The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Greg Haag

Serious left turn for me into documentation.

The backstory: My Grandfather was a Boy Scout executive in the 1930's. He was also a postmaster, which meant he was useful as a merit badge councilor for Stamp Collecting. In 1937, Ralph Henn completed a project that tied into the 1937 National Jamboree. He sent stationary envelopes to every governor, cabinet member, supreme court justice, vice president and president. The included instructions were to mail the envelope back to him signed. He collected them all for an exhibit at the jamboree (although based on the postmarks, some were sent after the Jamboree). All those envelopes, now 85 years old, ended up in my hands. In the effort to find some place to donate them before they fall apart completely, I've been photographing them all. If nothing else, I'm getting a history lesson! Here is FDR's and a few of his cabinet members:

Sample of Governors:

Rodenstock 138f, IQ4 150, Alpa 12+, simple overhead LED

Dave
What a great idea and cool story Dave, I hope you find a worthy recipient!

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Serious left turn for me into documentation.

The backstory: My Grandfather was a Boy Scout executive in the 1930's. He was also a postmaster, which meant he was useful as a merit badge councilor for Stamp Collecting. In 1937, Ralph Henn completed a project that tied into the 1937 National Jamboree. He sent stationery envelopes to every governor, cabinet member, supreme court justice, vice president and president. The included instructions were to mail the envelope back to him signed. He collected them all for an exhibit at the jamboree (although based on the postmarks, some were sent after the Jamboree). All those envelopes, now 85 years old, ended up in my hands. In the effort to find some place to donate them before they fall apart completely, I've been photographing them all. If nothing else, I'm getting a history lesson! Here is FDR's and a few of his cabinet members:

Sample of Governors:

Rodenstock 138f, IQ4 150, Alpa 12+, simple overhead LED

Dave
So cool Dave!

(Eagle Scout here)

John Leathwick

The Mamiya RZ Macro M 140mm F/4.5 M/L-A in closeup mode, taken with a GFX 50SII via an Arca-Swiss F-Universalis, twenty images stacked in Zerene Stacker. The Mamiya might not be as clinically sharp as my GF120 macro, but with swings and tilts on tap when required, it can do things that GF120 will never achieve, like the tilted focus plane in this image.

-John

Lachenalia vanzyliae.jpg

shfoto

Beautiful @shfoto!!! I also have an IQ3 100, and I was wondering about the SK 35, do you have any difficulty with vignetting in shifting?
Thanks for you nice feedback, Kipoz! I use my SK 35 on regular basis. I do a LCC for every shot. C1 does a good job in correcting vignetting and color correction. As long as you do not shift > 10 mm. Overall, I am quite happy with the SK 35.
Enjoy your IQ3 100 and the SK 35 :)
Stephan

jng

Doe Library Perspective by John Ngai, on Flickr
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | SK 60XL | f/11 | 2-image stitch​

I've been slowly familiarizing myself with the capabilities of the new (to me) SK 60 XL. This image is a flat-stitch of two captures - one taken with 25mm lens rise and the other with 5mm lens fall for a total sensor area of 70x54mm. The file was then cropped slightly to 4x5 aspect ratio, resulting in a 14,200 x 17,750 = 252 Mp image file (!!!).

John

Last edited:

cunim

Here is a nice little bit of creepy tree, shot with the IQ4 150 and a Rodenstock lens on the Rm3di. Nothing special until you realise that the creepy bit is a small crop (shown at 40%) of the large image. That image was stitched from four panels, with the Rm3di moved to its full vertical limits up and down (+30, -20). The 26,899 pixel image is razor sharp in the center and still excellent at the fully moved corners.

I am in love with this lens - the 138 float. I have never seen an image circle this clean.

Ouroboros.jpg

ourdetail.jpg

Last edited:

dchew

I am in love with this lens - the 138 float. I have never seen an image circle this clean.
I am trying not to give in to GAS for the Alpa Pano (35mm shift). A three image stitch with the 138 and sensor vertical would give a 2:1 image 110x54mm. Crop that to 9:4 (2.25:1) and there is a 110x49 image at 120mm image circle and 380 mpx. Horizontal equivalent of a 45mm lens (36/110). That's a wonderful combo.

Dave

cunim

I am trying not to give in to GAS for the Alpa Pano (35mm shift). A three image stitch with the 138 and sensor vertical would give a 2:1 image 110x54mm. Crop that to 9:4 (2.25:1) and there is a 110x49 image at 120mm image circle and 380 mpx. Horizontal equivalent of a 45mm lens (36/110). That's a wonderful combo.
Dave, we seem to be seeing a real advance in lens performance. In the past, I never felt comfortable moving beyond about 12 mm either side of center. Sure, you could, but the resulting image quality was usually worse than using a wider lens. In my limited experience, the Rodenstock 90 is about as good as they they get (I had the previous generation) but even that couldn't break my 12 mm limit. Is the newest one better?

The 138, in contrast (pun intended), holds performance as you shift out to near the edges of the IC. I think your experience has been the same. I am not sure what all the tradeoffs are (size, weight, relatively small aperture, ridiculous cost are a few) but the lens can let you be creative in novel ways. The fuss right now is about lenses like the Fuji TS pair, and I look forward to trying those with the smaller format. However, I believe that an IQ4 with a lens like the 138 offers performance that justifies its cost and inconvenience, for some uses. Time will tell.

Last edited:

shfoto

On a recent trip to Berlin I found this mural painting in the backyard of a recently built apartment complex. The painting was done by the artist collective innerfields from Berlin. I admire their style. What a view if your balcony faces towards their painting!

CF043934.2400px.web.jpg
Cambo 1600 | IQ3 100 | SK 35 shifted 12 mm vertical | f11 | 1/8 s

shfoto

On that same trip to Berlin I finally made my way to the Teufelsberg (devil's hill). It is made of all the debris from the WWII. During the Cold War the Americans operated a large radio station to monitor all the radio traffic in the East. Nowadays it is ruin which a group of volunteers tries to stop from decaying. It also a Mecca for street artists. They are usually invited to do their paintings.

CF043977_Panorama.2400px.web.jpg
Cambo 1600 | IQ3 100 | SK 90 two images stitch | f11 | 1/8 s
CF043950.2400px.web.jpg
Cambo 1600 | IQ3 100 | SK 35 | f11 | 1/2 s
CF043957.2400px.web.jpg
Cambo 1600 | IQ3 100 | SK 35 | f11 | 1/2 s

John Leathwick

We are just back from a trip around the southeast coast of New Zealand's South Island, where I took this on a stormy night at the iconic Nugget Point. Its a flat stitch of three portrait orientation HDR images taken with a GFX 50SII, Arca-Swiss F-Universalis, and Mamiya RZ 50mm ULD - horizontal shift of 15mm either side of centre. Processing was in Nik HDR Efex, LR and PS. After an initial alignment issue with the F-Universalis, which Arca-Swiss were fantastic at addressing, this combination is now performing very well for me, so well in fact that two of my GF lenses are now for sale on my behalf at our local camera store.

John

https://flic.kr/p/2p5H1R6