The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@ Thorkil: Great capture, beautiful animal! IDK if it's my monitors, but your images of late have appeared pretty dark to me? I understand the addition of vignette, but the image above seems a good 1-½ stops underexposed in the center to me. Is this an artistic choice?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
@ Thorkil: Great capture, beautiful animal! IDK if it's my monitors, but your images of late have appeared pretty dark to me? I understand the addition of vignette, but the image above seems a good 1-½ stops underexposed in the center to me. Is this an artistic choice?
Have you been to Denmark in October? It's dark. And wet. And mostly windy. The darkness in Thorkil's photos is exactly how I remember Denmark in the autumn. Time to find the nearest "kro" for "Den Store Frokostplatte" and "en lille en".

Thorkil

Hi Jack. It can be dangerous just to ask me simple questions while sometimes(/often) I tend to do long answers instead of what ought to be a simple answer.

Well, it might be a mental state, a Corona moody blues. For a long time it has been hard for me to upload pictures here, because of what’s going on over there by you. For a long time, I have been in a sort of state of chock. And I was puzzling with a thought of making a new tread here in the Nikon Forum (because that’s where I mostly belong, I think) called “Dark thoughts during Corona”, but then I gave up because it could quickly be interpreted as some political statement, even though for my part, its sort of very human considerations. And in that considerations, it should be sort of getting it out of my mind and body, and be able to getting along with my pictures. But I turned it down, because of fear of reactions. But for my part it would have served my mental state rather good, and could have “brushed things of” a bit.

I’m still in a constant chock, and here in Denmark we a being overloaded with news from USA, constantly and all the time, I really don’t get it, and sometimes I just have to find another channel when some person always turns up, because I’m actually almost getting sick.

So, it has been really hard for me just to continue with “sweat pictures”, because my mind so often is very alarmed and concerned.

I wish I had tried to write a chronicle to New York Times or something, “From a friendly Dane to the American people”. But I didn’t even give it a try, and shame on me. And I guess they would not have brought it either.

And sitting back, my thoughts are in short, and hopefully sufficient political innocent, I just wish I could loan you the Danish welfare system (and healthcare), just for a couple of years (or hundred..?), while things might have been so much different I guess, less hate, more carefulness, more caring for each others, more economical security for each person and family (which look like is desperately needed), more satisfaction in all, it might have provided, perhaps.. and just a humble guess.

(and the climate change and needed actions is another and even more alarming issue, but I will spare you…)

That has been my Corona-mood’s. But apart from that, the Corona has in the positive way, provided calmness in the society, less traffic outside our windows, less screaming and monkey-acting youngsters on the streets in the late evenings and nights. The city-stress have been turned down. And for the first time in decades we have been able to almost count the windows over by the coastline of Sweden, everything has been so (alarming as it is from the normal state) fresh and clear. And that have been a relief. But in a moment or two its just going on, the consumptions will accelerate and so will pollution and CO2 exhaust. Will we ever learn? Will we ever stop and think? No, is the short answer, never will it happen.

So, back to your question, I think it’s a mix of all that, and technical for a wish for turning the brightness down, for more soft colors, while damping the light (brightness) is the same result as going out on a grey day, the colors turns out to bee more pastel-like, more strong in the damped way. (but in that picture I should have turned the saturation a bit down, I regret)

- that’s why, Jack 😊

Last edited:

dave.gt

Never apologize for your images! Images and emotions are forever linked. I prefer the darker contrastier look personally. But then, I too, can not look at life as rosey and Disney-like wonderful, because it is not.

Life is precious and we can help each other and find real beauty. But life and beauty are transient and must continue by replacement moment to moment. Unfortunately, we destroy and pollute our world and it too must be managed properly. We all have awesome responsibilities. :)

You are not alone about the condition our condition is in. It could/may easily be much worse in a short period of time. Or, we may see deliverance from our own actions.

Again, one's art must express one's inner being. That in itself is a beautiful thing. But don't stop! One's expression today will differ from that uttered, drawn, written or photographed in the future. We all weave a tapestry each day and we can look back and see the design unfold. But it is not done until we are finished.

Let's see what you present as time goes by. I am sure it will be quite lovely.:)

KeithL

Thorkil, thanks for that post: it resonated.

My own work has taken a very different path during the pandemic. Gone is the light, the colour and life, that pathway has now veered towards the dark, the monochromatic and mortality. I don't see this as a negative, perhaps it is inevitable, to be encouraged of an image maker, as an expression of our mindset and the times in which we find ourselves. I have found making my recent work to be surprisingly therapeutic.

Innocence

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
All understandable feelings and emotions. And I think healthy to reflect in your own art. But I personally have a completely different outlook. The pandemic happened. There are probably a million viruses in other animals right now that would be extremely dangerous to humans if they jumped. With the Earth warming even if only 1% of them come to where they can jump to humans, we as a species are going to be facing a lot more of this, not less... The pandemic is. No single individual, nor even an entire country can stop it. As individuals we will either adapt or succumb -- but most relevant I think, is it remains our own choice as to how we react. I terminated all of my social media accounts for all the BS negativity and arguing from all sides, a lot of it from people I used to respect. I'm optimistic we will never devolve to that here on GetDPI.

I lost a good friend to cancer several years ago. At the onset she had been classified as terminal and was given 2 years tops. She lived another 15. She had an impressive philosophy, and one that I had to work at myself to actually adopt, but I was finally able to and it has served me well as I've faced my own life hurdles: "If you wait until conditions warrant you being happy, you'll never be happy. If you're happy now, you'll be happy forever."

KeithL

I have been archive diving again and reprocessed this one from 2013! I hope it is seen as calming rather than bleak given the tone of the thread at the moment?
Caithness...

I see the image as calming and bleak. I like it very much.

Thorkil

All understandable feelings and emotions. And I think healthy to reflect in your own art. But I personally have a completely different outlook. The pandemic happened. There are probably a million viruses in other animals right now that would be extremely dangerous to humans if they jumped. With the Earth warming even if only 1% of them come to where they can jump to humans, we as a species are going to be facing a lot more of this, not less... The pandemic is. No single individual, nor even an entire country can stop it. As individuals we will either adapt or succumb -- but most relevant I think, is it remains our own choice as to how we react. I terminated all of my social media accounts for all the BS negativity and arguing from all sides, a lot of it from people I used to respect. I'm optimistic we will never devolve to that here on GetDPI.

I lost a good friend to cancer several years ago. At the onset she had been classified as terminal and was given 2 years tops. She lived another 15. She had an impressive philosophy, and one that I had to work at myself to actually adopt, but I was finally able to and it has served me well as I've faced my own life hurdles: "If you wait until conditions warrant you being happy, you'll never be happy. If you're happy now, you'll be happy forever."
I use to say, it takes a happy man/woman to be a happy man/woman. It's meant more seriously than it sounds.
But I use to recon that I can't rely to be a happy man, (at a relative high age one learn to live and accept with one selves) things are often scratching in my soul, and I have to balance what is out of balance in my own way.
And words can often be the balancing act, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.