The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Wattsy said : The 907X and 45P are ideal for casual handheld landscape. Here's a few taken in this manner .
Vinyl_TO said : It is surprising how well it works handheld. What are your thought as a newish owner?

I found , that it works fine for landscape scenes , but for all other scenes , I will always use a tripod . There is too much rework required in PS or CI or whatever you use .

wattsy

It is surprising how well it works handheld. What are your thought as a newish owner?
I really like the waist level type framing view. For me, that's the USP of the 907x otherwise I'd probably have bought the X1D II (the latter being slightly cheaper). It might sound slightly odd but I bought the 907x to take the place of my iPhone for certain photographs. I'm mostly a film photographer but I often use my iPhone for quite casual photographs (including landscapes) and found that I enjoy photographing using a touch screen held away from my head. I've taken a number of photos with my iPhone that I otherwise really like but have been unsatisfied with the pixel level quality and ability to print, etc. I hope the 907x fits into this role as a camera that I can use without having to look through a viewfinder but with much higher quality than an iPhone. So far, it has surpassed my expectations – especially the colour.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Again "HAND HELD the 907x" .

I have done quite some shots with the 907x + 4/45p lens + grip , hand held as a test for handheld . I still dont like it .
Many years ago , I bought a GITZO monopod , but did not use it much at all .
I have now mounted the 907x + grip on top of the monopod and find , that works fine for me .
Is there anyone else using a monopod with the 907x combo and who could share his/her experience here ? ? ?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Goeff for your hint .
I did some search in internet and found this . Not cheap , but it seams to be very handy . Currently only available for Europe by LANHORSE or ETSY U.S.

LANHORSE 907x CAGE.jpg

Geoff

Jurgen -
That certainly is attractive, a wee bit pricey. The advantages of the ones posted earlier are:
- the L bracket stays on the camera, giving you Arca Swiss fitting for tripod use, both orientations
- wood handle clamps on easily, removable for transit, adjustable
- there is air between handle and L bracket, allowing for "dangling" the camera comfortably walking, balanced even with 65mm lens...
- inexpensive
But YMMV. :)
Geoff

Hassy wood handle IMG_7418.jpg

Last edited:

richardman

Sensei Seiichi Tanaka, THE person who bought the art of taiko to the US more than 50 years ago. He is still teaching new generations of taiko players. I went to the practice place this Saturday and took photos of their practice, and then took a few shots of Sensei with the Hasselblad 110 on the 203FE and CFV II 50C

B9985777.jpg

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen -
That certainly is attractive, a wee bit pricey. The advantages of the ones posted earlier are:
- the L bracket stays on the camera, giving you Arca Swiss fitting for tripod use, both orientations
- there is air between handle and L bracket, allowing for "dangling" the camera comfortalby walking, balanced even with 65mm lens...
- inexpensive
Geoff

View attachment 204756
Thank you Geoff for your additional info .
All solutions have their pros and cons . I have not made up my mind yet and I am in no hurry .

tobiasash

A couple of portraits of my good friend Alastair in his studio.
Alastair_0012-Edit-2_2000px.jpg
Taken with the 907x and the 45mm 3.5.

Alastair_0004-Edit copy_2000px.jpg
907x and the 90mm 3.2
This was my first time shooting the 907x handheld. While I was happy with the results the ergonomics weren't the best so I sourced a X1D11 which I am really enjoying!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen -
- there is air between handle and L bracket, allowing for "dangling" the camera comfortably walking, balanced even with 65mm lens...
- inexpensive
Geoff

View attachment 204756
Geoff

Can you please give some more detail about the grip combination , which you show in your image .
Thank you . Best regards . Jürgen .

Geoff

Geoff

Can you please give some more detail about the grip combination , which you show in your image .
Thank you . Best regards . Jürgen .
This is a two part assembly, sourced from two vendors. Thanks to Darr for these recommendations - wisely offered as usual:
- The L mount (Arca Swiss compatible) comes from: Kirk Universal L-Bracket Small. She noted It has a rubberized pad on the bottom for protection, fits the 907x with the back just perfect, and has the nice ability to stow the hex wrench underneath the bracket. Good build quality!
- The wooden handle comes from: CAMVATE Left Side Wooden Handle Grip and slides into the side of the L mount, and clamps wherever. You can vary the location, take it off for packing.

I have the Hassy handle as well, which has never been used. Prefer this setup as lighter, flexible, and more comfortable. Hope this helps.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This is a two part assembly, sourced from two vendors. Thanks to Darr for these recommendations - wisely offered as usual:
- The L mount (Arca Swiss compatible) comes from: Kirk Universal L-Bracket Small. She noted It has a rubberized pad on the bottom for protection, fits the 907x with the back just perfect, and has the nice ability to stow the hex wrench underneath the bracket. Good build quality!
- The wooden handle comes from: CAMVATE Left Side Wooden Handle Grip and slides into the side of the L mount, and clamps wherever. You can vary the location, take it off for packing.

I have the Hassy handle as well, which has never been used. Prefer this setup as lighter, flexible, and more comfortable. Hope this helps.
Thank you Geoff . A very nice answer . I will investigete . Also , I will check my "magic box" , where I have loads of accessories and clamps and other forgotten things .
The camvate wooden grip is nice . :)(y):)
I have the HASSY grip since I got the 907x and never used it ,till I recently tried it and found it very handy .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Now , here is my solution for a leftside handgrip for the 907x 50c camera .

ALPA GRIP 5907.jpg

It is an ALPA grip , a MENGS QR clamp K30 and a ROLLEI L-BRACKET .

This are the three parts . The ALPA grip fits perfectly to the K30 QR clamp . Just by luck , the two safety pins of the ALPA grip fit into the groove of the QR clamp .
Therefore , no rework of any kind was required for any of the parts .

ALPA GRIP 5903.jpg

ALPA GRIP 5902.jpg

The "Missing link" or the key part was the little QR clamp with the correct groove and te correct thread in the middle hole .

I bought the two ALPA grips many years ago for my STC which is sold in the meantime . So they were a kind of leftover . I have two different L-brackets . The one , mounted to the 907x is a ROLLEI bracket . Adjustable and very solid .

This image shows the second grip with my SONY @7

ALPA GRIP 5909.jpg

I hope , you like what you see . Jürgen .

Godfrey

For most things, for me, the 907x needs a hand grip. I have the Hasselblad smart hand grip but it's too upright and works best with the optical finder and a wide angle lens, it makes the 907x very bulky to carry. So, a long time ago now, I made my left side handgrip setup with an L-bracket, mini clamp, and rosette so I could angle the grip to suit whatever needs I might have. I posted photos of the setup here long ago (lol ... 2021) : https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU4o1ia

It doesn't solve the bulkiness problem, but I can slide the grip on or off in a second and store it separately from the camera. It does give me the appropriate standoff from the camera body for best stability with my particular musculature. And I do use a tripod most of the time when I work with the 907x ... like most Hasselblads, to me, this is a camera that begs a tripod for most work.

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . .And I do use a tripod most of the time when I work with the 907x ... like most Hasselblads, to me, this is a camera that begs a tripod for most work.

I can only agree to that . I have a similar second handgrip solution , but am not really happy with it . I think , bulky is the correct word for any handgrip solution . And yes , a tripod is very much welcome . :)

tobiasash

Lovely portraits! What's your B&W sauce formulation?
Hi, Sorry I didnt see this. Conversion was done in Phocus and then i just played with the levels and a couple of contrast layers in PS. Very new to the process so I am sorry I cant go into more detail.