The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

The great tripod & head thread!

I've been working on a long term project and my Arca D4 was getting banged up climbing ladders thru decks. Found a good solution to protect tripod head, Think Tank Lens Changer 50. Works pretty darn good.View attachment 175999View attachment 176000
This Think Tank Changer 50 looks like it makes just about the perfect cover. I just ordered one for my tripod head- the cube C1. By my measurements it should just fit snugly over the head. Good recommendation!

fjablo

After my frustrating experience this morning (see image thread) I was looking for tripod heads and stumbled across this very interesting Rollei tripod:
https://www.rollei.com/tripod-urban-traveler-22748-en-eur

It's not really made for MF except for maybe the X1D / GFX50R with one of the lighter lenses. But it has a very interesting head - at least I've never seen an integrated leveling base in a tripod this small & light. Seems perfect for hiking

[...]

I ordered one even though it was not exactly what I was looking for originally 😁
I can happily report that this tiny little tripod has no problems holding the H3Dii + 80mm lens - even 45sec exposures are perfectly sharp. To be fair it also wasn’t very windy: around 15km/h, but steady as I was at the coast.

I can post a behind the scenes once I‘m back at my computer next weekend ;)

robmac

Picked up a new to me Novoflex Pro75 4-section kit with Ballhead II and short 2-section ground-level legs for a nice price. Very well made kit. Thing oozes quality and the head is impressive as well.

Mexecutioner

This Think Tank Changer 50 looks like it makes just about the perfect cover. I just ordered one for my tripod head- the cube C1. By my measurements it should just fit snugly over the head. Good recommendation!
If the cube doesn't fit in it, I will fit here, I use it for the Cube GP, fits great, padding is good but not bomb proof.

rawhead

Sure did. Sorry for the crummy IQ, but wanted to post this quickly.
View attachment 131668
Hi, I know this is an old post, but do you know how Precision Camera Works dealt with the thin, flat plate below the RRS clamp? That plate has four holes that act as a detent together with one ball bearing trapped in a hole on the p0 side. Specifically:

1) Do you know if that is the original plate that came with the p0 or something Precision provided as part of the mod?
2) If the original plate, did the bond it to the rear side of the RRS clamp, or is it just held in place by the bolt?

I have the same p0h and the RRS clamp, and have preliminarily attached the clamp using the original Arca plate just with the bolt. When sufficiently tightened it seems to work fine, but I am a little concerned that if I don't bond the plate, the plate might shift out of place, rendering the detent non-functional. Thanks!

Required

I need some advice to get around a problem I've ran into.
I got such a good deal on a GT4542LS that I just had to get it and in the process I sold off my GT3541L with a Markins base for more.

The problem is that the panning lock on my Arca Z1 does not fully clear the systematics flat disk.
I can lock it and unlock it - if I make sure it's within the correct 240° rotation.
And as my plan was to get the Arca Core L60 as well to complement my Z1 for architectual work I notised that the Leveler also have a locking lever close to the foundation.

I found an old Novoflex panorama plate I had, which do solve this but I don't like adding another component to the mix though.
A 3mm solid aluminum plate would be enough, without panning function.

Do anyone have an idea on where to find one or could offer a functional solution for both my Z1 but also a future purchase of a Core L60? :)

_DSC6132_nx-s.JPG_DSC6133_nx-s.JPG

docholliday

I need some advice to get around a problem I've ran into.
I got such a good deal on a GT4542LS that I just had to get it and in the process I sold off my GT3541L with a Markins base for more.

The problem is that the panning lock on my Arca Z1 does not fully clear the systematics flat disk.
I can lock it and unlock it - if I make sure it's within the correct 240° rotation.
And as my plan was to get the Arca Core L60 as well to complement my Z1 for architectual work I notised that the Leveler also have a locking lever close to the foundation.

I found an old Novoflex panorama plate I had, which do solve this but I don't like adding another component to the mix though.
A 3mm solid aluminum plate would be enough, without panning function.

Do anyone have an idea on where to find one or could offer a functional solution for both my Z1 but also a future purchase of a Core L60? :)

View attachment 182996View attachment 182997
I have the same head and tripod, with the same issue. Acratech makes a spacer that raises the head off of the platform to give it clearance. https://www.acratech.net/ballhead-riser-raises-your-ballhead-on-tripod-plateform/ Or, you could always have a machine shop mill you a plate of your desired height and diameter tapped 3/8" on the bottom and studded on top.

Last edited:

Required

I have the same head and tripod, with the same issue. Acratech makes a spacer that raises the head off of the platform to give it clearance. https://www.acratech.net/ballhead-riser-raises-your-ballhead-on-tripod-plateform/ Or, you could always have a machine shop mill you a plate of your desired height and diameter tapped 3/8" on the bottom and studded on top.
Thank you DocH.
That’s one solution. It builds a bit much perhaps but I’ll look into it.
Getting a shop to produce a slim one would be an option as well. Didn’t think of that.

I’ve looked at some spare parts for Monopod top plates as well but did not find a suitable one.

nameBrandon

OK, Dante is whispering to me.. I was out shooting at an abandoned mine a couple of weeks back and I was on a wooden deck kind of platform overlooking the mining area (since filled with water). There were other people walking around on the platform, and though it was relatively sturdy as platforms go, there was some vibration that was picked up by my Feisol travel tripod (was shooting with the GFX100S and 100-200 attached.. 100-200 was mounted to the tripod via lens foot). So I went over to the center column to look at stiffness ratings, and I see the other tripod I have (TVC-24L) isn't that much of an improvement in the overall stiffness values (~700 vs ~1100). I slide my mouse pointer all the way up to the top of the stiffness index and I see the Gitzo GT5533L. Before I just go buy one, I wanted to see what the thought was as far as how 'portable' it is. I see the weight increases quite a bit at ~6lbs, but the TV-24L is ~4lbs so I don't think it's a massive increase.

This tripod would be the nuclear option, limited to car drivable spots and maybe a hike of <1 mile. Price-wise, it seems on par with the TVC-34L everyone here seems to like, but appears to perform almost 3x better with TCC's stiffness value.. Would you pick one of these over the other for GFX sized kit? Would probably stick with the p0+ hybrid as the head for the geared adjustments.

akaru

I’d say go for the giant if you’re already in that territory. While I do love the simple look of just the two joints, but it’s nice to know you can tower above if needed.

nameBrandon

I’d say go for the giant if you’re already in that territory. While I do love the simple look of just the two joints, but it’s nice to know you can tower above if needed.
Hah! You do make a good point, though I'm not that tall to begin with, so 9ft may be pushing it a bit… :) But in that spirit, the 4 section 5543XL adds quite a bit of working height, and I imagine at an equivalent height as the 5533L it's probably not significantly less stiff. Though with the 4 section XL were almost at 7lbs. If this gets much heavier, I might as well just bring my own concrete pylon with me…

nameBrandon

How much stiffness do you REALLY need?
All of it. All the stiffness. ;) :)

But being serious, I really don't know.. and that's the problem. I don't know if a slight improvement in stiffness would've helped in that scenario, or if a drastic increase is required. Since I have no way to tell, the thought was that 'd just go all the way to the top and essentially remove that as a variable.

Outside Gitzo and RRS, it appears like FLM may offer some interesting options in this space as well.. more research required!

Last edited:

Abstraction

It depends on the conditions you're shooting under. Take a look at the tests Dave from the center column site where he essentially gives you a breakdown of wind speed needed to cause bluriness with various lenses.