The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

rdeloe

R. de Loe 2024-03-30 12-33-03 (B,R8,S4).jpg

Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88 with Arca-Swiss F-Universalis and GFX 100S.

This is the kind of image that may be possible only with a technical camera (and some jiggery-pokery in post-processing!)

I wanted pan-focus for the forest floor, and a mirror smooth water's surface in the spring to reflect the trees and sky. The water in this spring was in constant motion from upwelling, wind, and bits of the forest falling into it. I could have focus stacked to have the forest floor in focus across the image, but that would have ruined the mirror effect on the water.

A bit of tilt took care of the forest floor in one frame. However, the trees and branches in the reflection were out of focus because optically they are the same distance in the reflection as they are from the surface of the water to their actual position. If the reflection is in focus, the forest floor is out of focus, and vice versa. This is where the jiggery-pokery in post comes in: I focus stacked one frame of the forest floor, and one of the trees in focus.

Greg Haag

Nice one Greg!
Thank you Warren! I am ashamed at how little I have been out with my camera over the last 8 months. My daughter came to work with me last fall and I have been focused on getting her up to speed as well as a renovation that seems like there is no end in sight. Hopefully now I will get to spend more time with my camera. BTW, you posted some fantastic aspen trees recently! I would love to get out to Colorado this fall or next.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
View attachment 211916

Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88 with Arca-Swiss F-Universalis and GFX 100S.

This is the kind of image that may be possible only with a technical camera (and some jiggery-pokery in post-processing!)

I wanted pan-focus for the forest floor, and a mirror smooth water's surface in the spring to reflect the trees and sky. The water in this spring was in constant motion from upwelling, wind, and bits of the forest falling into it. I could have focus stacked to have the forest floor in focus across the image, but that would have ruined the mirror effect on the water.

A bit of tilt took care of the forest floor in one frame. However, the trees and branches in the reflection were out of focus because optically they are the same distance in the reflection as they are from the surface of the water to their actual position. If the reflection is in focus, the forest floor is out of focus, and vice versa. This is where the jiggery-pokery in post comes in: I focus stacked one frame of the forest floor, and one of the trees in focus.
Really lovely! I'm a huge fan of 2 frame focus stacking. A full moon with tree branches silhouetted against it calls for it. It can even be done hand-held. Focus on the first object, aim at the second one, and then shoot-auto focus-shoot. The whole thing takes under a second and ... sometimes ... it works.

jng

Thank you John, it was great to get out with my camera! Did you get to photograph the cherry blossoms last month?
Hi Greg,

Indeed, it is nice to get out with the camera, especially when other things in life get in the way. It's great to see that you haven't lost your touch! Unfortunately other events did get in my way last month so it was not practical to haul my gear with me to photograph this year's cherry blossoms while I was in D.C. - a bummer as it was peak season. Next year's blossoms await!

John

Greg Haag

Hi Greg,

Indeed, it is nice to get out with the camera, especially when other things in life get in the way. It's great to see that you haven't lost your touch! Unfortunately other events did get in my way last month so it was not practical to haul my gear with me to photograph this year's cherry blossoms while I was in D.C. - a bummer as it was peak season. Next year's blossoms await!

John
Well I look forward to watching for your images next year!

diggles

Thank you Warren! I am ashamed at how little I have been out with my camera over the last 8 months. My daughter came to work with me last fall and I have been focused on getting her up to speed as well as a renovation that seems like there is no end in sight. Hopefully now I will get to spend more time with my camera. BTW, you posted some fantastic aspen trees recently! I would love to get out to Colorado this fall or next.
So far this year I haven't made it out for a dedicated hike/photo trip yet. I was hoping to get a couple winter hikes in, but never made it out. I've been scratching the itch with urban/industrial scenes that are near where I live. I've come to the conclusion that signing up for workshops is one way to guarantee at least a few trips every year. If I don't commit with money, it seems that something else always seems to come up. So far I've signed up for 3 shorter ones this year and am looking at 1 or 2 more. I prefer the workshops that last 3-4 days. The longer ones are more difficult for me to manage.

My wife and I are planning on going to southwest Colorado at some point this year. if we go in the fall then we'll probably start in Ridgeway/Ouray, then head to Crested Butte/Kebler Pass via Owl Creek Pass. I've never been in the spring to see the wildflowers so we may do that instead.

