The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

docholliday

Damn you Dante..!

Gitzo Series 5 (GT5543XLS ), bowl, gitzo leveler, and Arca Swiss L75 ordered.. Tripod family portrait coming up later in the week.
The GT55xx may seem heavy and bulky at first, but you'll really enjoy working with it...especially when you see the results as a 3-6' print, you'll know it was worth every penny. Despite the seemingly large amount of hate in general for Gitzo in lieu of Sirui and Benro, there is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that if you get shake, it's not the support platform. As a production shooter, the piece of mind is having one less piece to worry or think about. Congrats on your new family member!

anyone

The GT55xx may seem heavy and bulky at first, but you'll really enjoy working with it...especially when you see the results as a 3-6' print, you'll know it was worth every penny. Despite the seemingly large amount of hate in general for Gitzo in lieu of Sirui and Benro, there is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that if you get shake, it's not the support platform.
The series 5 is actually not that heavy, just a bit bulky due to the large leg diameter and also the larger top plate.

docholliday

The series 5 is actually not that heavy, just a bit bulky due to the large leg diameter and also the larger top plate.
I know...I own a GT5541. I don't think it's bulky nor heavy. But, most people tend to compare it to the typical consumer-weight tripod and swear that it's really heavy. My "travel" tripod is a GT3542L and that's about the lightest I'd every carry or use. And, when I'd go out with an 8x10, it was still lighter than the camera itself!

nameBrandon

The GT55xx may seem heavy and bulky at first, but you'll really enjoy working with it...especially when you see the results as a 3-6' print, you'll know it was worth every penny. Despite the seemingly large amount of hate in general for Gitzo in lieu of Sirui and Benro, there is a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that if you get shake, it's not the support platform. As a production shooter, the piece of mind is having one less piece to worry or think about. Congrats on your new family member!
Ultimately, that's what pushed me in this direction. I had looked at some other (relatively) comparable tripods but the theme I kept running into in research was that Gitzo was worth it in the end. Hopefully this is a 'buy once, cry once' situation!

Mexecutioner

I know...I own a GT5541. I don't think it's bulky nor heavy. But, most people tend to compare it to the typical consumer-weight tripod and swear that it's really heavy. My "travel" tripod is a GT3542L and that's about the lightest I'd every carry or use. And, when I'd go out with an 8x10, it was still lighter than the camera itself!
I agree, I have a GT5561SGT giant, I have taken it out on the field and it is not that heavy for me. The thing is a beast and crazy stable. I have smaller Gitzos that are more convenient for airline travel, but for the ultimate stability the giant always does the trick.

nameBrandon

As a hand-held shooter, I haven't thought too much about height - above my head, anyway. So today I walked around taking pictures at eye level and held up high over my head using an RRS TFC-14 as a flagpole. The differences were even more than I anticipated.

Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr

Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr

Hmmmm...
What a neat change in perspective.. may have to try that! Was that with the GFX100? That would make me nervous.. may test this out with the X-Pro3 first.. :p

nameBrandon

So I held up the RRS TFC-14 over my head as in the above photos. Guess which tripod gets to exactly that height? GT5563GS on order.
Nice! I looked at that one,and decided the 2nd highest one (~78") would suffice. Sonder Creative did a review where they mentioned it's really a two person job to set the Giant up and that kind of scared me off of it. It is pretty amazing to look at though, that's for sure.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I actually bought a Giant a few years ago. Set it up in my living room. Stared at it. It stared back at me. I decided I would have no use for it, and returned it. Now I have a use for it, and have wireless tethering working ... sort-of. So I think I can give it a real world try. Of course, setting one up on a sidewalk would require traffic cones.

The very first MFDB I ever saw in the wild was a Sinar mounted on some monstrously tall (I want to say 15 foot) tripod with the legs almost closed (3 feet apart?), leaning against a building. It was across the street from the Gehry IAC building, so I guess he was an architectural photog waiting for the light - it was around sunset. He was just standing next to this precarious rig doing nothing.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I actually bought a Giant a few years ago. Set it up in my living room. Stared at it. It stared back at me. I decided I would have no use for it, and returned it. Now I have a use for it, and have wireless tethering working ... sort-of. So I think I can give it a real world try. Of course, setting one up on a sidewalk would require traffic cones.

The very first MFDB I ever saw in the wild was a Sinar mounted on some monstrously tall (I want to say 15 foot) tripod with the legs almost closed (3 feet apart?), leaning against a building. It was across the street from the Gehry IAC building, so I guess he was an architectural photog waiting for the light - it was around sunset. He was just standing next to this precarious rig doing nothing.
My "big" tripod is the Gitzo G5564SGT & Cube that I've had for many years. I actually replaced the bottom spindly leg section with feet as I never used that amount of extension. My real use for the height is for those occasions where you need that extra-long single leg such as on an embankment etc.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My "big" tripod is the Gitzo G5564SGT & Cube that I've had for many years. I actually replaced the bottom spindly leg section with feet as I never used that amount of extension. My real use for the height is for those occasions where you need that extra-long single leg such as on an embankment etc.
Is that a kit, or do you just get feet for the slightly larger fifth tube? I took the feet off of a 4553, but those should be the same diameter as the 6th tube of the giant.

Oh, let me guess. The long spike kit comes with its own leg ends?

Last edited: