The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best affordable lenses for CFV 100c for tech cam use?

Tashat

Looking into the Hasselblad cfv 100c, what lenses will resolve the 100 mp?
I currently have an arca swiss classic 6x9 shooting film with a set of the non digital lenses some schneider and some nikkor but I believe these won't be up to par.

From my research Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital lenses seem to be the most affordable on ebay? hoping to spend under $4k USD a lens for architecture work.

Also how does the copal shutter work with the digital back? do you then have to use digital backs electronic shutter? what are the downfalls vs getting a lens with electronic shutter built in.

Thanks!

guphotography

What focal length do you work with mostly?

For wide, schneider digitar 35xl is currently your best bet, in terms performance, value for money for architectural work.

Also 47xl, if you want something a little bit longer, those would have you covered for majority of the needs for architecture and interior.

Ben730

It's best to start by deciding on a camera system that is suitable for wide-angle photography.
With an Arca F-Classic it is difficult to exploit the potential of a wide-angle lens, even if it is the best and most expensive.
It is extremely tedious to work with a view camera such as the Arca F-Classic, Sinar P, Cambo Ultima etc. and wide-angle lenses.
You have to be very patient until all the planes are really parallel or as desired.
The compact tech cams such as Cambo WRS, Arca R-Line, Alpa etc. are significantly more accurate for this.

As already mentioned by guphotography, in my opinion the 35XL and the 47XL are inexpensive and good entry-level lenses.
I also like the Rodenstock 45 + 55 digital.

tcdeveau

Also how does the copal shutter work with the digital back? do you then have to use digital backs electronic shutter? what are the downfalls vs getting a lens with electronic shutter built in.

Thanks!
The user manual has a bit on how to do it.

I’d either go copal or use the electronic shutter on the back. My understanding with other electronic shutters (Schneider, Rollei) is that they’re not made anymore and not supported. Plus they require an external shutter controller (I think). Someone with better knowledge may be able to chime in or correct me.

Unless you’re heavily reliant on flash, want to use it handheld, or have fast moving subjects, you’ll be fine with the electronic shutter in the back. Technically there may be a slight IQ decrease but it’s de minimis IMHO.

Attachments

Tashat

What focal length do you work with mostly?

For wide, schneider digitar 35xl is currently your best bet, in terms performance, value for money for architectural work.

Also 47xl, if you want something a little bit longer, those would have you covered for majority of the needs for architecture and interior.
I currently have 47mm, 58mm, 75mm, 90mm, 180mm and 250mm.
I find myself using my 90mm most and then the 75mm on 6x7 so around a 45mm and a 38mm in 35mm equivalent which is a bit longer than the average architecture photographer. probably need a 20-24mm equivalent for tighter spaces and something between 60-80mm for when I need details, potentially one even around 100-150mm for long reaching exterior shots.

thanks so much for the suggestions, they look like great options. I can’t find any of the 35mm for sale, do they pop up often? Or hard to come by? Do you know the average going price?

Tashat

It's best to start by deciding on a camera system that is suitable for wide-angle photography.
With an Arca F-Classic it is difficult to exploit the potential of a wide-angle lens, even if it is the best and most expensive.
It is extremely tedious to work with a view camera such as the Arca F-Classic, Sinar P, Cambo Ultima etc. and wide-angle lenses.
You have to be very patient until all the planes are really parallel or as desired.
The compact tech cams such as Cambo WRS, Arca R-Line, Alpa etc. are significantly more accurate for this.

As already mentioned by guphotography, in my opinion the 35XL and the 47XL are inexpensive and good entry-level lenses.
I also like the Rodenstock 45 + 55 digital.
Thankyou for sharing and linking that thread, it’s very interesting. I believe I would encounter some issues with my ARCA-SWISS getting the standards parallel. It’s hard to know just how difficult it will be before trying. Those cameras do look like good option for getting everything more precise. They seem more suited to just wide angle lenses, any experience in shooting longer focal lengths on them? And is there a different system it mentioned for focusing?

