The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850

jduncan

Jørgen, repeat after me:
It's only a black metal box with a computer and an imaging chip inside. My life does not depend on buying one :lecture:

Wrong, I know of a friend of a friend of a friend wife that totaly, totaly totaly, died from an acute case of unresolved GAS.

Best regards,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Keep telling myself I don't need one, especially after successfully shooting the wedding of my son last Friday with my trusted Olympus EM1.2 with much success and wonderful results.

But well, the D850 is very tempting :banghead:

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

my initial impression is 30195 DKK :shocked:
which with todays exchange rate equals 4790 USD :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This will be very hard to resist, and I might as well start planning for lenses, only primes this time. I'll probably buy back my old Zeiss 21mm. The Samyang 135mm is a given, since I already have it. Then a 35 and an 85?

What does it for me here is:

- Image quality, which one must assume is at least as good as with the D810 but with more resolution.
- Improved ergonomics with tilt/touch screen and joystick.
- Much better video functionality with 4K and peaking at 1080p.
- Even better weather sealing and more solid build due to the removal of the flash.
- Focus bracketing (You took some time, Nikon. The Contax N1 had that some 15 years ago.)
- Slimmer body

Unless I stumble over a pile of money by coincidence, It might take some time to save up for this (No, I'm not selling my m4/3 gear this time), but good things come to those who wait, don't they :rolleyes:

Edit: Here's a top view comparison with the D810. The body and grip are much slimmer, a big advantage for people with medium to small hands like me :)

Last edited:

DougDolde

Didn't sleep very well last night. Got up at 4am and placed order with B&H for $3299, what a deal. I'm considering this an upgrade to my IQ180 and a very cheap one.

This one will do it all; the IQ180 is a one trick pony - resolution monster not good for high ISO or much else besides 80 megapixels

vjbelle

I've placed an order. I can use my 55mm Otis and my 100mm Zeiss Planar but am lacking a 35mm. I've yet to find a decent one from anyone although I have not looked at the latest offerings.

Victor

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
We live in an amazing time.

One key issue will be the extent to which the D850 over-samples native Nikon glass. I would hold off on the champaign until we hear about some experience on this issue.

archivue

"this is absolutely a must have piece of kit."

still waiting for real life pics...

what about the DR ?
long exposure ?
color quality ?

wait and see...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
We live in an amazing time.

One key issue will be the extent to which the D850 over-samples native Nikon glass. I would hold off on the champaign until we hear about some experience on this issue.
Linear pixel increase is just 12% compared to the D810. I doubt that will make much difference. The headline news are all the new features, the improved ergonomics and better video.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am in serious negotiations with my camera dealer :cool:

Would mean that my Fuji X kit has to go ... I will definitely keep my m43 equipment, too trusted for me ;)

Will see what time and negotiations bring.

I NEED Nikon FX AGAIN :clap:

k-hawinkler

Congratulations Nikon! Well done. :thumbs:
I hope this will light a fire under Sony's butt to come out soon with their new high resolution, hopefully competitive A9r. :grin:

V

Vivek

Wouldn't that be A99r ? A SLT is closer to a DSLR than a mirrorless camera?

Congratulations Nikon! Well done. :thumbs:
I hope this will light a fire under Sony's butt to come out soon with their new high resolution, hopefully competitive A9r. :grin: