The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

TimoK

While it's certainly kind of the form admins to allow us to host photos here using their storage / bandwidth, the user interface for doing this is not necessarily the most friendly. I would suggest you just get a Flickr account and upload your images there. Flickr will generate the code necessary to share the image on the forum, and you just copy and paste it.

Assuming your photo is on Flickr, go that particular photo's page, and you'll see an arrow pointing to the right (located below the lower right corner of your image). Click on that arrow, then choose "BBCode" and a size option, then just copy and paste the code here.
That's one possibility but the main reason is that Jeff is a new member and the moderators want to manually check new members' posts. I also found the same problem with my first posts with photos. It took a day or two before they appeared in forum. Later no problems.
So, Jeff don't worry, be patient and everything starts working.

fjablo

After my frustrating experience this morning (see image thread) I was looking for tripod heads and stumbled across this very interesting Rollei tripod:
https://www.rollei.com/tripod-urban-traveler-22748-en-eur

It's not really made for MF except for maybe the X1D / GFX50R with one of the lighter lenses. But it has a very interesting head - at least I've never seen an integrated leveling base in a tripod this small & light. Seems perfect for hiking:

I ordered one even though it was not exactly what I was looking for originally :grin:

anyone

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3 way head that can keep a Chamonix view camera and Hasselblad V system stable but is not too heavy?

I own already a Linhof 3D Micro which is on the heavy side, otherwise great and a Manfrotto 410 which is too heavy. I use usually ball heads, but for the view camera I need to be able to fix each axis separately. Particularly for hiking weight and bulk is a major concern.

Thank you!

MartinN

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3 way head that can keep a Chamonix view camera and Hasselblad V system stable but is not too heavy?

I own already a Linhof 3D Micro which is on the heavy side, otherwise great and a Manfrotto 410 which is too heavy. I use usually ball heads, but for the view camera I need to be able to fix each axis separately. Particularly for hiking weight and bulk is a major concern.

Thank you!
Stable with weight capacity usually means HEAVY. When I need that I use my 410. Then I have the Manfrotto x-pro geared head that is very light, but not as secure. I choose between them.

I've been working on a long term project and my Arca D4 was getting banged up climbing ladders thru decks. Found a good solution to protect tripod head, Think Tank Lens Changer 50. Works pretty darn good.IMG_9459.jpgIMG_9268.jpg

TimoK

Thank you!
I also have Linhof 3d head. In most cases it's not too heavy, but now I purchased Sirui FD-01 head for hiking. It's weight is 200 g less than Linhof's and price is 1/6. It has same movements but much more tilt in both sides. Max load 10 kg. Unfortunately it's not geared. Look at their site Sirui FD-01
Mine is not yet arrived. I can tell more after seeing it.

Last edited:
Perhaps one of the Arca Swiss Core Levelers? I own their Core Leveler 75 and I am very happy with it. Not sure about the load capacity rating, though.

anyone

The core leveler looks interesting indeed! The 75 might be a bit overkill and more or less direct competition to my 3D Micro, but the Core leveler 60 might be good. Does anyone have experience with it?

Mexecutioner

No experience with either as I use the Cube GP, however I read here that many users replaced their 60's with a 75 mostly for the additional 5 degrees of tilt and better balance on a larger tripod. The price and weight differential is not much, I would personally favor the 75 over the 60 in order to not buy something underspec'd that I would need to replace later. I may actually get a 75 for when I want to travel light while preserving some of the Cube capabilities.

anyone

Good point with the 5mm of tilt in each direction, that may be the deciding factor. The Linhof 3D Micro weights 1000g, the Arca Core Leveler 75 is stated with 630g. Depending on the accuracy of the Arca spec sheet in terms of (real-life) weight, that could be a suitable alternative.

No experience with either as I use the Cube GP, however I read here that many users replaced their 60's with a 75 mostly for the additional 5 degrees of tilt and better balance on a larger tripod. The price and weight differential is not much, I would personally favor the 75 over the 60 in order to not buy something underspec'd that I would need to replace later. I may actually get a 75 for when I want to travel light while preserving some of the Cube capabilities.
Exactly my reasoning when I bought it. The Core Leveler 75 mates quite well with the Gitzo Series 3 Systematic in terms of size and weight by the way. Maybe combine it with an Arca Quick Coupling Base Plate for increased flexibility.

kdphotography

The Baby Cube L60 is better as a geared travel head and I find it to be a perfect match on the Novoflex triolbalance, with a built-in leveler which adds an additional 5mm of movement. But it is indeed small! The Mini-Cube L75 is a great compact geared head and fits perfectly on my RRS TVC-24 legs.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I love the L60. I should love the L75, but for some reason it seems too close in size and weight to the D4. In fact, its weight is closer to the L60's than to the D4's, so that's just subjective. If I knew I was shooting close to level, I'd take the L60. If I might be shooting macro or something else that required steep angles, it would either be light (BH-30. It punches WAY above its weight) or solid (D4).

