The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

iiiNelson

Question:

Do the 2 cameras have an electronic shutter?
If yes, what’s the sensor readout time?
Yes to having electronic shutter but it’s limited to the same 1/8000 shutter speed at the mechanical one. Perhaps they can add faster electronic speeds through firmware in due time. I have not read anything on readout speed yet but I wouldn’t expect A9 performance because that likely would’ve been highlighted and in a sense - huge to have that performance for $2k.

One other thing I read after digging around a bit is that AE for continuous focus is limited to only being available when shooting at 5.5fps or slower so the 9fps is a bit deceptive though technically accurate. So in reality what we have is something that’s still closer to A7RII levels (if has 5fps continuous focus) with AE. I haven’t found more information on the Z6 as most everyone is focusing on the Z7 for obvious reasons of being the “flagship.” Now regarding battery life perhaps it’s better than advertised at 330 shots for the Z7 (310 for Z6). DPReview reported that they got nearly 1600 shots on one battery and did a few 4K clips on that same charge before the camera died. They didn’t say if they turned off all the internal radios (or maybe I overlooked that part) but if this is accurate then perhaps the battery life will be comparable to the generation 3 Sony cameras.

This is really turning out to be the exact camera I expected - which isn’t a bad thing at all. Just typical.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes to having electronic shutter but it’s limited to the same 1/8000 shutter speed at the mechanical one. Perhaps they can add faster electronic speeds through firmware in due time. I have not read anything on readout speed yet but I wouldn’t expect A9 performance because that likely would’ve been highlighted and in a sense - huge to have that performance for $2k.

One other thing I read after digging around a bit is that AE for continuous focus is limited to only being available when shooting at 5.5fps or slower so the 9fps is a bit deceptive though technically accurate. So in reality what we have is something that’s still closer to A7RII levels (if has 5fps continuous focus) with AE. I haven’t found more information on the Z6 as most everyone is focusing on the Z7 for obvious reasons of being the “flagship.” Now regarding battery life perhaps it’s better than advertised at 330 shots for the Z7 (310 for Z6). DPReview reported that they got nearly 1600 shots on one battery and did a few 4K clips on that same charge before the camera died. They didn’t say if they turned off all the internal radios (or maybe I overlooked that part) but if this is accurate then perhaps the battery life will be comparable to the generation 3 Sony cameras.

This is really turning out to be the exact camera I expected - which isn’t a bad thing at all. Just typical.
The problem with the CIPA standard is that it requires all camera functions to be active. I never use WiFi or other radios or even the LCD when taking photos, so maybe the batery life wouldn't be so bad anyway. I used to get 2-3,000 images from one charge when using the D810.

iiiNelson

The problem with the CIPA standard is that it requires all camera functions to be active. I never use WiFi or other radios or even the LCD when taking photos, so maybe the batery life wouldn't be so bad anyway. I used to get 2-3,000 images from one charge when using the D810.
Well it’s only a problem in a sense that cameras may not have the same features. I guess it would be helpful to test and rate in airplane mode and with the features turned on.

V

Vivek

Sensor read out speed and electronic shutter (K-H’s question) are going to be identical. You see this similarity in D800/A7R. Sony skipped the 810 generation for the BSI sensor in A7RII.

Why should it? Nikon and Sony have never had similar performance when using the same sensors earlier.

Knorp

Now, I for one didn't expect anything at all :)
But so far to me it looks like a real little cracker and though we have to wait and see what the usual suspects come up with, but for a first series I think Nikon did well.
Details that I like are the lens mount being off set more to the outside (more room for your fingers) and that little top LCD ... :thumbup:

Will I buy one ... :grin:

Frankly

I like it, nice to be able to use the D8xx batteries since "Nikon photographers" will use both systems. And I won't miss dual card slots, it's not like the old days of PCIMA cards. I still wish the lenses were smaller so it was "jacket pocketable" but that's just normal camera manufacturing cluelessness.

