The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

The great tripod & head thread!

usm

I did some tests with the 5 segments travel triopod. It is stable until you touch it. So a selftimer is a must for that tiny tripod.

The small 5 segments seems like I would take it with me but it looks like a toy.
The compact 4 segments is strong and has a perfect hight but is just 500g less then what I already have.

After reading this thread, I should buy both ...
But I don’t wanna...

tcdeveau

I did some tests with the 5 segments travel triopod. It is stable until you touch it. So a selftimer is a must for that tiny tripod.

The small 5 segments seems like I would take it with me but it looks like a toy.
The compact 4 segments is strong and has a perfect hight but is just 500g less then what I already have.

After reading this thread, I should buy both ...
But I don’t wanna...
I use the 4 segment one with my X1D and it works well...I use the self-timer on the camera for long exposures.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
IMHO, the PD tripod is better than the 5 segment travel legs on every measure. This isn't a comment on the Novy system - just those legs.

Godfrey

inspired by the posts before - added the 4-segment legs to the 3-segment legs and got a 2.7m Tripod. ...
LOL! You folks obviously have needs well beyond mine! I'm usually struggling with how to get the camera low enough, not high enough... :)

G

usm

You need a reduction screw to reduce the thread of the spikes and, what Is still missing, are small washers for the gap in between.

robmac

I've played with adding legs to existing Novo legs or using a short leg as an emergency center column on a regular basis. The tops of all the legs are 1/4-20" male on a small 'shoulder' for stability and the bottoms are 3/8-16" female.

If using 1/4-20 to 3/8-16" adapters, try and use the stainless versions (less snap prone). You can make adapters to fill the gap left by the 'shoulder' (for improved stability) on the top of the legs from washers with a layer of rubber glued on etc, or use something like below with the 'shoulder' hole bored into the 1/4-20 female side by a friendly machinist.

Endless MacGyvering opportunities.

MGrayson

Now you just need a set of arms long enough to mount the camera...
I did consider ladder needs when I got a tall tripod. With the center column lowered, I can just reach the camera. As appealing as a Gitzo Giant or RRS 45L with center column would be, I can't see any way of using them in the wild. I suppose tripods could be made with rungs like an antenna on one leg... o_O

Both my Gitzo tripods stand about 8 feet tall fully extended. When I am hiking, there are times a photograph calls for the height and full extension.
My question is- does anyone have a technique for getting up high enough to see your camera viewfinder?
I have been trying to stand on a lightweight 3 leg fold-up camping stool, which gives me an extra two feet of height.
It tips over quite readily- sooner or later I am going to have a fall.
The only other option would be to carry some type of super-lightweight ladder?

Shashin

If you can get a remote app on your smart phone, you don't need the camera viewfinder. The next is a mirror to check the live image on thre LCD. In case of my Pentax, which does not have an option for either, I have an optical right-angle finder which helps a bit--it won't get me to eight feet, but does get the camera above my head. If the max extention is with the center column, I compose at as high as I can, then extend the camera from there. Baring that, platform shoes?

MGrayson

Since the Leica S is in the shop, I figured I'd look into the ancient Wood vs. Carbon Fibre debate. It's very hard to find an analysis that wasn't done by a manufacturer. And all opinion boils down to "I've used X for 30 years, and X is great!" The usual wood attribute is "vibration damping". Now that can mean a lot of things - vibration from the camera, vibration from wind, vibration from the ground, and no doubt a host of others. Wood tripods being relatively cheap, I ordered a pair of Ries tripods off eBay - the humorously named "Backpack" tripod (looks like a J600), and an old surveyor tripod (looks like a J100-2). Testing was with a seismometer and a 400mm lens with IBIS turned off on a Fuji X-H1. The big wooden tripod isn't here yet, but I can tell you how the little Ries did.

The other tripods were an RRS TFC-14 (2 lbs) and a Gitzo 3543XLS (5 lbs). Head was an RRS B-55. All pictures were 20 second exposures using a 10 stop filter. Pictures were with No disturbance, Tapping the leg with a pencil, and Tapping the lens with a pencil, and walking around. Only the walking disturbances were noticeable in each case.

Quick summary: Getting an undisturbed picture was easier with the big Gitzo. The RRS and Ries were more flexible, and so more pictures showed minor motion blur. BUT when walking around, the Ries did Better then the Gitzo, and MUCH better than the little RRS. Is it mass? wood? I dunno. Tests will continue.

Undisturbed (from Gitzo)

Ries disturbed:

Gitzo disturbed:

Tiny RRS disturbed:

And yes, the window couldn't get out of the way. I took short exposure baseline photos, and they were quite sharp. No doubt contrast suffered.

Disclaimer: I am not Jim Kasson!

Last edited:

MGrayson

Further tests show that adding 4 lbs of weight to the Gitzo didn't make any difference, but helped the Ries a lot.

And FURTHER tests show that I haven't shown anything except that 20 second exposures with a 400mm lens on a wooden floor of an apartment building over a subway line are probably a bad idea.

My suspicion, because it's true in so many other fields, is that photographers learn to get the best out of whatever they're using. If you take someone who has used system X for years and hand them system Y, they will probably find the results from X superior.

Sigh...

Oh, and the seismometer (iPhone app) showed that vibrations induced by hitting the tripod decayed more slowly and at lower frequency with the Ries than with the bigger Gitzo. Photos are the final arbiter, so I skipped this detail above.

Last edited:

dj may

@MGrayson , I agree with your assessment that the result, the photo, is all that matters. Lab tests and specs may be interesting, however, they are not very useful for real-world application. I bought a new cello bow a few years ago. There is a lot written about how different materials should be better because of the speed with which vibrations are transferred, such as carbon fiber or pernambuco. I tested about 8 bows with my cello and one was noticeably better. It was pernambuco, just like the other three finalists. Incidentally, it cost far more than a big carbon fiber tripod.

As you know, I have been using a wood tripod for over 15 years. If I were to get another, it would probably be your Gitzo model. Thank you for the evaluation.

Last edited:

MGrayson

@MGrayson , I agree with your assessment that the result, the photo, is all that matters. Lab tests and specs may be interesting, however, they are not very useful for real-world application. I bought a new cello bow a few years ago. There is a lot written about how different materials should be better because of the speed with which vibrations are transferred, such as carbon fiber or pernambuco. I tested about 8 bows with my cello and one was noticeably better. It was pernambuco, just like the other three finalists. Incidentally, it cost far more than a big carbon fiber tripod.

As you know, I have been using a wood tripod for over 15 years. If I were to get another, it would probably be your Gitzo model. Thank you for the evaluation.
I know cello bows. 😱