Tashat

The user manual has a bit on how to do it.

I’d either go copal or use the electronic shutter on the back. My understanding with other electronic shutters (Schneider, Rollei) is that they’re not made anymore and not supported. Plus they require an external shutter controller (I think). Someone with better knowledge may be able to chime in or correct me.

Unless you’re heavily reliant on flash, want to use it handheld, or have fast moving subjects, you’ll be fine with the electronic shutter in the back. Technically there may be a slight IQ decrease but it’s de minimis IMHO.
thankyou, so if you use copal shutter you don’t have to use electronic shutter in the back. Worried about the odd time there may be movement in the frame or lighting it doesn’t agree with and being stuck only with electronic.

tcdeveau

thankyou, so if you use copal shutter you don’t have to use electronic shutter in the back. Worried about the odd time there may be movement in the frame or lighting it doesn’t agree with and being stuck only with electronic.
Correct. If you use the copal shutter in the lens, then you don't have to use the electronic shutter in the back.

FWIW I photograph landscapes and cityscapes and pretty much use electronic shutter in the backs exclusively. Haven't noticed any issues with moving stuff. The issues with the readout speeds of electronic shutters in the back are there, but I think they're overblown unless you're photographing handheld or people. I've got a Yosemite shot hanging in a local museum right now that was photographed using electronic shutter, for example, and the print is 4 feet tall, and there's no issues with moving branches or anything in the frame.

vjbelle

There is really no reason to use the copal shutter... at all. If you are shooting flash then I hope you have other cameras for that usage. Focus accuracy and parallelism are something that is learned in the field. You seem to be a seasoned photographer so hopefully you have those skills. You will find that in the field making sure you are parallel, or not, is much easier with a DB and a good loupe.

The real issue with all of the wides is either distortion or lack of movements. Pick your poison. Architecture usually requires lots of rise and there a very few lenses that can do that without distortion. The Schneider 60mm XL is probably one of the best lenses for that purpose but not particularly wide and very expensive - if you can find one. The 35XL has almost no distortion but has limited movements.

Wish you luck in your venture.

Victor B.

Whisp3r

...and something between 60-80mm for when I need details, potentially one even around 100-150mm for long reaching exterior shots.
Good affordable lenses on a CFV 100C? Pentax 645 lenses :cool: Check out this thread:
Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

The Pentax-A 645 75mm f/2.8 will give you the 60mm focal length you seek on a CFV 100C. It seems well-liked judging from the link above. So much, in fact, that I blindly bought it based upon all the feedback here on GetDPI and I don't even own a tech cam yet!
The Pentax-A 645 120mm f/4 Macro will give you 94mm focal length and macro functionality. Apparently also well-liked here!

There are more options, check out the thread, it's very helpful.

I can’t find any of the 35mm for sale,
There is one for sale on Ebay for €1629. But it looks like a tricky proposition: it's mounted on a Linhof board. I'm not an expert (I don't own a tech cam yet) but I think it will need to be remounted on a lensboard that is compatible with the camera body you are going to use. This will add to the cost. Also, from what I've read here on GetDPI, opinions differ on whether it needs a center filter or not. And these center filters are expensive as well, and -surprise- very hard to find.

rdeloe

Looking into the Hasselblad cfv 100c, what lenses will resolve the 100 mp?
I currently have an arca swiss classic 6x9 shooting film with a set of the non digital lenses some schneider and some nikkor but I believe these won't be up to par.
In my experience, "resolving the sensor" is not a thing. Lenses that were lousy on film are lousy on digital. Lenses that are excellent on film are probably terrific on digital too. Some lenses that worked fine on film are not up to digital, but if they're not up to 100 MP they're also not up to 50 MP. In other words, before you replace your current lens lineup, it costs you nothing to try them out.

I only use electronic shutter on my GFX 100S. I'm not shooting race cars, moving trains, etc. so I've yet to loose a frame because I used ES.

