The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

vjbelle

We hiked every morning and evening in Death Valley getting to locations we wanted to shoot. The hike to this was the shortest but I thought I was going to die getting there, only about 1/2 mile but a particularly steep grade. My daughter was with me on the trip so I was doing my best not to embarrass myself by repeatedly having to stop and catch my breath, I cannot ever remember being so grateful to reach a photographic location.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 Rodenstock 90mm 2 image pan
View attachment 201921
Fantastic shot Greg.... (y)

JeffK

This image in Death Valley is the largest I have ever shot, its was 9 images shot just as the sun was coming up but still blocked by the mountain behind me.
I've never done more that a 3 image horizontal stitch. If you don't mind sharing, do you start with 3 images at the top, then next row etc...

Any cautionary tales when doing stitching like this? I imagine there's limitations around long exposures? Clouds and reflections in water would likely end up not lining up over the time it would take to build the sequence?
Limitations are to keep it to unmoving objects? Mountain ranges and architecture?

Steve Hendrix

This image in Death Valley is the largest I have ever shot, its was 9 images shot just as the sun was coming up but still blocked by the mountain behind me.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 Rodenstock 90mm 9 image cropped to taste.
And that's the great thing about the 90. Perfect use case for this lens. Great image Greg! You can just walk right into it.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Greg Haag

I've never done more that a 3 image horizontal stitch. If you don't mind sharing, do you start with 3 images at the top, then next row etc...

Any cautionary tales when doing stitching like this? I imagine there's limitations around long exposures? Clouds and reflections in water would likely end up not lining up over the time it would take to build the sequence?
Limitations are to keep it to unmoving objects? Mountain ranges and architecture?
Jeff, this was my first time to try this, I started on the bottom row and worked my way up. I processed in capture one exported and did the stitching in Lightroom.

I would imagine you need the right opportunity for it to work well, particularly with sky and water as you mentioned. In this particular case the only challenge was the light was changing rapidly.

diggles

This image is from a section of the Poudre River Trail which is near my office. It's been a couple months since I've taken the IQ out and this morning's fog seemed like a good opportunity.

When I got back to the office to look at the image it was obvious that I hadn't used the camera for a while. I forgot to confirm that the lens tilt and swing was zero'd out. The plane of focus cuts through at an angle from the front right to the rear left. The focus is wasn't what I intended, but luckily it doesn't ruin the image.

Cambo WRS1600 + Phase One IQ4 150 + Schneider APO Digitar 60XL (15mm Camera Fall)

Cottonwood Tree Covered in Frost Near the Poudre River Trail by Warren Diggles, on Flickr

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This image is from a section of the Poudre River Trail which is near my office. It's been a couple months since I've taken the IQ out and this morning's fog seemed like a good opportunity.

When I got back to the office to look at the image it was obvious that I hadn't used the camera for a while. I forgot to confirm that the lens tilt and swing was zero'd out. The plane of focus cuts through at an angle from the front right to the rear left. The focus is wasn't what I intended, but luckily it doesn't ruin the image.

Cambo WRS1600 + Phase One IQ4 150 + Schneider APO Digitar 60XL (15mm Camera Fall)

Cottonwood Tree Covered in Frost Near the Poudre River Trail by Warren Diggles, on Flickr
A very nice image . Love it , although too cold for me .

tcdeveau

This has never happened to me, no idea what you're talking about here 😅