The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

Ed Hurst

As I have shown in some recent pictures, Sydney's Middle Harbour represents a varied and surprisingly wild area. It's surrounded by suburban and urban sprawl, but this haven is extensive as it snakes its labyrinthine way through quite deep gorges, bushland, national park and little hollows. The millions who live around are often surprisingly unaware of what's there. It takes some effort to trek down into the area, but so worth it... And you end up far away from lights, roads, houses...

Getting this tranquil scene was a bit of an adventure. Due to home-schooling going on right now in Australia, my partner and I are experiencing quite a load at home - we both work full-time and our boys (5 and 7 years old) need a lot of attention at the same time to keep them working and supported. It didn't seem wise to suggest to her that I wanted to do this trip alone - because I wanted to arrive while it was still light, that would have required her to handle dinner and bedtime alone, after a very tough day of work with the kids around. So I decided to do it with them and make it an adventure, leaving my partner in peace at home. We three boys had an evening/night bush walk and picnic. They did very well. It required a big walk both in and out. Then perhaps three hours of hanging around (setting up, waiting for it to get dark, shooting the trails, doing a long [low ISO] exposure of the scene, packing up, etc.). Not to mention the younger one coping with the near-pitch darkness. There was some complaining but really not too much. Thank goodness for Netflix on my 'phone to keep them amused (I just had enough reception down there), which I resorted to after games and dinner got a bit much for them. I did feel rather guilty at how tired and bored they looked before we started the walk back, but they kept their spirits up well and ended up revelling in what an adventure we had had together.

The hardest technical thing about this shot is that, despite being miles in-land, the water is tidal and was coming in during the lengthy shoot. There is no clear vantage point near the water on solid ground (that was all hidden by trees) so I had to shoot on the sand. When I set up, it was light and I had to put the tripod well away from the water's edge because I knew it would end up getting much closer during the shot. The goal was to keep the tripod dry and stable (not undermined by the sand getting wet with the tide) but still finish the shoot close enough to the water's edge for the reflection of the trees and stars to work. I had to guesstimate had much the water would come up in a couple of hours and monitor its progress in the dark, while keeping the boys occupied and avoid their light getting in shot (I set them up some distance away, with a clear line-of-sight to the camera, with their lantern hidden behind my camera pack, then walked back and forth hundreds of times to make sure that they and the camera were ok) . All the time knowing I'd have to get the boys up out of the valley and home, by torchlight, well after their usual bedtime... Good job they are such wonderful boys.

The pic looks peaceful and contemplative. Taking it wasn't!

Pentax 645Z with 25mm DA

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

It served me well for a long time, but had not used it for some month's. last time it was still oké. may be it fel asleep. I think I will bring it to laboutiquepentax in Paris. i will give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say.
Good luck with it, my friend. Your work is wonderful and needs to continue...

P. Chong

The Clan Jetties in Penang are part of the Heritage Trail. These are the Chinese clans who settled on the island circa 1882. These are water villages, with each clan taking territorial claim over a jetty, each named after a Chinese clan – this one is the Tan Jetty, with its stilt-house, the long walkway jutting into the sea.

Photographed in 2018. Hasselblad H3D-39 with HC 2.8/80.

tan-jetty.jpg

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I wonder how these water villages will survive the ocean rise associated with climate change. Perhaps they will have to float them. Glad you're recording this and preserving the history.
B.

Ed Hurst

This morning, I decided to get up at 4am in order to have a go at these pictures. It's the time of year when the sun rises perfectly in line with Narrabeen Lake (in Sydney's Northern Beaches) if you stand on the only hill that overlooks it. Getting to this vantage point requires about an hour's walk along a route that can be hard to find, but thankfully I have done a reccie recently.

Pentax 645Z with 55mm DFA lens

6x7 200mm (late) lens

P. Chong

Continuing on my 2018 trip to Penang. Here is a photograph of one of the oldest, perhaps most revered temples in the island. Goddess of Mercy Temple (Chinese: 觀音亭; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Koan-im-têng) (also known as Kuan Im Teng or Kong Hock Keong) is a Chinese temple in the city of George Town in Penang, Malaysia. Situated at Pitt Street, it was first built in 1728, making it Penang's oldest Taoist temple.

kuanimteng.jpg

While I was there, I observed a ceremony of sorts.

kuanimteng-prayers.jpg

Hasselblad H3D-39 with HCD 4/28 for the first photograph and HC 2.8/80 for the second.

P. Chong

A popular place for traditional local kopi, Wangz has many outlets throughout Singapore. This one at Alexandra Retail Centre is one of our favourites. Normally the place will be packed at mid-morning on a Saturday, but today, it was rather quiet.

The order counter. The cashier doubles up as barista.

wangs3.jpg

Behind the wall of the display for traditional biscuits, is the kitchen. Where the eggs, toast and light meals are prepared.

wangs1.jpg

And a view into the shop. Eating in premises is currently limited to a maximum of 5 fully vaccinated persons per group for restaurants. For coffee shops, like Wangz here, the max is 2 people per group, regardless of vaccination status. Normally at this timing, there will be hardly a place to sit and stay. But today, it was almost empty.

wangs2.jpg

Hasselblad 907X (CFV 50C II) with HCD 4/28 lens via XH Adapter. Manual focus (my HCD lens is not Orange Dot), and hand held.