The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Can We Help GetDPI Stay Alive

danlindberg

Thank you Jack & Bob for a great job for many years. Welcome Olaf - I'm another supporter of GetDpi. No other forum compares :salute:

bensonga

Thank you so much Jack and Bob for your warm welcome. I am very excited to be a part of this iconic community and becoming a custodian of its tradition of cooperation, exchange of ideas and friendship. With you direction and advice I am looking forward to make this transition smooth and fruitful. It is a very great pleasure to be here. Greetings to everyone.
Welcome to you and the MF Magazine team! This is great news for the GetDPI community.

I was not familiar with the Medium Format magazine so I just spent some time looking at the website. I decided to give the monthly subscription a try.

Thanks again!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

f8orbust

Every cloud has a silver lining !

Great news, and a great partner - and well done to Jack and Bob for engineering this.

I'm glad to hear the community won't change too much, but at the same time I really think the USP of GetDPI over all other forums was-is-and-hopefully-always-will be MFD. If that aspect of the site can be reinvigorated by the new partnership, the site as a whole will thrive - and that's something that will benefit everyone in the long run, no matter what format you shoot.

Jim

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Been a few days since I’ve checked this thread but welcome Olaf.

Im ecstatic that a solution was found. I was going to suggest that perhaps we could collectively transition to a self moderated Facebook group. I know that Facebook is a polarizing company for many but I’m apart of a few groups over there across various genres of my curiosity. It would be a way for most people to remain in contact and not have to think about paying for photo hosting. Every so often members ask about photos being shared in a centralized photo thread and that is what a Facebook Group would essentially do.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To all of our supporters,

First off, thank you very much for the outpouring of support you've shown us in these trying times -- it has truly been appreciated. In fact, it was your outpour of support that caused Bob and I to search more diligently for a viable alternative to simply pulling the plug... We think we have found an appropriate partner to not only keep GetDPI alive in its current style, but also allowing it to keep moving forward for the next several years.

With that, I would like to introduce Olaf Sztaba, editor of "Medium Format Magazine." We are in the beginning stages of transferring GetDPI site management to his team. Olaf's main goal in taking this over is to keep GetDPI alive, and moreover to maintain the community activity in its current form, which was of key importance to us. Additionally, Olaf has the resources to upgrade our aging vBulletin site platform to the more modern cloud version, which was a larger undertaking than we wanted to tackle. Please join me in welcoming Olaf to the GetDPI family, and stay tuned for more details as we put it all in place!
Dear Jack and Bob,

many thanks for driving this and making a handover like this happen! Really appreciated and very Very VERY welcome!

Also a warm welcome to Olaf and I feel grateful that you and your team take this over!

Looking forward to many more years of open, friendly and respectful discussions.

Best regards

Peter

Geoff

Deep thanks to Bob and Jack for going (again) the extra mile to find a new partner and future for GetDPI. Thankless work, but much appreciated!

And welcome Olaf - this is a special place, the home for many of us interested in medium format. Thank you for stepping up - this is good for all.

Geoff

Michiel Schierbeek

Also my sincere thanks to Bob and Jack for keeping this forum running for such a long time. It is the only forum where I sticked around over the years. Nice people and informative as well. And not to many know it all better folks.

I am so glad you found Olaf and I am here to support the new developments.

4*Paul

I’m a bit late in coming to this thread and am delighted that a solution has been found.
More a lurker than a poster, I’m addicted to daily reading of GetDPI and join everyone in thanking Jack & Bob for making it what it is. The best forum by far. 👍
Paul.

Thorkil

Thank you so much for this warm welcome. My team and I are very excited to become part of this amazing community. I will be updating our progress as we go forward.
Thank you to Olaf (and Co.), Jack and Bob for rescuing our further mental life, so to speak...loneliness avoided...and pictures and healthy mood secured...and the calmness seems now to be able to settle down :thumbs::salute:
KR Thorkil

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you to Olaf (and Co.), Jack and Bob for rescuing our further mental life, so to speak...loneliness avoided...and pictures and healthy mood secured...and the calmness seems now to be able to settle down :thumbs::salute:
KR Thorkil
Thank you for your kind and poetic welcome! It is great to be here.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Does that mean the no payment forum continues?
You would have to ask Olaf, but what I believe is that folks can pay for use by donations.
After all, servers cost money as does administration.
thanks
-bob

Elderly

Thank you so much Bob and jack for keeping this going - I would really have missed my friends on here.

