The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Trogster

I've been experimenting with Efke PL iR820 Infra-Red film and my DIY 4x5 w/Hoya R72 these last couple days. Anyone who has tried IR film knows the challenges in getting the metering right. Especially when using an IR filter that often calls for a 5-stop exposure compensation.

I shot 6-sheets yesterday...all grossly underexposed.

Today I set my light meter for an ISO value of '6' and shot another 6 sheets.

Although exposure was better (f/22, 1-sec), the only shot that appeared reasonable was the one I accidently double-exposed.

IR-FIlter_Dbl-Exp_2021-10-02-0002.jpg

Last edited:

MartinN

I've been experimenting with Efke PL iR820 Infra-Red film and my DIY 4x5 these last couple days. Anyone who has tried IR film knows the challenges in getting the metering right. Especially when using an IR filter that often calls for a 5-stop exposure compensation.
IR exposure is indeed difficult and likewise all experimental slow film. I have aquired Rollei ATO 2.5 and Wephota FO 5 both Technical Ortho films, and in practice Lith films. Exposure latitude and contrast range is very narrow. And reciprocity indoors with normal contrast film is also tricky. Hovever, I have a trick for saving underexposed and thin negatives. I use Silverfast and they have Negafix film profiles. By selecting Negafix Vendor Other and Filmtype Other I get options for ISO/ASA : Standard, Linear and Monochrome. The Linear option works magic for thin negatives.

I have also experimented with compensating stand development and SLIMT but could not get SLIMT to give any better results than compensating development alone.

RodK

My 'Spring break' holiday, too wet for skiing.

SK Symmar S 100mm f5.6 , Fomapan 100 9x12cm , Graflex Crown Graphic
The snow pictures in B&W would benefit from an Orange filter as the filter helps pick up the texture of the snow. The snow is just a touch dull and smooth. Otherwise nice images.
Rod

MartinN

The snow pictures in B&W would benefit from an Orange filter as the filter helps pick up the texture of the snow. The snow is just a touch dull and smooth. Otherwise nice images.
Rod
Thanks, I usually carry color filters, but can't remember anymore, did I use a yellow or not.

Trogster

One more before I call it a night.
DIY4x5, 120mm Film: Efke IR820 (Ifra Red). F/22, 1/2 sec w/Hoya R72
Dev: Ilfosol3

Looks a bit offworldly? Not sure why it shows more grain then the one above shot at F/16?

2021-10-04-0002_post_reduced.jpg

Last edited:

MartinN

One more before I call it a night.
DIY4x5, 120mm Film: Efke IR820 (Ifra Red). F/22, 1/2 sec

Looks a bit offworldly? Not sure why it shows more grain then the one above shot at F/16?
Exposure index ISO 6 ? Good to know, but I have Hoya 720 nm R72 filter so probably not directly applicable.
820nm is BTW in my opinion really high cutoff.

Trogster

Exposure index ISO 6 ? Good to know, but I have Hoya 720 nm R72 filter so probably not directly applicable.
820nm is BTW in my opinion really high cutoff.
My bad... I neglected to mention that I too used the Hoya R72 filter. I've updated my prior posts accordingly.

r72_transm.png

Trogster

DIY4x5, 120mm Film: Efke IR820 (Ifra Red). F/22, 1/2 sec w/Hoya R72

So much grain for such a slow film? Plus it looks like I have a light leak.

2021-10-03-0001_Post.jpg

MartinN

There are not many producers making IR film anymore, and especially sheet film. You could probably compare Ilford SFX pseudo IR. I can see the ligth in center, but can’t say if it’s a light leak. I got uneven development with stand development and roll films on reel. Bromide drag because of too little agitation. And that was showing up like too bright negative exterior. Put a sheet in the camera with the holder darkslide removed and lens shut. Leave in light for a day and develop the sheet. Light leak should show up.

Trogster

There are not many producers making IR film anymore, and especially sheet film. You could probably compare Ilford SFX pseudo IR. I can see the ligth in center, but can’t say if it’s a light leak. I got uneven development with stand development and roll films on reel. Bromide drag because of too little agitation. And that was showing up like too bright negative exterior. Put a sheet in the camera with the holder darkslide removed and lens shut. Leave in light for a day and develop the sheet. Light leak should show up.

Look down the right-hand side of the photo... where you can see a 1/2-inch (12m) band that appears on all my shots taken at 1-sec. (I've taken to cropping it out on all these IR pics.)

I'm currently adding a light-seal on the dark-slide end of my DIY4X5. With hope that will deal with the leak.