By virtue of having the new lens mount there is less reason that a "Nikon photographer" with a large investment in DSLRs and lenses needs to remain brand loyal. If my goal is to have a professional full-frame style walk around compact camera with a couple of fast prime lenses then even though I may have $10k of Nikon gear there is still no compelling reason for me to be loyal to Nikon other than maybe the UI will be somewhat consistent. But IRL I'd probably use whatever brand offers the best value overall.

And that points to the larger question. Will Nikon transition to this as their main, professional lens mount going forward? Obviously a S-lens won't work on a DSLR which implies ultimately abandoning the DSLR. Seems like a way to plant doubt, if not now but in a couple of years, they will have to explicitly tell us what their road map is.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I like it, nice to be able to use the D8xx batteries since "Nikon photographers" will use both systems. And I won't miss dual card slots, it's not like the old days of PCIMA cards. I still wish the lenses were smaller so it was "jacket pocketable" but that's just normal camera manufacturing cluelessness.

Yet otherwise by virtue of having the new lens mount there is less reason that a "Nikon photographer" with a large investment in DSLRs and lenses needs to remain brand loyal. If my goal is to have a professional full-frame style walk around compact camera with a couple of fast prime lenses then even though I may have $10k of Nikon gear there is still no compelling reason for me to be loyal to Nikon other than maybe the UI will be somewhat consistent. But IRL I'd probably use whatever brand offers the best value overall.

And that points to the larger question. Will Nikon transition to this as their main, professional lens mount going forward? Obviously a S-lens won't work on a DSLR which implies ultimately abandoning the DSLR. Seems like a way to plant doubt, if not now but in a couple of years, they will have to explicitly tell us what their road map is.
Well that’s always been the dilemma that this camera doesn’t fully solve for all. This camera is a great option for Nikon owners that want to add more capable video ability while maintaining commitment to the Nikon ecosystem, want to maintain a DSLR as their primary system, or want a smaller kit for personalized photos.

This camera does not solve the needs initially of those that want to take a deep plunge into the Mirrorless world and drop all their DSLR equipment. If a person has to start their collection all over maybe they’d be best suited for a competing system or jump into this one in a couple years but who knows what else would be competing by then.

The strength of Canon and Nikon was always the established lens line up but when they’re the new fish in the pond why not cross shop? That’ll always be the question for some.

iiiNelson

Now, I for one didn't expect anything at all :)
But so far to me it looks like a real little cracker and though we have to wait and see what the usual suspects come up with, but for a first series I think Nikon did well.
Details that I like are the lens mount being off set more to the outside (more room for your fingers) and that little top LCD ... :thumbup:

Will I buy one ... :grin:
I didn’t want to expect anything but I’ve been around enough big marketing campaigns first hand to know when a company is about to play it safe and deliver what will underwhelm people in regards to how much hype they drive. It’s almost is a no win situation for every company that does it but yet they continue to do so because no publicity is bad publicity... but after the publicity has worn down what you’re left with is a capable product (in most cases) that could never possibly hold up to the promised fan fare.

In this case it was the hard lone of delivering a “Nikonrashi” camera with exclusive pro features no one else could possibly make - then you get a camera comparable to what’s already on the market. Like I said - it’s an impossible situation from a marketing standpoint to put the company in.

iiiNelson

Gordon Laing from CameraLabs Z6/7 First Look:

https://youtu.be/_nauzVklivI

Seems to echo more of the rational viewpoints expressed by outlets like DPReview. In summary, nice first effort generally speaking but a few questionable design choices in execution. Also he stated that the camera feels a lot like the A7 cameras despite having a slightly larger grip so if you are expecting a radically different feeling to the camera compared the the A7 then you may be somewhat disappointed in that area.

DougDolde

I still don't feel compelled to swap my D850 for one. The Z is obviously the future though. Maybe someday