As the ex-chairman of our Parish Council in the UK (you yanks wouldn't know what that was ;) ) I empathise with
why after all this time at the helm, you probably feel the way you do.

Welcome Olaf ...... but I'm somebody who gave up on medium format many years ago in favour of micro four thirds,
and here's why :grin::rolleyes::ROTFL::p :

alatreille

If this is the solution - I think it's a good one.
Happy to donate!

Andrew

You would have to ask Olaf, but what I believe is that folks can pay for use by donations.
thanks
-bob

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
thanks
-bob
Thank you for your question. I will post a major update later today.

Steve Hendrix

This is great news.

Olaf welcome, thank you for taking on this challenge, but as you can see, there are many that will be grateful.

Bob and Jack (and Guy, also, for your work), I would like to publicly thank you both for the time, expense and effort you took to create and maintain the best online sharing environment in the industry for photographers.

Looking forward to the future!

Steve Hendrix/CI

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Everyone,

It is great to be here! I would like to thank Jack, Bob and the entire community for your warm welcome. With Jack’s and Bob’s guidance I will try to keep you regularly updated on the progress of the transition phase and any developments associated with it. I am a very direct person so I will try to share as much as I can without watering down issues or problems.

First, I would like to tackle the elephant in the room. I am well aware that this community is very special and what you have built here, under the leadership of Jack and Bob, is truly amazing. I admire that and will do everything in my power to retain this special warmth. I know that some of you are worrying about the possible over-commercialization of DPI. To put it bluntly – no, we are not going to turn this community into some sort of commercial locale plastered with ads and littered with product announcements. I personally wouldn’t like to participate in such a community, so I would not do it to myself or anybody else. You have my word on that.

Second, all forums will remain in place as they are. This is not going to be a forum for medium format only but there is no question that the medium format forum has a special place here. In fact, I really hope more folks will join us and help us grow as an alternative to FB-based groups.

Third, we all know that we have to make it work by making the website more modern and manageable to attract new users. Jack and Bob have done a marvellous job and during our conversations it became apparent that many steps must be taken to ensure the longevity and success of this forum. Therefore, we need to organize as many human and financial resources as we can. I personally asked my small team at the Medium Format Magazine to help and invest our limited resources in this project, but we will need your help as well, most likely by a PayPal or similar link for voluntary donations. It is no secret that I am drawing resources from the Medium Format Magazine and those of you who subscribe to the magazine are also supporting this community. It is a fact. I am counting on you especially at this initial stage.

Fourth, we won’t turn this community into a subscription-based model. I have already made this decision. I believe that, together, you and I can make it work without putting long-term followers under pressure to pay, especially in the context of the current economic challenges many of us are facing as a result of COVID-19.

Fifth, the transition process should be smooth, but it won’t be without any issues. Our priority will be upgrading the system in terms of software. Some technical problems might happen, including some human mistakes – something of course we will try to keep it to a minimum. But I ask you for your patience and understanding. I am confident that once we get over this initial challenge, things will get better. To be honest we don’t have much choice, as aging software will eventually limit our options.

Sixth, Jack and Bob agreed to assist in all these endeavours to the extent their schedule allows, especially with the moderation part. In fact, I suggested we make them our honorary, lifetime moderators. In other words, I think they have worked hard enough and if they want to lose steam on the forum – they have the right to do that! I am kidding of course but we must agree that having them around as long as they wish would be great!

Seventh, I will do my best to consult the community about major decisions. As I said, I am counting on your help, wisdom, knowledge and patience. It will take a while to transition, but I am feeling easy, having Jack, Bob and all of you as part of this undertaking.

Please don’t hesitate if you would like to contact me or you have some actionable ideas. I will try to update you on a regular basis.

UP, UP and AWAY, my photographic friends! :)

DougDolde

Does this mean you would have to be a subscriber to Medium Format Magazine to access the forum? Their subscription price for the magazine is very high

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Allow me to echo the thanks so many others have offered to Jack, Guy and Bob - and to Olaf for stepping up to the plate.

My earlier offer of financial support remains.

I feel like I lost a loved one but they have risen again. The good news has made my day!