The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The GX8 replacement is here. It's a Fuji

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Fuji has launched the X-S10, and it's smaller than my GX8. If you take away the grip and the viewfinder bump, it's about the size of a GX9, and it's nearly the same price as the GX9 too. Compared to the Panasonic mid-range trio (GX8, GX9 and G90/95) it has:

- Better, larger sensor with higher resolution and much better low light capabilities.
- At least as good IBIS.
- At least as good ergonomics.
- Much better AF.
- Mostly better video features.
- Smaller form factor except compared to the GX9
- Somewhat smaller viewfinder.

Basically, it's a 2020 GX8 with a viewfinder bump. For those who enjoy Olympus ergonomics, there's of course the E-M5 III, but I don't. The X-S10 seems to be designed to kill off MFT (as does the Panasonic S5 for that matter). I fear the best I can hope for as an MFT user, is a G100 with IBIS and slightly improved button layout. If that doesn't happen within this year, it's reason to question the future of MFT other as a video tool.

Yeah, yeah... G9 and GH5 are cheap now, and they are indeed excellent cameras, but they are biiiiiiig, and the S5 isn't much more expensive or even bigger, not to speak about the Nikon Z5/6 or the Z50.

GX8 with PL 12-60mm f/2.8-4 and X-S10 with Fuji 16-80mm f/4, both 24-120mm eqv.

Last edited:

Knorp

Mmm, all true - but the GX8 is at least 5 years older and I think it's fair to say a lot has changed since ... :unsure:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Then there's the G95 which is only a year older and more competitive except the smaller sensor, cropped 4K video, only 120fps slo mo and the siiiiiiiize....:

As a pure video production tool, the G95 is probably better, since the larger size probably gives better cooling, there's no clip length limit and it has dedicated headphone and wired remote sockets. But as a hybrid "go-everywhere" camera, it's a bit too big. Carrying two bodies means going one size up in camera bags. And it only has micro USB (2.0), while the Fuji has USB-C (3.0).

Elliot

No doubt the Fuji is a great camera. However, relative to the GX-8, the smaller viewfinder is a big difference, 0.62 vs 0.77.

Admittedly, I am a stills shooter who rarely records any video.

Godfrey

So if I were to go with a Fuji, I'd have to deal with :mad: XTrans raw files, and none of my excellent Olympus or Panasonic-Leica lenses would be useful—I'd have to buy all new lenses—and I'd have to deal with :mad: Fuji menus. Not for me.

I bought the Fuji GX9 body recently. I'm delighted with it. I'd be happier if it were just little bit bigger as there's precious little room for my fingers and the buttons are kinda small. All of my FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds lenses perform beautifully on it. The raw files are excellent and easily manipulable; 20 Mpixel is enough for most work. Feh on Fuji. LOL! 😂

Never mind that I still have and still like my Olympus E-M1 ... despite its antiquity. ;)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So if I were to go with a Fuji, I'd have to deal with :mad: XTrans raw files, and none of my excellent Olympus or Panasonic-Leica lenses would be useful—I'd have to buy all new lenses—and I'd have to deal with :mad: Fuji menus. Not for me.

I bought the Fuji GX9 body recently. I'm delighted with it. I'd be happier if it were just little bit bigger as there's precious little room for my fingers and the buttons are kinda small. All of my FourThirds and Micro-FourThirds lenses perform beautifully on it. The raw files are excellent and easily manipulable; 20 Mpixel is enough for most work. Feh on Fuji. LOL! 😂

Never mind that I still have and still like my Olympus E-M1 ... despite its antiquity. ;)

G
Spot on, Godfrey, but the GX9 is a no go for me. No mic socket and no fully articulated screen. I also want a new Panasonic camera. Changing systems is not my favourite activity. I might end up buying a G95, G9 or GH5, but they are really too big.

SrMphoto

My Olympus cameras (M1.3 and M1X) have a better AF and EVF than my Fuji (X-T4) (Fuji's AF-C is wacky and EVFs are known to flicker). It feels like Olympus has better IBIS, and PDR is probably similar except around ISO 800 where Fuji's dual-gain kicks in.
Still, the Fuji is quite enjoyable and has some nice lenses, but definitely not an MFT killer, IMO.

raist3d

The Fuji X-S10 is indeed what seems to be a very targeted extremely capable camera. Beats the AF of almost any if not all m43rds camera, has great video, best in class JPEGS. Xtrans works great with Capture One and Iridient.

The only draw back now- just now- is that the Fuji can't use the DxO PhotoLab 4 deepPrime but on the other hand usually Xtrans files seem to clean better in noise reduction.

As for the Fuji not being a MFT killer- I think it does kill or stomp on some models.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In spite of all the Fuji goodness, I'll be staying with MFT. I have just added a G85 to my two GX8 bodies for video use (plus a used DJI Phantom 4 for aerial video).