The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Not Medium format this time but 35mm Kodal Gold 200, scanned with my recently repaired Coolscan 8000. Another Composit: sky digital capture. No clue what 35mm camera I was using back in 1996.
Thanks for looking. I promise next post here will be from medium format B&W film from early 1970's
Dave G.
Love the image!
Interesting question - does a 35 mm slide rephotographed with an MFDB count as MF? I guess the intention is that the original gear should be MF - but I have thousands of 35 mm Kodachromes "scanned" using the XF, 120 macro and IQ4 back.

gurtch

Hi Bill: Either way is fine with me, but it is not my board. I recently got my Nikon 8000 film scanner up and running. That and my new film holders designed and 3D printed by Stephan Scharf in Germany make this machine a really beautiful way to scan both MF and 35mm. BUT, and I hate to admit this: Today I scanned a 6x7 B&W negative made with a Pentax 67. I was much much younger, (early 1970s, or 1980s, I think) and assuming I could hand hold 1/125 to 1/250 sec, the Photoshop "Print Size View" and "Actual Pixel View" were shocking not sharp (the film grain was sharp). Compared to my Pentax 645D, Fuji GFX 50R and now my GFX 100S, there really is no comparison. I can see the greatest value of my film scanner and old negs are images that have irreversibly changed over the years.
Best regards
Dave

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I hear you, Dave. I have a number of images from the past that were used in calendars, that are acceptable at 8 by 10 inches, but fall apart at anything more. I wish I'd used s tripod more often!

dave.gt

Well, I understand exactly how you feel, Bill.

However, my reality is that my work is meaningless and totally irrelevant. Not only that, I have very little time or resources so I no longer have a reason to think I need to print large anyway.

Strangely, I feel a degree of liberation knowing that no one cares and neither should I. I enjoy the experience and my results and that is enough.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

However, my reality is that my work is meaningless and totally irrelevant. Not only that, I have very little time or resources so I no longer have a reason to think I need to print large anyway.

Strangely, I feel a degree of liberation knowing that no one cares and neither should I. I enjoy the experience and my results and that is enough.
Looking at your contributions to this forum, I respectfully disagree with your first sentence. I can't comment how you feel but I can tell you that I don't feel that way about your work.
Bill

JoelM

I am of the same mind. I don't try to go out and take a great picture, I enjoy the journey. With all this AI crap and endless manipulation, you can't believe what you see or hear anymore. I mostly like photography as it gets me off me arse and out of the house.
Joel

Nokton48

Foxglove on Rainy Back Deck by Nokton48, on Flickr

First test roll of hand spooled 1992 vintage 70mm Kodak 400 Tri-X Professional Unperfed film. Rated at EI 400, extremely dark stormy rainy day on my back deck. Camera was Plaubel Makiflex Standard, lens is Bausch and Lomb Super Cinephor 159.1mm F2.0. A movie theatre projection lens intended for projecting 35mm and 70mm movie film in cinema houses. Film back is Graflex RH-50 18 shots bulk loaded. Film processed in D23 1:1 12 minutes at 74F in single reel Paterson dev tank. RC 8x10 print Arista #2 Matte developed in Multigrade. Omega DII laser aligned 180mm black Rodagon lens. Camera was handheld at the Makiflex Standard's top speed of 1/125. I really like the "look" I am getting with this extremely unusual lens. It's quite a heavy rig so I get a gym workout to boot. I am really diggin' all this 70mm stuff at this point. 18 6x7 exposures fits into two Vue-All 70mm pages when cut into threes.

Nokton48

400s 70mm Supergrain Blad 100 Planar 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Test roll (31 exposures) fresh 70mm Rollei 400s, processed in Rollei Supergrain. JOBO 120/220 reel modified to 70mm width by me, JOBO Multitank 2 Agitated by hand. Film shot last spring, then life came along................... Hasselblad A70 mag, 100mm Zeiss T* Darkroom print Omega DII Omegalite head Aristo #2 RC Ultra Multigrain Dev

Last edited: