The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

bythewei

You don't need autofocus to photograph things that move. I had a small business once upon a time photographing events at motor racing circuits. I used a Nikon F and a Mamiya 1000TL to capture racing cars and motorcycles in action. It takes timing and an understanding of where to place the focus and when to release the shutter. I could do the same with the 907x today. Same goes for shooting photographs of people, and anything else.

I've been doing photography since 1965. I didn't own an autofocus camera at all until about 1999. I still don't use AF very much even today. AF has always been a useful convenience only, when it works for the particular subject at hand, and it is always a convenience. Being slavishly dependent upon autofocus limits what you can do with any camera.

G
Completely agree with you on that one. I've had much better results with my adapted lenses than the 45P, and think I am going to stick with them for a while!

Paratom

I had the chance to handle the 907x today and it felt as good in hand as I could imagine if not better. this is really a beautiful piece. I am not a retro-type-person but this just feels good in hands.
My 45/3.5 fits quite good size wise. Here is the first typical pet shot ;)
B0000005.jpg

spb

I had the chance to handle the 907x today and it felt as good in hand as I could imagine if not better. this is really a beautiful piece. I am not a retro-type-person but this just feels good in hands.
My 45/3.5 fits quite good size wise. Here is the first typical pet shot ;)
View attachment 180047
Couldn't agree more, lovely to look at, lovely to use and of course the results are well worth the purchase.

Paratom

by the way, while I can take images of my kid and dog with the X system in many situations, there are also situations where a fast and good AF allow to get the shot. Sports, where you dont know in which place the final action will happen, or the dog running towards you and you do want to take more than one image at a prefocused position. But I would not expect any medium format system to deliver such AF function.

Godfrey

by the way, while I can take images of my kid and dog with the X system in many situations, there are also situations where a fast and good AF allow to get the shot. Sports, where you dont know in which place the final action will happen, or the dog running towards you and you do want to take more than one image at a prefocused position. But I would not expect any medium format system to deliver such AF function.
Fast and consistently accurate AF can help expand the photographic possibilities. There's some amazing stuff that having good AF can allow you to do that is hard to do otherwise. But I am very uncomfortable with being completely dependent upon it to get the photos I want...

I also wouldn't depend upon the X system for all my photographic needs ... That's why I haven't sold my Leica, my Olympus, my Panasonic, et al... :)

G

spb

I always have traded in order to buy new. Sometimes I wish I had kept my Leica M10 or Fuji Xpro. Otherwise I am happy with ‘only’ the 907X.

Godfrey

Sounds like a veritable museum collection
It's bad. I've lost count of how many cameras are jammed into every nook and cranny. And this is after I did a major purge and sold/gave away 30-50 of them! LOL!

another musuem guy here, but I work on it. ;)
I've pretty much given up. I've mostly stopped buying, that's all.

I always have traded in order to buy new. Sometimes I wish I had kept my Leica M10 or Fuji Xpro. Otherwise I am happy with ‘only’ the 907X.
I do that with the costly stuff, can't afford to keep relatively new, expensive digital cameras sitting on a shelf—all they're doing is losing value that way. However, I have just six digital cameras ... I have way more film cameras of all different kinds. While very high quality and desirable to me, they often have no appreciable resale value.

G

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

Ai_Print

I have zero problems relying solely on AF to attain images either for my own personal use or for client use. And so far, I am fine with the AF on the 907X and 45P, even in low light. It only takes about 1 second to hunt down in most cases in low light so for what I expect it to do, I can trust it.

I took a handful of images around the house and I really dig the lens, plenty sharp and really a nice size for the 907X. The whole little package is about as small as you can get, shown next to my Leica M10P with the 35mm 1.4....
Tinys.jpg

Here is one for Godfrey...;-)
ForGodfrey.jpg

And one out my dining room window at sundown this evening, ISO 1600 @F4...
1600@F4.jpg

I don't know that I will to need get another XCD lens as this is mostly for my V system but for my long duration road trips that are 99.99% film with my V system, this presents a great walk about that might otherwise be filled with the Leica. I will say this though, if I am going to use this combo or even the back on my V system and see the screen in bright snow, I *really* need to get a loupe that shades it.

