The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

P. Chong

One of the first large format images I have ever exposed...on my new (to me) Sinar X with Nikkor W 180mm f.5.6 lens. Shanghai GP3 4x5 film developed with Ilford ID-11. Scanned with Fujifilm GFX 50S II with Hasselblad HC 4/120.

The location is Suntec City's Fountain of Wealth. Long exposure, metered at 30s at ISO 50 at f/16, but after reciprocity failure compensation, the film was exposed at 1m 26s. Developed at ISO 100 box speed.

suntec-fountain.jpg

Last edited:

MartinN

One of the first large format images I have ever exposed...on my new (to me) Sinar X with Nikkor W 180mm f.5.6 lens. Shanghai GP3 4x5 film developed with Ilford ID-11. Scanned with Fujifilm GFX 50S II with Hasselblad HC 4/120.

The location is Suntec City's Fountain of Wealth. Very long exposure, metered at 30s at ISO 50 at f/16, but after reciprocity failure compensation, the film was exposed at 1m 26s. Developed at ISO 100 box speed.
Nice ! If you would like a bit more ’dynamic range’ you could try a higher ISO film, with my scanner software, Silverfast, there is also a possibility to ’trick’ the distribution and inversion curve by using different film ’profiles’

P. Chong

Thanks Martin...Yes, more dynamic range would be nice. I find the negative to be quite thin...and after scanning, the histogram is a bit scrunched up in the middle. Here is another image I took. This one is even longer in exposure, I need to look up my notes, but my memory says its about 4 minutes after taking into consideration reciprocity failure of the GP3 film. I am playing with the GP3 as my first box of film as it is rather inexpensive...working out to about USD 1.50 per sheet of film plus developing chemicals.

I think there is a bit of a light flare on the right of the photograph probably through the lens. Also the image is not critically sharp, as I realised after the fact, that the bridge I had the tripod on was not completely rigid, and vibrated when pedestrians walked by.

suntec-cbd.jpg

What are faster films for 4x5? HP5? Portra 800 is a bit expensive at this stage of experimentation, though I have a box of Provia in the freezer.

MartinN

Thanks Martin...Yes, more dynamic range would be nice. I find the negative to be quite thin...and after scanning, the histogram is a bit scrunched up in the middle. Here is another image I took. This one is even longer in exposure, I need to look up my notes, but my memory says its about 4 minutes after taking into consideration reciprocity failure of the GP3 film. I am playing with the GP3 as my first box of film as it is rather inexpensive...working out to about USD 1.50 per sheet of film plus developing chemicals.

I think there is a bit of a light flare on the right of the photograph probably through the lens. Also the image is not critically sharp, as I realised after the fact, that the bridge I had the tripod on was not completely rigid, and vibrated when pedestrians walked by.

What are faster films for 4x5? HP5? Portra 800 is a bit expensive at this stage of experimentation, though I have a box of Provia in the freezer.
I have decided I will never do color negative or slide sheet film, due to the cost. Color film is certainly NOT for experimenting. But black and white film is good for experimenting. My favourite film is Fomapan 100 (Czehia) because I can get it super cheap. That film can also be had in 200 and 400 for experimentation.
I think you could experiment with Ilford HP5 and Delta 400. Rollei has some sheet film, but that is also Europe so it may not be available easily.
If I want to do color film, I have the Sinar Zoom film holder, so I can get 6x12 on 120 film, and that is great because I have stock of roll film.
But film is a bit of experimenting, so it should preferably be affordable. One thing to try is to give more exposure. The only thing that can give density in shadows is enough exposure (over the ’toe’). And when scanning, and not darkroom printing, having very dense highlights can be acceptable. Then I do stand development. You should check stand development and compensating development http://johnsexton.com/images/Compensating_Development.pdf

Alkibiades

To get max D

View attachment 199936

I love nights shots in B-W also.
for best results I would use HP5, Delta 400 or tmax 400 and develope it in rarefied developer 1:1 or even 1:3.
HP5 is easy to work with, Delta and Tmax give finer grain.
Also wet scanning on a real drum scanner give little advantage.

Nokton48

5x7 PlusX 2402 Aero D23 5x7 Norma 500mm Tele Xenar by Nokton48, on Flickr

Kodak Aerographic Five Inch Plus-X cut seven inches, to fit a 5x7 Lisco Holder. 5x7 Sinar Norma with my newly CLA'ed Schneider 500mm Tele Xenar at F22. Hasselblad 40mm Distagon Yellow Filter jammed inside the lenshood, it fits! D23 1:1 8x10 Unidrum on Uniroller. 5x7 Contact Print on Arista #2 RC Dektol 1:2 The Tele-Xenar is quite sharp up front as you can see. I'm liking this film for 5x7, but I can also cut it to 4x5 or even 9x12cm. Like the tonality you get with the Aerial emulsion.

