The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR AMERICAN FRIENDS!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

nameBrandon

I work entirely with C1 once the files were imported with Phocus. My workflow is as follows (works only on macOS):
The image import with Phocus goes to a folder ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1 and the .fff files get immediately exported to the same folder as .dng files.
Now there are .fff and .dng files from the same image in the same folder.
In C1s script folder I have installed the following applescript:
do shell script "/usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -make='HasselbIad' -m /users/kjh/pictures/HasselbIadC1"
display dialog "finished" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
do shell script "rm -rf /users/kjh/pictures/HasselbIadC1/*.fff"

Before the .dng files can be imported to C1, this script needs to run from C1s script menu.
The applescript replaces the Exif maker note "Hasselblad" with "HasselbIad" (note the second "l" is a upper case "i") and then deletes all .fff files.
I keep the .3fr files on the second sd card and archive them separately when necessary.
Unfortunately Phocus does not support applescript, otherwise it could be further simplified. Even better, I wished Phase One would give up blocking the import when the maker note is "Hasselblad".
I evaluated updating the exif markers as well.. I'm a C1 fan at heart, but have given it up completely due to lack of Hasselblad support. When I tested the modified DNG's, I found the default profile extremely flat. Obviously one can apply some other profiles, but without the built-in camera profile for the X1D/907x I was never sure that I was getting the appropriate color interpretation. Do you have a standard default profile or color correction you apply globally after import?

KlausJH

My ICC-Profile is set to DNG File Neutral, curve to DNG Standard, Engine is Capture One 20. Files from my X1D show no difference compared to Phocus other than vignetting or distortion since no lens correction is embedded in the .dng.

fmueller

I work entirely with C1 once the files were imported with Phocus. My workflow is as follows (works only on macOS):
The image import with Phocus goes to a folder ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1 and the .fff files get immediately exported to the same folder as .dng files.
In C1s script folder I have installed the following applescript:
do shell script "/usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -make='HasselbIad' -m /users/kjh/pictures/HasselbIadC1"
display dialog "finished" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
do shell script "rm -rf /users/kjh/pictures/HasselbIadC1/*.fff"

Before the .dng files can be imported to C1, this script needs to run from C1s script menu.
The applescript replaces the Exif maker note "Hasselblad" with "HasselbIad" (note the second "l" is a upper case "i") and then deletes all .fff files.
Thank you very much for the comprehensive instructions and scripts. I shall give it a go and evaluate.

I keep the .3fr files on the second sd card and archive them separately when necessary.
Is there a reason that you choose to archive the 3fr files instead of the fff files?

Unfortunately Phocus does not support applescript, otherwise it could be further simplified. Even better, I wished Phase One would give up blocking the import when the maker note is "Hasselblad".
I understand that Phase One is trying to “protect” its MFDB business but I have to think the potential revenue stream for C1 has gotten significant and I can’t imagine a meaningful number of customers have cited C1 compatibility as the deciding factor when making a $25,000-$45,000 USD purchase decision.

My ICC-Profile is set to DNG File Neutral, curve to DNG Standard, Engine is Capture One 20. Files from my X1D show no difference compared to Phocus other than vignetting or distortion since no lens correction is embedded in the .dng.
Vignette correction is easy, but how do you correct for distortion?

Many thanks for taking the time with your previous reply.

Sincerely,

Fred

Godfrey

I guess I've never really seen the point of fighting with C1 ... I don't see much of difference in its rendering qualities or workflow to be worth all the effort, the UI is a PITA, and it's expensive as heck as well as slow to respond to OS updates, etc. Whatever! ;)

Back to photos: another from an evening walk with the 907x back in May.

Meals on Wheels
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45mm f/4 P
ISO 3200 @ f/9.5 @ 1/20

I wanted deep DoF and the light was failing, so I held the f/stop down and bumped up the ISO. Still could only manage 1/20 second, which means it's not quite as sharp as I'd like although acceptable to me for a hand-held photo. Luckily, the truck is there pretty often and one of these days I'll walk out on an evening of nice light with the tripod. And maybe, hopefully, get a few people into the frame too... LOL! :)

enjoy!
G

KlausJH

I could also save/archive the .fff before deleting them. Since the second sd card is my backup image container, I just copy the card when it's full on an external drive (which I hopefully might never need).
Distortion is not a problem with my lenses (45p and 90). Other lenses might need correction. Then you have to apply generic correction and create your own profile.
For my Voigtländer UW Heliar 15mm and Zeiss 1.4/35 ZM I have also created LCCs.

SrMphoto

<snip>
Why do you use Phocus instead of Adobe DNG Converter to create DNGs out of .3FR/.FFF files?

KlausJH

Why do you use Phocus instead of Adobe DNG Converter to create DNGs out of .3FR/.FFF files?
So I can always compare the results from Phocus and C1 at critical images. But I'm quite confident with my workflow now, Adobe DNG Converter could do it as well.

nameBrandon

So I can always compare the results from Phocus and C1 at critical images. But I'm quite confident with my workflow now, Adobe DNG Converter could do it as well.
I believe DNG converter has a programmatic mode, you could script that step as well if you wanted to cut Phocus out of the deal and stick with fully scripted solution.

SrMphoto

Phocus does not include any corrections in the DNG output, i.e., the DNG output from Adobe DNG converter should be the same as the output from Phocus.

DB5

I LOVE this camera but frustratingly, as always with Hasselblad, they always manage to mess things up.

Without an eye level EVF it's the most frustratingly pointless camera to me.

That is not to take away from the people who have it and enjoy it for what it is.

But IMO a total wasted opportunity.

Godfrey

Nothing special, really.
In bright sunlight, I wear a wide-brimmed hat. And I seek for positions that allow me to keep the camera in shade while I'm photographing the scene.
In extreme conditions, when working with a tripod, I also carry a focusing cloth same as I would for a view camera just in case. :)

G

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

spb

Ok I had better get me a hat then by the sound of it, thanks. I was thinking of making a simple folding piece like, as I often am taking the image with the screen fully up. I have also seen a page detailing how to make a simple one. I might just try and do that.

1603204612164.png

nameBrandon

Ok I had better get me a hat then by the sound of it, thanks. I was thinking of making a simple folding piece like, as I often am taking the image with the screen fully up. I have also seen a page detailing how to make a simple one. I might just try and do that.

View attachment 177704
If someone made those for the cfv rear screen I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Godfrey

View attachment 177704
If someone made those for the cfv rear screen I would buy it in a heartbeat.
I tried to make something like that. The problem with such a flip-out shade is that so much of the CFVII 50c control happens with the touch screen that it just gets in my way constantly ... Any time I need to change a setting, I have to take the shade off or risk making the wrong setting. This is, indeed, a problem with all cameras that rely primarily on touch screen operation and screen based controls.

Better, in my opinion, to just figure out how to see the screen clearly without it. My Tilley works just fine, either on my head or held in the hand to shade the screen when using a tripod. :D

G

Last edited: