The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV ll 50c

nameBrandon

I just got the OVF and the grip for the 907X SE (ordered from Hasselblad). Here are my first impressions.

The grip improves the handholding of the camera. Front and rear dial, AF-D button, all the control that I missed are present. The tripod plate contact surface is now much smaller, but it should be OK. I like it a lot!

The OVF is less impressive. It contains lots of distortion; the framing lines are barely visible in dim light; the XCD 30 lens blocks a large part of the bottom area, and the camera becomes a bit cumbersome with the OVF sticking at the top. I do not see myself using it often.

I am waiting for the Bay Area air quality to improve before trying it outside.
Thank you for the update! I had suspected the OVF was not going to add a ton as far as true usability without electronic integration, so I had held off on picking it up until I had some time to use the grip and get a feel for it. Is there a manual for the grip? I'd love to ask you a bunch of questions on usability but I'm guessing if I read the manual I could save you some time.. :)

Godfrey

Thank you for the update! I had suspected the OVF was not going to add a ton as far as true usability without electronic integration, so I had held off on picking it up until I had some time to use the grip and get a feel for it. Is there a manual for the grip? I'd love to ask you a bunch of questions on usability but I'm guessing if I read the manual I could save you some time.. :)
I don't see a manual posted for the accessory viewfinder yet, but how complicated can it be? You replace the front Hasselblad badge with the viewfinder mount and then fit the viewfinder to the shoe on top of it. There are frame lines for 21, 30, and 45mm lenses ... pick which lines you're using depending on what lens you fit.

It has just about exactly the same utility as the SWC viewfinder, except for the in-viewfinder level indication. You can use the indicators on the LCD for that. When I had the SWCs, I used the viewfinder quite a lot at first, then later realized I could visualize the FoV very easily without it. It will be a little more useful with the 30 and 45 mm lenses, used with AF and the center cross.

This isn't rocket science ... It's just a viewfinder. Simple and direct. I like the concept a lot, am very familiar with it from similar use of viewfinders on other cameras. If you have a need for careful, critical framing, you use the LCD, just like with the SWC when you need critical framing, you remove the back and focus/frame with the focusing ground glass accessory back.

We're not talking a multimode, "does everything for you," automation-based kind of camera here. The 907x is essentially a very simple camera ... that's what I love about it. :)

G

SrMphoto

Yes, the control grip comes with a manual. The manual has two pages per language, without much relevant information.
Since I am stuck indoors, I have plenty of time. :)

JAB

The 907x 50c manual available at the Hasselblad site has grip information starting on page 94. The grip does definitely look interesting. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 907x 50c on Monday!

SrMphoto

The 907x 50c manual available at the Hasselblad site has grip information starting on page 94. The grip does definitely look interesting. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 907x 50c on Monday!
Thank you for the hint, that is a much better grip manual than the one included with the grip :).

The joystick is an exciting addition, though, because it is angled, it can be hard to differentiate between joystick move and press. I probably need more practice.

With the attached grip, one does not need to use the touch screen at all. An affixable hood loupe could transform the LCD to a tiltable EVF.

nameBrandon

I don't see a manual posted for the accessory viewfinder yet, but how complicated can it be? You replace the front Hasselblad badge with the viewfinder mount and then fit the viewfinder to the shoe on top of it. There are frame lines for 21, 30, and 45mm lenses ... pick which lines you're using depending on what lens you fit.

G
Agreed.. that's why I was asking if there was a manual for the grip, not the viewfinder.

Is there a manual for the grip?
:p :D

THANK YOU!!

I had been looking in the CFVii50c manual and not the 907x.. good find.

I found exactly what I had hoped!

Note!
the four top buttons (3,4, 7 and 8) can be reprogrammed to a different function as described on page 134.
And.. look what I see in the background.. "AE-L"!!! That was one of the main sore points I had between the X1D II and the 907x, was the lack of AE-L.

If someone has a moment and is on the latest FW / with grip I would love to see if AE-L is in fact an option to map to one of the buttons or if Hasselblad just re-used a screen capture from X1D II menus out of.. "efficiency".

ael.jpg

Godfrey

Agreed.. that's why I was asking if there was a manual for the grip, not the viewfinder.

Doh! My mistake! :D

I see that docs for both the optical viewfinder (page 100) and the control grip (page 96) are in the 907x-50c-User-Guide.pdf, but they haven't been added to the 907X-Special-Edition-User-Guide.pdf ...

G

SrMphoto

THANK YOU!!

I had been looking in the CFVii50c manual and not the 907x.. good find.

I found exactly what I had hoped!

And.. look what I see in the background.. "AE-L"!!! That was one of the main sore points I had between the X1D II and the 907x, was the lack of AE-L.

If someone has a moment and is on the latest FW / with grip I would love to see if AE-L is in fact an option to map to one of the buttons or if Hasselblad just re-used a screen capture from X1D II menus out of.. "efficiency".

View attachment 151147
Indeed, AE-L is an option for the AF-D button once the grip is attached. Confirmed that it works :).

nameBrandon

Indeed, AE-L is an option for the AF-D button once the grip is attached. Confirmed that it works :).
:: happy dance :: :clap::thumbs::clap:

Will have to evaluate the ergonomics and workflow with the grip, but it's possible now that AE-L is there I *could* sell the X1D II. Interesting..

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have, for the sake of testing, and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the hassle if you intend to use Phocus or Lightroom lens corrections. There was no color issue to fix, only vignetting.

I have done a test with the 4/45P lens and LCC shot today . I can only agree to the above and state , there is no LCC shot required .
Following the scene correction procedure in PHOCUS , it is extremely difficult to see any change in the colors at all .

FloatingLens

That's an interesting one.
Which leads to a wider set of questions:
- is this new Mk II version more optimized for the newer close-flange-distance XCD optics or for the older long-flange-distance V lenses?
Couple of impressions of handling my newly acquired CFV II 50c (Std Ed) and putting it through its paces with respect to image capture:
  • definitely some cost cutting measures throughout the experience of owning a medium format digital back, like the protective cover of the back now being plastic instead of metal as I was used from those Phase One backs of old
  • one side effect of this: there are no rubber inserts that prevent the back from sliding on a flat surface. I took that detail for granted on the Phase One backs which cannot accidentally be brushed from a table. Nothing has happened so far, one just needs to place it with its cover vertically on the table.
  • in that sense, sensor and the whole back feel not as well protected overall. that being said, I also see the benefit of cutting weight of a full medium format digital system with lots of heavy glass
  • combined with old V glass and V body: resolutions of 50MP are obviously rather demanding on the whole camera system, but my cameras have been cleaned and adjusted not too long ago. I can confirm general consensus in this forum that the Planar 3.5/100 still shines with fantastic resolution even on a digital back made in the year 2020.
Sonnar 5.6/250 Superachromat resolution is pretty much out of this world, the CFV II 50c electronic shutter and live view are crucial to harness the full "digital" resolution of this lens, which is "elusive" to obtain with mechanical shutter and focussing via ground glass in my experience (still film negatives are exceptional as well). My copy of the SA dates back to 1972, which demonstrates what kind of marvel this lens must have been when it was turned into reality by Zeiss all those years ago.

My theory: I'd believe Hasselblad to optimise the X system including the CFV II 50c (sensor stack, microlenses etc.) for digital lenses and their native flange distance first. The majority of V lenses happen to work well, too, due to "extreme distance" between the final lens vertex and sensor.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
CFV II 50c .jpg

An other solution for a very effective lens hood . Lens XCD 4/45P + Heliopan stepup ring 62mm > 67mm + JJC standard lens hood 67mm . It has the correct front diameter . There is no vignetting .

Godfrey

Very nice, Jürgen.

BTW: What camera plate are you using in that photo? It seems to fit very nicely.

G

elm

Jurgen,

Thank you for sharing a photo of your kit! (Exactly the kit I would like to order!)

How are you finding the handling using the OVF? Are you finding the framing with the 45P (or a 21 or 30) fairly accurate when composing your photos? (I'm sure you still check the screen to ensure it is what you wanted in the frame.) Can you share some insight on your workflow while using the OVF with 907x 50c? Interested on your experience, a-la SWC with OVF, and the exposure setting you are using to do your capture. Is it awkward carrying the camera around (as a walk around camera) with the OVF (seem less secure than the OVF on the SWC); can it be used as a point and shoot camera for say street shooting or candid photos while traveling (sorry--a $8K point and shoot is a bit over kill, but there are times that would be kind of fun if one can do it and them go beck to "serious mode" with the kit when one needs to).

Thank you for your insight in advance! Enjoy your camera!!!!!!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Very nice, Jürgen.

BTW: What camera plate are you using in that photo? It seems to fit very nicely.

G
Hello Godfrey

The camera plate is self made .
I used the ALPA small tripod adapter , which I have permanently mounted on my ALPA TC as an example .

ALPA QPL.jpg

This adapter plate can not really be reworked for my purpose . It would be no problem to mill off the two safety pins .
But the screw is a 3/8" screw and the 907x only takes a 1/4" thread .
So I cancelled that idea and reworked an ARCASWISS plate , which has a 1/4" screw , to a very similar looking adapter .
There is also a sunwayfoto adapter , PT-39R at B+H which could be reworked to a similar adapter . Here you would also need a longer screw , which might be a problem . My main idea was to have an adapter , which can be use "bidirectional".

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen,

Thank you for sharing a photo of your kit! (Exactly the kit I would like to order!)

How are you finding the handling using the OVF? Are you finding the framing with the 45P (or a 21 or 30) fairly accurate when composing your photos? (I'm sure you still check the screen to ensure it is what you wanted in the frame.) Can you share some insight on your workflow while using the OVF with 907x 50c? Interested on your experience, a-la SWC with OVF, and the exposure setting you are using to do your capture. Is it awkward carrying the camera around (as a walk around camera) with the OVF (seem less secure than the OVF on the SWC); can it be used as a point and shoot camera for say street shooting or candid photos while traveling (sorry--a $8K point and shoot is a bit over kill, but there are times that would be kind of fun if one can do it and them go beck to "serious mode" with the kit when one needs to).

Thank you for your insight in advance! Enjoy your camera!!!!!!
Hello elm

I will try to answer your questions as good as I can .
I own a 905SWC with a CFV50 classic as well .

The OVF is beautifully made . A gem . It does not fit into a standard cold shoe adapter , so can also not be attached to the 905SWC . The framing lines are a bit weak . They are for the 21 mm , 30mm and 45mm lenses .
So composing your image by just using the OVF can be a bit tricky , depending on the existing light .
My intention , to get that OVF , was more to get a quick view using the OVF and not have life view active for a longer time , as life view warms up (not heat) the CFV II 50c .
The 907x kit is in no way as good in my hands as my 905SWC . So I would not use it as a walk around camera not even with the available handgrip . For a walk around camera , I would rather get the X1D II 50c .

I will use the CFV II 50c almost exclusively with my 905SWC , 503CW , 201F , and my ALPA TC and ALPA + as well as with my ARCA SWISS F-LINE METRIC 6x9 , and the kit as you see it in the image , from a tripod .

I hope this helps a bit .

Godfrey

Hello Godfrey

The camera plate is self made .
I used the ALPA small tripod adapter , which I have permanently mounted on my ALPA TC as an example .
This adapter plate can not really be reworked for my purpose . It would be no problem to mill off the two safety pins .
But the screw is a 3/8" screw and the 907x only takes a 1/4" thread .
So I cancelled that idea and reworked an ARCASWISS plate , which has a 1/4" screw , to a very similar looking adapter .
There is also a sunwayfoto adapter , PT-39R at B+H which could be reworked to a similar adapter . Here you would also need a longer screw , which might be a problem . My main idea was to have an adapter , which can be use "bidirectional".
Thanks!

It looks like that SunwayFoto plate could be used as is, but a block with a broader engagement and a peg for the 907x mounting would be nicer. The DAL L-bracket I found has so far been the best tripod plate, but its a little bulky.

Hmm hmm hmm...

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks!

It looks like that SunwayFoto plate could be used as is, but a block with a broader engagement and a peg for the 907x mounting would be nicer. The DAL L-bracket I found has so far been the best tripod plate, but its a little bulky.

Hmm hmm hmm...

G
Godfrey
I have one PT-39R from B+H on order and will see how I can rework it to be similar to the ALPA one .
I do this just for fun and will show you the result , when available .

Godfrey

I have one PT-39R from B+H on order and will see how I can rework it to be similar to the ALPA one .
I do this just for fun and will show you the result , when available .
I've been playing with your notion of customizing an existing camera plate to be specific to the 907x and trying out a few of my different plates. I have a few of the Peak Design adapters that I'd not tried on the 907x yet: they're square (bidirectional fitment), Arca-Swiss compatible plates with a very thin rubber anti-twist that compresses completely once snugged down on the 907x tripod mounting boss. They're pleasantly thin enough that you can leave one fitted all the time without it getting in the way, and they don't touch any other part of the camera and work well as is.

The good news is that you can remove the back with one in place: the back needs a few mm to swing around the bottom mounting as you remove it, and because the PD plates are thin and relatively short, they allow this to work without getting in the way at all. Snugged to 4 Nm with a hex driver, I cannot get one to twist on the camera at all. I think I'll just adopt this as my simple plate solution ... suitable for square crop or landscape orientation use on a tripod or hand-held use when using the LCD as a waist level finder ... I can see that with a little creativity, I can make a left-hand grip that bolts to my RRS mini-clamp which then mounts to this camera plate. I now have my simple plate and my L plate sorted.

Next challenge will be doing the same with the camera fitted with the Hasselblad Smart Grip ... of course, that's low priority because, for me, the whole notion of the 'Blad grip is for hand-held shooting with the optical viewfinder. :)

G