I actually just did a highly scientific test of trying a bunch of heads on the same tripod and looking at the magnified LCD. I keep hoping the P0 will solve the "ball head droop" problem, but it just doesn't. The BH-30 was worlds more solid. The L60 did slightly better than the D4, no doubt because it is shorter and has less lever arm with the tripod yoke. Having IS on while moving around is a problem for any of these, as the image drifts hither and yon before it stabilizes. It doesn't seem to affect the image - do cameras handle long tripod mounted IS exposures better than they used to? All the drifting around must stop when I trigger the exposure, because 4 seconds is razor sharp. Now I'm not using the sturdiest tripod in the world. It's the short Gitzo 4 series with the Markins yoke to make it more travel friendly. Tripods that stay at home don't get used. As much as I'd love to have the stability of a Gitzo 5 or RRS 4, they would never get outside.

I didn't try the BH-55 or Cube, as they fall into the wonderful but heavy camp.

Last edited:

anyone

I would use it on a Gitzo Series 2 Tripod more or less as direct replacement / alternative for the Linhof Profi Ballhead 2. Would you recommend the L60 or L75 for that purpose?

While the large format camera needs to only get to level (less movement), my Hasselblad needs regular adjustment of the tripod head. I mostly carry both cameras, so it should fit either of them.

And lastly, can anyone recommend a dealer for Arca products in Germany/ Europe?

Thank you!

I would use it on a Gitzo Series 2 Tripod more or less as direct replacement / alternative for the Linhof Profi Ballhead 2. Would you recommend the L60 or L75 for that purpose?

While the large format camera needs to only get to level (less movement), my Hasselblad needs regular adjustment of the tripod head. I mostly carry both cameras, so it should fit either of them.

And lastly, can anyone recommend a dealer for Arca products in Germany/ Europe?

Thank you!
I mount my 4x5 folder via a Linhof Nivellierneiger 77 and it is perfect for that purpose, but I would not hesitate to use the L75 for it, too. Just make sure to have enough "air space" between camera bottom plate and leveler top plate. Otherwise you may have difficulties to disengage the camera from the leveler, especially when using the low profile MonoballFix system for example.

Arca-shop is a proven dealer for Arca Swiss in Germany. There are other options AFAIK like Photo Greiner, but you have to contact them to get a quote. Be prepared to wait a bit as supplies are sometimes scarce, depending on what you order.

darr

I made this for the tripod that goes out in the landscape with my 4x5, but I use it on other tripods as well.
A little like Weldon's above, but made from parts laying around not being used.

(1) OP/TECH USA 7801172 Snoot Boot Wide Body XL (Black)
(2) OP/TECH USA 1301012 Uni Adaptor Loops (Regular) - System Connectors

I took an exacto knife and cut two x's into the back.
Then I pulled one Uni Adapter Loop through each 'x' and then though their middle to form a sliding knot.
Simple, but so effective!

I use it for my light meter when shooting film, film magazines, and to safely stow my digital back when I need to while on a shoot.
When not shooting, it keeps dirt and moisture off the head.

Hope this helps someone because it really is a great "third hand" when you need one.

I made this for the tripod that goes out in the landscape with my 4x5, but I use it on other tripods as well.
A little like Weldon's above, but made from parts laying around not being used.

(1) OP/TECH USA 7801172 Snoot Boot Wide Body XL (Black)
(2) OP/TECH USA 1301012 Uni Adaptor Loops (Regular) - System Connectors

I took an exacto knife and cut two x's into the back.
Then I pulled one Uni Adapter Loop through each 'x' and then though their middle to form a sliding knot.
Simple, but so effective!

I use it for my light meter when shooting film, film magazines, and to safely stow my digital back when I need to while on a shoot.
When not shooting, it keeps dirt and moisture off the head.

Hope this helps someone because it really is a great "third hand" when you need one.

UniLoops are the best thing ever made. With all of the gimmicky straps out there, I still stick with my Op-Tech Sling and have UniLoops on everything. On the H cameras, you can use the longer ones and when not attached to a strap, can be attached to each other for a short "handle". I also have them around tripod legs, C-Stands, and other hardware to hook the camera to as a safety "wire" when shooting overhead.

I took a piece of thick nylon cloth, cut a triangle, stitched the edges, and X-stitched uniloops into the 3 points. With the loops wrapped around the tripod leg, I can quickly hook the triangle in and make an apron inside the tripod to hold random stuff like my meter or filters. It rolls up nice and can be used as a ground cloth if necessary. Kinda stole the idea from some telescope tripods that had a tray inside the legs to hold oculars and other components that I saw years ago.