The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 28P

usm

For anybody who's interested, here are some Dropbox links (3F format):

Test scene XCD 4/28P at F4
White LCC target for Phocus Scene Calibration (XCD 4/28P at F4):
tried the files in Phocus 374. With the lens corrections (no LCC) there is a very little magenta cast. When adding the LCC with JUST the "remote cast" button on it is perfect.
But when the lens is also build for this "old" sensor it should work without the LCC!

SrMphoto

tried the files in Phocus 374. With the lens corrections (no LCC) there is a very little magenta cast. When adding the LCC with JUST the "remote cast" button on it is perfect.
But when the lens is also build for this "old" sensor it should work without the LCC!
Support for 28p was added in n 3.75. You tried it in Phocus 3.74 that is not supposed to support 28p yet.

I have created a temporary LrC profile for the XCD 28p images:
- Distortion: +8
- Vignetting: Amount +93, Midpoint 0.
I consider D+15, V+92, 50 - +8 distortion leaves too much barrel distortion for me. But while +15 is better it is still not the best.

However, I consider using the lens profile for the HCD 4/28 with distortion at 100 and vignetting 200 and also manual distortion +56 - this gave me equal brightness across the image and almost no distortion. See attached but ignore the Transform settings - these just reflect the fact I had lousy alignment in my set up.
All examples are in LRC 3FR RAW files
First uncorrected:
Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 09.38.22 jpg.jpg

Then with my manual only settings D+15, V+92 etc.
Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 09.30.16 jpg.jpg

AND then with HCD 4/28 profile and a small additional manual vignette adjustment Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 09.32.26 jpg.jpg

Paratom

11 sites and not much talk about focal length.
I find 28 quite more interesting than 30mm , and 21 I often found somewhat too wide.
thats why I am interested in this lens more thabthe 30 which I won and which is great, but I often wish for something a bit wider.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
11 sites and not much talk about focal length.
I find 28 quite more interesting than 30mm , and 21 I often found somewhat too wide.
thats why I am interested in this lens more thabthe 30 which I won and which is great, but I often wish for something a bit wider.
Well, *I* like the 28mm focal length more than the 30mm. I'd prefer 26 or 24, but even the slight extra FoV of the 28 is a plus.

The 21 *is* too wide for a lot of images, but 100MP allows for quite a bit of cropping - I never felt pixel-limited at 37.5MP. I'll use the 28 as my walk-around lens for a while, but might go back to the 21.

FloatingLens

I think one of the difficulties with the 28P not producing the perfect acuity like the 21 is due to the focussing stepper motor. I find it difficult to be sure through the viewfinder of the X1D to nail the best DoF even if it is a rather long focal length at F4. Essentially, one has to find the optimal focus point 1/3 into the scene and check everything in-between to achieve best DoF. My guess is the individual steps of the focussing mechanism are rather coarse, which makes you think the center is in focus but overall one has not nailed the best DoF compromise. This is turn reduces the overall impression of sharpness throughout the scene. YMMV, I am assuming very demanding work.
In urban settings this might not matter as much, but in landscape it does. On the other hand, the 28P lens elements are so tiny that the AF is rather quickly done and the camera confirms focus.
Given the above, I prefer to go MF with the 28P for landscape scenes.
With respect to focal length, I am a 90 deg. diagonal AoV guy, so the 28P suits me well and further cropping adds even more flexibility.
I think Hasselblads focal length choices are spot-on for the intended uses they advertise. The 28P is not for everybody, I guess.

Last edited:

MGrayson

I think one of the difficulties with the 28P not producing the perfect acuity like the 21 is due to the focussing stepper motor. I find it difficult to be sure through the viewfinder of the X1D to nail the best DoF even if it is a rather long focal length at F4. Essentially, one has find the optimal focus point 1/4 off-center and check everything in-between to achieve best DoF. My guess is the individual steps of the focussing mechanism are rather coarse, which makes you think the center is in focus but overall one has not nailed the best DoF compromise. This is turn reduces the overall impression of sharpness throughout the scene. YMMV, I am assuming very demanding work.
In urban settings this might not matter as much, but in landscape it does. On the other hand, the 28P lens elements are so tiny that the AF is rather quickly done and the camera confirms focus.
Given the above, I prefer to go MF with the 28P for landscape scenes.
With respect to focal length, I am a 90 deg. diagonal AoV guy, so the 28P suits me well and further cropping adds even more flexibility.
I think Hasselblads focal length choices are spot-on for the intended uses they advertise. The 28P is not for everybody, I guess.
I have also noticed the 28 AF doing a poor job, even at infinity. But I've been using magnified manual focus check ever since sensors got to be more than 24MP. Still, it's surprising, given that mirrorless is always supposed to AF perfectly :LOL: .

tenmangu81

As far as I'm concerned, I am using more often the manual focusing, as it seems to me more reliable than the AF. Of course, this is less convenient when you have MF by wire. But for the 45P and the V series lenses, it works quite well.

MGrayson

Matt, is the 28P MF by wire or mechanical ?
Thanks
It's by wire, but the response varies smoothly enough that I don't have a problem rocking back and forth over true focus. I'll try a few other XCD lenses - I don't have the 45P or either of the V lenses, alas.

Ok. Quick non-scientific test done. The 21/4, 45/3.5, 90/3.2, and 120/4 have very sensitive slow focus bands. Turn the barrel slowly, and nothing seems to happen. Speed up a bit, and the focus jumps. They are annoying. The 28P is much easier to manually focus, though its response is not linear.

I've never had problems with AF on the 21, 45, or 90. If time is of the essence, I'll AF and shoot, and then try for a second shot with MF. Focus on the 120/4, AF or MF, is hopeless. I haven't used the 135 combo enough to judge.

Last edited:

Ai_Print

I wish I could see a 28 vs 30 f8 sharpness test on an x2d . Hasselblad’s own MTF data doesn’t look too encouraging ….
I did one when I first got the 28P, it was against my friend's 30mm. What we both gleaned from that was that my friend's 30 is completely out of spec, the 28 made a mockery of it. As far as I know, he sent the lens in to Hasselblad.

MGrayson

I wish I could see a 28 vs 30 f8 sharpness test on an x2d . Hasselblad’s own MTF data doesn’t look too encouraging ….
I no longer have the lens, my XCD 30 images are from Banff, and it's a long drive to do the comparisons. ☹ They are exceedingly sharp, but then so are the 21, 45, and 90 images.