Fun little camera though, quite the looker too which some clients always appreciate.

spb

I do that with the costly stuff, can't afford to keep relatively new, expensive digital cameras sitting on a shelf—all they're doing is losing value that way. However, I have just six digital cameras ... I have way more film cameras of all different kinds. While very high quality and desirable to me, they often have no appreciable resale value.

G
Your approach makes sense Godfrey.

Paratom

I also traded in some equipment when buying the 907x. And some is now on ebay.
It is still a ton. I wouldnt sell my old M6, or the Nikon F6.
But its so much choices I own, that it allmost confuses me and my goal is more simplicity.

Ai_Print

Had a good time working on a COVID project today, mostly film in a V body but also tried out the 907X / 45P and did quite well. Still having a hard time seeing that rear LCD in sunny day light though.

One quick question, I set the crop to square expecting it to be like my Nikon Z7 in that is what the camera writes to the card and that is not the case with the 907X 50C? All my images came back regular aspect ratio so that is a bit of an unexpected waste of storage. Am I doing something wrong?

Pic from today...

Blue.jpg

Arjuna

One quick question, I set the crop to square expecting it to be like my Nikon Z7 in that is what the camera writes to the card and that is not the case with the 907X 50C? All my images came back regular aspect ratio so that is a bit of an unexpected waste of storage. Am I doing something wrong?
Assuming that it is the same as an X1D, if you open it in Phocus, the crop is honoured, but the file has the full sensor image. This allows you to adjust the crop during post-processing. I presume that the crop is written in the file metadata, which Phocus recognizes, but other software doesn't.

Hi and a happy new year to everyone!

there were some thoughts in this thread about a left hand grip for the 907x and just in case it is still helpful to anyone: This is my solution and it really is a joy to use, can be mounted in seconds and gives me a L bracket on top. It is a 3 Legged Thing Ellie PD and a grip from Camvate or HDrig (Wholesae HDRig QR Arca style wooden grip)

Kind regards

Wolfgang

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpegIMG_0456.jpeg

o

Joe Colson

Wolfgang, that's one helluva grip!! Thanks for sharing your solution. I'll be sticking with the stock right-hand grip for now.

Joe

Reactions: spb

Godfrey

Holidays being over, it was time for the annual "take down the decorations, pack 'em away, record the cards and letters..." exercise.

I set the 907x up on my copy stand with the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm fitted. Hmm, the touch screen isn't responding correctly. Oh yeah: the spirit level bug that I reported way back in March ... it only happens when I have the camera on a copy stand pointed straight down. I presume this is an improperly initialized position sensor chip. I forced initialization by setting a custom level setting, and the problem disappeared. Again. LOL! I'll report there's still a problem to Anthony at Hasselblad in the morning. :)

Anyway, I then set the height and focus and captured all the cards and envelopes. 290 exposures ... battery now down to 30%. Hmm. While I had the camera set up for flat art capture, I captured all the instant prints that have been waiting for a copy and scan session. I swapped to a fresh battery, reconfigured the setup for the instant print sizing, and captured another 200 or so of them. That pulled the fresh battery down to about half so I charged both the first and the second batteries up again after I was done, with my third in the camera.

The results are great! The 907x is a pretty darn nice copy camera to work with.

Construction Fence Against Sunset - Santa Clara 2020
Polaroid SLR670x by MiNT
Polaroid 600 Color
Scanned with Hasselblad 907x + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Hi and a happy new year to everyone!

there were some thoughts in this thread about a left hand grip for the 907x and just in case it is still helpful to anyone: This is my solution and it really is a joy to use, can be mounted in seconds and gives me a L bracket on top. It is a 3 Legged Thing Ellie PD and a grip from Camvate or HDrig (Wholesae HDRig QR Arca style wooden grip)

Kind regards
Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang! Happy New Year!

That grip looks good.. They make a couple of different grip shapes too, there's a slightly smaller one that looks right for what I want.

For my purposes, I'd like it to be angled forward about 40-50 degrees for a 'waist level' grip position. I was meandering around the Camvate and HDrig sites and there seems to be a Rosette mount that would do what I want, but I don't see that coupled to an Arca Swiss type clamp ... I'll contact them and see what can be put together that works the way I want.

My project to make one of these myself has been on the back burner for a bit but I have everything but the wooden grip itself already. However, making and fitting the grip is a good bit of work ... If I can find something already made that works and isn't too expensive, it will expedite my finishing the project. :)

G