "seeing" life differently has been an enlightenment for me.

Now, my photographic journey has four dimensions, in no particular order:

1. Digital Medium Format
2. Film Medium Format (120, 220)
3. Digital with various formats smaller than MF.
4. Film 35 mm

Each Format has its place and my return to 35mm film will certainly open with small presentations in prints, slides, and books.

The only drawback now is searching for the three lenses I want to use with my 35mm cameras. LOL...
:):):)

Btw, "obsolete" cameras are everywhere and cost mere pocket change. They are fun to use as well!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
D80 with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 @ 24mm, f/4.5 and ISO 400
Noise reduction and some adjustments in DxO PhotoLab, exported to DNG, then further adjustment in ACR before re-sizing and sharpening in Photoshop. The big advantage by doing the noise reduction in PhotoLab (or the PureRaw Photoshop plugin), is that I can adjust colour and sharpening without worrying about re-introducing noise. The photo is as clean as an ISO 64 image from a D810.

Swissblad

Ah, the D700....what a machine.....the 1st DSLR we fell in love with....truly an icon!

Fortunately we still have one..mine got dunked in the Baltic Sea....need to take it for a spin again.

Swissblad

D80 with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 @ 24mm, f/4.5 and ISO 400
Noise reduction and some adjustments in DxO PhotoLab, exported to DNG, then further adjustment in ACR before re-sizing and sharpening in Photoshop. The big advantage by doing the noise reduction in PhotoLab (or the PureRaw Photoshop plugin), is that I can adjust colour and sharpening without worrying about re-introducing noise. The photo is as clean as an ISO 64 image from a D810.

I really like what you have done with this Jørgen - a breathe of new life into these old images - bravo!