Your photography is a beautiful and has a peaceful quality to it. I'm looking forward to more of your posts!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
So far this year I haven't made it out for a dedicated hike/photo trip yet. I was hoping to get a couple winter hikes in, but never made it out. I've been scratching the itch with urban/industrial scenes that are near where I live. I've come to the conclusion that signing up for workshops is one way to guarantee at least a few trips every year. If I don't commit with money, it seems that something else always seems to come up. So far I've signed up for 3 shorter ones this year and am looking at 1 or 2 more. I prefer the workshops that last 3-4 days. The longer ones are more difficult for me to manage.

My wife and I are planning on going to southwest Colorado at some point this year. if we go in the fall then we'll probably start in Ridgeway/Ouray, then head to Crested Butte/Kebler Pass via Owl Creek Pass. I've never been in the spring to see the wildflowers so we may do that instead.

Your photography is a beautiful and has a peaceful quality to it. I'm looking forward to more of your posts!
Very similar here . I am slowly waking up from my "shooting hybernation" and checking all my gear , if I can still handle it . 😄

dchew

This was the most enjoyable day of the trip. Three of us hiked up to Lago Torres in a decent snowstorm. 12" fell by the time we reached the lake. I was lucky to see the whole area snow covered. The image I posted in the "show us your tech cam" thread with the black-billed shrike-tyrant is from right around the same time I captured this.

Sk35xl, Alpa STC, IQ4-150 with 5mm fall on the DB. CF and LCC.

Dave

Last edited:

mristuccia

I'm trying to understand the limits of the SK 35XL on my CFV-50c.
This is a vertical stitch of 3 horizontal images taken at center, at 15mm fall and at 15mm rise on the lens.
Cambo Wide DS digital, SK 35XL, f11, center filter and LCC applied.

I still have problems achieving the correct focus. Now it seems that I reach the end at infinity on the lens ring but the image is still front focused, more on the tree at the bottom-central part than on the buildings behind.
I've shimmed the digital back interface to make the lens focus on a perfect horizontal plane, but it seems now that this shim has moved the back too far away and I cannot reach infinity focus anymore.

Everything is still working-in-progress here... 😬

Anyway: Berlin, Westhafen

Combo.jpg

Last edited:

4x5Australian

I'm trying to understand the limits of the SK 35XL on my CFV-50c.
This is a vertical stitch of 3 horizontal images taken at center, at 15mm fall and at 15mm rise on the lens.
Cambo Wide DS digital, SK 35XL, f11, center filter and LCC applied.

I still have problems achieving the correct focus. Now it seems that I reach the end at infinity on the lens ring but the image is still front focused, more on the tree at the bottom-central part than on the buildings behind.
I've shimmed the digital back interface to make the lens focus on a perfect horizontal plane, but it seems now that this shim has moved the back too far away and I cannot reach infinity focus anymore.

Everything is still working-in-progress here... 😬
The SK focus ring was calibrated by Cambo to reach infinity at the specification plane of the digital sensor.

However, you can re-achieve infinity focus with your reset sensor position easily. Loosen the three small screws located within the grip area of the focus ring and then carefully turn the focus ring firmly against the infinity stop, which will move the infinity stop rearwards relative to its current position. Retighten the screws and, using your live view, confirm that the lens can now be focused at infinity.

My preference is to be able to turn the focus ring about 5mm beyond infinity, which allows the point of exact focus to be found visually on the live view at 100% by turning the focus ring back and forth.

Rod

dchew

The SK focus ring was calibrated by Cambo to reach infinity at the specification plane of the digital sensor.

However, you can re-achieve infinity focus with your reset sensor position easily. Loosen the three small screws located within the grip area of the focus ring and then carefully turn the focus ring firmly against the infinity stop, which will move the infinity stop rearwards relative to its current position. Retighten the screws and, using your live view, confirm that the lens can now be focused at infinity.

My preference is to be able to turn the focus ring about 5mm beyond infinity, which allows the point of exact focus to be found visually on the live view at 100% by turning the focus ring back and forth.

Rod
I do the same thing. We lose a little close focus ability by extending the helical beyond infinity, but I'm happy with that trade off.

Dave