Tim Kelly Inspired Broncolor Balloon 90 degrees left, lighting the entire set. Main light Broncolor C171 Monolight Pulsoflex Softbox, one stop brighter than the fill, 45 left to the set. Just out of camera shot 45 right, is a foamcore freestanding panel for passive fill. Finally, the creme on the sundae, is Broncolor C70 Monolight with Snoot and Handmade Grid from an olde Broncolor Honeycomb. Selecting lighting a small portion of the background. Just because

Nokton48

18x24 Sinar Norma 300 Xenar F4.5 Rembrandt Lighting by Nokton48, on Flickr

The cool thing about having multiple Normas, is that you can leave them set up for a while. Getting ready to shoot this one. Classic Rembrandt Lighting, Broncolor Beauty Light pointed straight down from up high as possible. Silver reflector on the floor tilted towards the subject. Lens is 300mm chrome Schneider Xenar, on custom made Norma board. Xenars are lovely to shoot through at near full aperture. The focus blows out behind the front row of petals which I find attractive. Strobe meter says F22 at EI 50 so just one pop will do. Canvas Background is by David Maheu "Kelly Grey" Like it Stormy Grey middle key with no corner vignettes. I can vignette with light if required

DDudenbostel

Shot this image around 1974 with my 8x10 Deardorff and triple convertible B&L 12” VIIa Protar in a compound shutter. Probably was old version TX in HC110B. I had to shoot through an open window due to vibration from the milling equipment running and a 10 minute exposure. I had to stop down to f64 go DOF and did a hail Mary to calculate for reciprocity and nailed it. I exposed two sheets and the first dropped in the holder during the first exposure causing a double image. The second neg was perfect.

Attachments

Nokton48

18x24 Mammo Sinar Norma 300 Xenar Arista No 2 RC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Second test of 18x24cm Kodak Min-R XRay film developed 18 minutes at 60F Straight replenished Legacy Mic-X in Cesco trays. 300mm Schneider Xenar barrel lens f22 Yellow Filter. Four pops Broncolor C171 Beauty Light Contact Print 8x10 Arista #2 RC Multigrade dev. Again interesting how the red flowers go deep black. Classic Orthochromatic rendition.

DDudenbostel

I need to get off my lazy behind and go to my computer and post higher res files. Right now I’m being lazy and posting from my phone.

The first image is 5x7 shot with my Sinar Norma and 121 Super Angulon. I think the film was Royal Pan and shot around 1976. This is a little store, long since closed, a few minutes from my house.

The second is in a neighboring county shot on the 5x7 Norma and think it was a 210 Symmar. TX most likely in D76 shot in 1969.

The third was shot with my Canham traditional 5x7 and 240 G Claron and HP5 in HC110. Shot in 2008 I think.

The 4th image is with my 5x7 Deardorff and 240 G Claron and HP5 in HC110B if I remember correctly.

The 5th is from 1973 I think but can’t remember the lens but sure it was with my 4x5 Norma. Probably shot with 150 Symmar as the space was pretty tight. The film was a 4x5 TX film pack. Most likely developed in HC110B.

Attachments

Nokton48

What are faster films for 4x5? HP5?
I am going through this speed dilemma myself, with my handheld homemade Sinar Norma Handy 4x5. I have been using Ilford HP5+ in bulk 35mm rolls, shooting it at EI 1600, but developing according to Ilford's recommendation for EI 3200. This works VERY VERY WELL in 35mm, I can't imagine why it won't work, scaling it up to my need for high speed 4x5 with great tonality. Another I'm going to try based on LFF recommendations, is FOMA 200, pushed to EI 800. Will be interesting to see the tonality differences between the HP5+, and the EI 800 Foma 200. Wish something faster than 400 was made in 4x5, but I am pretty sure this will work for me. You might want to try something similar, EI 100 is pretty darn slow. Pushing HP5+ to EI 1600 with quality is not a big stretch at all. Another possibility is Kodak TMX400, I just bought 50 sheets, to shoot against the HP5+. But WOW it's 'spensive, Four Bucks a Sheet. EEK!

Last edited:

MartinN

If you can get Foma 100, 200 and 400, enjoy ! I shoot 100 and 200, and all of them are a bit different. Not like T-max 100 or Delta 100, but affordable and fun !

DDudenbostel

Here are a couple more from 2008. The first was shot on the Canham Traditional 5x7 and 240 G Claron. I believe the film was HP5 and developed in HC110B. The second I think was my Ebony 4x5 and probably the 240 G Claron or May have been a 210 Symmar S. Same film and development.

Attachments