The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 135mm 1.8 Art on Z7 (vs 85mm 1.8 Z)

robdeszan

Hi All, I thought I'd share some interesting discoveries regarding the Sigma Art 135mm 1.8 lens. I initially posted the question in the Nikon Z 70-200 2.8 thread as I wanted a telephoto lens that would give me more compression than Nikon's 85mm 1.8S but was hesitant whether the new zoom would give me the IQ I am after; I have also never been a fan of zooms either, I do use Nikon's 70-200 f4 and the Z 14-30 f4 for personal stuff and travel, mind you; not for work, though.

My biggest concern was whether AF would be fast and accurate enough on the Sigma & it is. It works perfectly well. Have not noticed any differences between the Z primes. IBIS sweetens the deal. No CAs to speak of. The AF is louder than Z primes and AF action differs for video though, not relevant to my use so can't comment on that too much.

The surprise came when during my initial testing I started looking at the 85mm shots against 135mm's. I am conscious of the FL differences & magnification factor but the Sigma was somehow crisper across the board. It also renders images slightly warmer than Nikon (nothing that can't be corrected with WB).

Initial images same spot (from a window) so different magnification, notice the colour rendering differences though:

Infinity (Nikon 85mm 1.8 S Left and Sigma 135mm Art 1.8 Right)NikonZ85mm1i8S at f1i8 L and Sigma 135mm 1i8 Art at 1i8 R.jpg

At about 25meters (again, Nikon 85mm 1.8 S Left and Sigma 135mm Art 1.8 Right))NikonZ85mm1i8S at f1i8 L and Sigma 135mm 1i8 Art at 1i8 R 2.jpg

Test repeated in a more controlled environment and closer distance (electronic shutter and tripod with VR off; three shots taken at each aperture and sharpest chosen, although they were all pretty identical; I also tried focusing manually but it was no different to the AFS Pinpoint); this time, however, the 85mm had to be moved closer to account for FL & magnification differences but keep framing identical.

Overview of the "scene"

Overview Nikon Left Sigma Right.jpg

at F1.8 - Nikon is LEFT & the Sigma is RIGHTNikon Left vs Sigma Right at f1i8.jpg
f2.8
Nikon Left vs Sigma Right at f2i8.jpg
f4

Nikon Left vs Sigma Right at f4.jpg

f5.6 pretty much identical now

Nikon Left vs Sigma Right at f5i6 Nikon caught up.jpg

and one more for diffraction differences at f11

Nikon Left vs Sigma Right at f11.jpg

The Z7, with IBIS and off-sensor focusing, is excellent for modern DSLR lenses it seems. I previously shot the 1.4G lenses (35mm 58mm 85mm), the AF was noticeably slower than on Z lenses, and the CAs got in the way ultimately, not so much the sharpness. So far the Sigma has met (and exceeded) my expectations. The Z 85mm 1.8 is an astounding lens but this 135mm appears to be on another level still & physics (sheer glass size) must be a factor, I am sure.

Hope someone finds it useful!

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What impresses me me more than anything is how similar the focals render the first scene -- it appears to be an 85 vs 105 or 120 vs 135...

That aside, the Sigma does seem an impressive performer. Glad it's working for you!

robdeszan

The first example differs in zoom ratio, hence the indiscernible FOV difference. Here's another overview of the scene with two corresponding 100% views. Not ideal day for comparisons as the heat was radiating off of the roofs so has to be factored in. Still, gives an idea of the IQ differences.

Left: Nikon 85mm 1.8s at f1.8
Right Sigma 135mm Art 1.8 at f1.8

85mm Z 1i8 v Sigma Art 1i8 at f1i8 and infinity.jpg

Thorkil

the sigma has the edge(y)...but its so heavy, and my wallet so empty, the 70-200/4, the creamy trio the 135DC, 105DC and not the least the "funny" 180/2.8D (though MF) will do the range for me for the time being..