Geoff

There is a huge gap between "the really best stuff" and "good enough". If we focus just at the "good enough" as less expensive and findable, things like the Rodie 45mm or the Schneider 47mm (43 is better, but harder to find) can be quite usable.
The last bit of perfection can be very costly, and hard to find. The 35mmXL used to be findable. They were not much loved with the 3100, but they work nicely with the 4150, and now the CFV 100. Not massive shifting, but say 5-10mm, which is plenty for that lens.

Tashat

Correct. If you use the copal shutter in the lens, then you don't have to use the electronic shutter in the back.

FWIW I photograph landscapes and cityscapes and pretty much use electronic shutter in the backs exclusively. Haven't noticed any issues with moving stuff. The issues with the readout speeds of electronic shutters in the back are there, but I think they're overblown unless you're photographing handheld or people. I've got a Yosemite shot hanging in a local museum right now that was photographed using electronic shutter, for example, and the print is 4 feet tall, and there's no issues with moving branches or anything in the frame.
that's great to know, that you haven't had any issues with moving branches, thankyou!

Tashat

There is really no reason to use the copal shutter... at all. If you are shooting flash then I hope you have other cameras for that usage. Focus accuracy and parallelism are something that is learned in the field. You seem to be a seasoned photographer so hopefully you have those skills. You will find that in the field making sure you are parallel, or not, is much easier with a DB and a good loupe.

The real issue with all of the wides is either distortion or lack of movements. Pick your poison. Architecture usually requires lots of rise and there a very few lenses that can do that without distortion. The Schneider 60mm XL is probably one of the best lenses for that purpose but not particularly wide and very expensive - if you can find one. The 35XL has almost no distortion but has limited movements.

Wish you luck in your venture.

Victor B.
Thanks Victor, great tips on those two lenses and copal shutters. I never use flash anymore so sounds like I don't need it.

Tashat

Good affordable lenses on a CFV 100C? Pentax 645 lenses :cool: Check out this thread:
Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

The Pentax-A 645 75mm f/2.8 will give you the 60mm focal length you seek on a CFV 100C. It seems well-liked judging from the link above. So much, in fact, that I blindly bought it based upon all the feedback here on GetDPI and I don't even own a tech cam yet!
The Pentax-A 645 120mm f/4 Macro will give you 94mm focal length and macro functionality. Apparently also well-liked here!

There are more options, check out the thread, it's very helpful.

There is one for sale on Ebay for €1629. But it looks like a tricky proposition: it's mounted on a Linhof board. I'm not an expert (I don't own a tech cam yet) but I think it will need to be remounted on a lensboard that is compatible with the camera body you are going to use. This will add to the cost. Also, from what I've read here on GetDPI, opinions differ on whether it needs a center filter or not. And these center filters are expensive as well, and -surprise- very hard to find.
Thanks, I'll definitely check out those lenses!

4x5Australian

Hi Tasha. The new CFV 100c digital back is a no-brainer for architecture.

As @Ben730 said earlier, a compact technical camera is the best camera solution for wide-angle architectural photography because it avoids the lack of parallelism inherent in a two-standards camera. A technical camera is also more compact and lightweight.

In Australia, you will find that the most available and supported technical camera, by far, is the Cambo WRS range (WRS 1000, 1200, 1600, 5000 series). Specular Photo, based in Melbourne, is the agent for Cambo in Australia. Specular has a used equipment page: Pre-owned Technical Camera Systems (specular.com.au)

Like the other brands of technical camera, the Cambo WRS cameras require lenses to be mounted in a proprietary lens board, the WDS / WRS lens board, together with a helical focuser unit. This mounting service is provided by Cambo on lenses you provide for a fee. Specular can send lenses you want mounted to Cambo and handles the transaction details.

As others have said earlier, the Schneider Apo-Digitar XL 5.6/35mm and Apo-Digitar XL 5.6/47mm lenses - known as the 35XL and 47XL - are excellent. You may find them already mounted in Cambo WRS mounts, but if not, buy them bare and get them mounted by Cambo.

Many longer film lenses are capable on the CFV 100c, but the digital-era wide angle lenses are noticeably better than their film-era counterparts.

Rod

Tashat

Hi Tasha. The new CFV 100c digital back is a no-brainer for architecture.

As @Ben730 said earlier, a compact technical camera is the best camera solution for wide-angle architectural photography because it avoids the lack of parallelism inherent in a two-standards camera. A technical camera is also more compact and lightweight.

In Australia, you will find that the most available and supported technical camera, by far, is the Cambo WRS range (WRS 1000, 1200, 1600, 5000 series). Specular Photo, based in Melbourne, is the agent for Cambo in Australia. Specular has a used equipment page: Pre-owned Technical Camera Systems (specular.com.au)

Like the other brands of technical camera, the Cambo WRS cameras require lenses to be mounted in a proprietary lens board, the WDS / WRS lens board, together with a helical focuser unit. This mounting service is provided by Cambo on lenses you provide for a fee. Specular can send lenses you want mounted to Cambo and handles the transaction details.

As others have said earlier, the Schneider Apo-Digitar XL 5.6/35mm and Apo-Digitar XL 5.6/47mm lenses - known as the 35XL and 47XL - are excellent. You may find them already mounted in Cambo WRS mounts, but if not, buy them bare and get them mounted by Cambo.

Many longer film lenses are capable on the CFV 100c, but the digital-era wide angle lenses are noticeably better than their film-era counterparts.

Rod
Thanks Rod, that's great advice. Yes I've been looking at their 2nd hand cambo WRS's online, my main concern with going with the CFV 100c over an X2D on say a cambo actus is using the back in bright sunlight and not being able to see the screen. I have the reflex binoculars for my arca swiss, is there something for cambo that could make the viewing experience better for the cfv 100c that you know of?

Have been weighing up if adapting the good hasselblad v lenses onto the x2d with a shift adaptor or using a cambo actus with x2d would be sufficient? as I like that the x2d has a bigger screen, great EVF and image stabilisation for when doing handhold shooting for other work/travel shots. From research it seems more restrictive if needing wide angle shift.

Niddiot

If you have an arca 6x9 then it is a perfect platform for the cfv100. Metric & orbit variant best. Could always buy the conversion pack to 6x9 or buy a cheap used.

guphotography

Thanks Rod, that's great advice. Yes I've been looking at their 2nd hand cambo WRS's online, my main concern with going with the CFV 100c over an X2D on say a cambo actus is using the back in bright sunlight and not being able to see the screen. I have the reflex binoculars for my arca swiss, is there something for cambo that could make the viewing experience better for the cfv 100c that you know of?

Have been weighing up if adapting the good hasselblad v lenses onto the x2d with a shift adaptor or using a cambo actus with x2d would be sufficient? as I like that the x2d has a bigger screen, great EVF and image stabilisation for when doing handhold shooting for other work/travel shots. From research it seems more restrictive if needing wide angle shift.
What's the widest lens you can use on cambo actus? I know that with gfx body, 55mm is widest lens with cambo actus.

If you can find a dealer to let you try both, that would give you a good idea on viewing experience, a lens shade or flag may be suffice for working in brightly lit conditions with live view.

Universalis might be a good option to consider if you already working with arca 6x9, that way you can shoot both film and digital with one camera, cheaper to adapt lenses to also.

p.s. 47xl will give you same field of view as 90 on 6x7.

Whisp3r

What's the widest lens you can use on cambo actus?
I checked their Actus-G presentation leaflet, apparently if you use their own Actar brand you can go down to 15mm on a 44x33 body such as the X2D, albeit with a maximum shift of 6mm.
It is indeed a different matter when using non-Actar lenses, I've learned this would be more restrictive, like you already indicated. I remember seeing a section on the Cambo website specifically dealing with lens compatibility when using the Actus with camera bodies such as the Hasselblad X2D or the Fuji GFX 50R, but I can't seem to find it. Will keep looking..

Here's a link to the presentation pdf:
Cambo Actus-G presentation leaflet