The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sharpest paper?

jng

I've been printing on Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta (using a Canon printer) for most all of my finish prints. The end result is quite sharp although I don't know how it might compare with other papers in this domain. The paper's surface has a nice glossy sheen that feels natural and not plasticky.

John

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I also am a fan of the Baryta papers, and expect the glossy versions will be "sharpest." But I too prefer the look from the photo rag versions.

Shashin

The sharpest glossy papers are the cheap, shiny glossy finish. A paper with a texture will be softer. The problem with the high gloss finish is it becomes like a mirror, especially in the shadows. However, like folks above, there are much better papers. The loss of sharpness is not really perceptible, but the increase in richness is. I guess another vote for the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta in glossy.

I am not sure paper manufacturers do this any more, but getting a sample pack can be good to find out what you like in a paper. The surface not only changes sharpness, but also saturation and contrast. You can then simply print an image of different stocks to see how the dynamic of the image changes.

Joe Colson

I am a big fan of the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta paper. Not glossy but a very nice paper.
I agree with Steven. Both the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta and Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique papers are excellent for rendering sharp detail, but not glossy. They have sheen though and shouldn't be dismissed.

Joe

Godfrey

For glossy surface and high detail, I've used the Epson Exhibition Fiber paper. I don't know how it compares to the other glossy papers because I've been satisfied with what it renders like and haven't tried others. I don't print glossy surface very often, only when I feel the subject matter is apropos for this kind of rendering.

G

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks to all for your input. I have been using Epson Premium Luster but I have a project that needs truly glossy paper. I shall certainly look into the Baryta options.

neilvan

I love the results I get from my P800 and Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver 300, the level of sharpness/detail is incredible. It's not for everyone but I highly recommend giving it a try...

Last edited:

Charles2

Yup, Canson Platine will give you sharp. But you can get sharpness on many papers with good post-processing. Try a combination, first sharpening by RL Deconvolution in Raw Therapee, then regular Unsharp Mask in just about any post processing program. At the Unsharp Mask step, push until you begin to see halos on the monitor; at that point they will not show in the print.