The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

FloatingLens

The same is true whether you're using the lens shutter or the eshutter, but of course in the case of the latter on a Hasselblad SLR body, you've set the shutter on B and locked the shutter button to raise the mirror, open the rear shutter, open the lens shutter, and stop down the lens in order for Live View and the electronic shutter operation to work anyway, unless you're just holding down the shutter release only when you want to focus, frame, and expose a shot.
Just as an aside: electronic shutter operation with lenses which have the F position is a bit more streamlined. One can use the F position and lift the mirror with the mirror lock-up lever. This saves you from moving the shutter button into the T position, or for the 501CM, which is missing that lever, make the whole thing possible without resorting to an external cable release. Also no worry that the aperture is correctly stopped down, the camera takes care of everything. All CF, CFi through CFE lenses have the F position for focal plane, or more recently, electronic shutter mode... :D;)

FloatingLens

I received a note back from Hasselblad to the effect that this issue will be addressed in a future firmware update. My interpretation: "Yes, a bug ... Thanks for reporting it, it's on the list to fix." :D
Awesome! Thanks a lot! I shall monitor the upcoming news on their page very closely.

I will say this, for a photographic equipment company like Hasselblad, it is quite extraordinary that this kind of function is not working the first time around.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Just as an aside: electronic shutter operation with lenses which have the F position is a bit more streamlined. One can use the F position and lift the mirror with the mirror lock-up lever. This saves you from moving the shutter button into the T position, or for the 501CM, which is missing that lever, make the whole thing possible without resorting to an external cable release. Also no worry that the aperture is correctly stopped down, the camera takes care of everything. All CF, CFi through CFE lenses have the F position for focal plane, or more recently, electronic shutter mode... :D;)
Interesting, thanks. I only have one lens with the F position (the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*) and no Hasselblad bodies with a focal plane shutter, so I'd not really played with it. I don't really see too much different in actual use, however, given that I'm using 500CM bodies. Setting the shutter to B, releasing it and locking the shutter release with the T lever to hold it open for as long as I'm going to work with different exposures using the CFVII 50c eshutter is just as easy as opening the shutter with the F position, and I'm less likely to forget I have the shutter locked open if I switch backs to an A12 for a couple of film exposures.

I can see it would be easier for using the 501CM where the T lever is no longer available. :)

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I shall monitor the upcoming news on their page very closely.
I will say this, for a photographic equipment company like Hasselblad, it is quite extraordinary that this kind of function is not working the first time around.
Humans do the code and the testing: Mistakes are made. LOL!

Personally, I've only rarely found DoF Preview to be particularly useful and usually forget it's even there much of the time. It's only really become useful now that we have EVFs that will display at normal viewing brightness so you can actually see what the DoF is at working aperture, for me. I could never see it well enough, except in extremely bright lighting, with a reflex camera unless I brought a focusing cloth with me and covered up just like I once did with view cameras.

G

FloatingLens

Works without cable. But the duration the back takes for the exposure depends on how long you depress the shutter button.
I think I noticed, the longer you depress the shutter release, the back eventually starts to count up and put the measured exposure duration in the file metadata, which I actually find quite clever!

This is irrespective of the shutter speed chosen on the lens. I don‘t know if it is any different with the supplied sync cable. It‘s just too convenient to operate the camera without any extra cables.

Godfrey

I think I noticed, the longer you depress the shutter release, the back eventually starts to count up and put the measured exposure duration in the file metadata, which I actually find quite clever!
This is irrespective of the shutter speed chosen on the lens. I don‘t know if it is any different with the supplied sync cable. It‘s just too convenient to operate the camera without any extra cables.
Hmm. Do you mean that with the CFVII 50c back fitted to a 500 series body, if you are using the LENS shutter, and you hold down the shutter release for ANY exposure, it will stuff an expected exposure duration into the metadata? Or is it with the back's eshutter? I'm not understanding ...

The CFVII 50c puts the exposure duration for Bulb and timed long time exposures into the metadata when used on the 907x. It starts to count down on the LCD but after about 15 seconds it powers the LCD off, presumably to save power, and then powers it back up just as the long time exposure comes to an end or when you release the shutter on a Bulb time exposure. It would be nice if there was an option in the camera's preferences to say "for long time exposures, keep the LCD visible so I can see the seconds count all the way through."

There are so many nice nuances we can dream up, eh? LOL! :D

G

sog1927

You don't need an external sync cable to use the CFVII 50c on most Hasselblad 500 bodies for normal operation. You do need a special cable connection for the 503CW(?) with motor winder and all the EL bodies to trigger the motorized transport mechanism to operate.

How long you have to depress the shutter button always follows the same rule: Because the Hasselblad 500 series' rear shutter that protects the film gate is mechanically operated and dependent upon the body shutter release, you must keep the shutter release button depressed for the entire length of an exposure or the rear shutter will close prematurely and shorten the exposure. The same is true whether you're using the lens shutter or the eshutter, but of course in the case of the latter on a Hasselblad SLR body, you've set the shutter on B and locked the shutter button to raise the mirror, open the rear shutter, open the lens shutter, and stop down the lens in order for Live View and the electronic shutter operation to work anyway, unless you're just holding down the shutter release only when you want to focus, frame, and expose a shot.

(Not having owned or used any of the EL series bodies or the 503CW model with a winder, I do know they have a specific "continuous sequence" operating mode but don't know exactly how that works with respect to operation of the body shutter or whether there are limitations on the range of shutter speeds that can be used in the continuous mode.)

G
The CW winder has a mechanical lever that depresses the shutter button on the body. I suspect you don't need a cable because the mechanical coupling would work just as it does without the winder. I don't know this for sure, because I haven't sprung for a 907 yet. ;-)

spb

Staff member
Interesting review Review by Thomas Heaton (Hasselblad 907X On Location | Is it Any Good?)
In the review it was mentioned no histogram available. I have it from Support that this is on the list for firmware update.

Last edited:
Reactions: elm

Godfrey

The CW winder has a mechanical lever that depresses the shutter button on the body. I suspect you don't need a cable because the mechanical coupling would work just as it does without the winder. I don't know this for sure, because I haven't sprung for a 907 yet. ;-)
I went back to the manual... The coupling cable allows Phocus to trigger the 503CW when operated in a tethered mode, for both EL series and CW with motor winder. For hand-held work, it's not necessary. At least that's my understanding from the instruction manual for the CFVII 50c back. :)

G

FloatingLens

Hmm. Do you mean that with the CFVII 50c back fitted to a 500 series body, if you are using the LENS shutter, and you hold down the shutter release for ANY exposure, it will stuff an expected exposure duration into the metadata? Or is it with the back's eshutter? I'm not understanding ...

The CFVII 50c puts the exposure duration for Bulb and timed long time exposures into the metadata when used on the 907x. It starts to count down on the LCD but after about 15 seconds it powers the LCD off, presumably to save power, and then powers it back up just as the long time exposure comes to an end or when you release the shutter on a Bulb time exposure. It would be nice if there was an option in the camera's preferences to say "for long time exposures, keep the LCD visible so I can see the seconds count all the way through."

There are so many nice nuances we can dream up, eh? LOL! :D

G
No, it applies to mechanical shutter operation and 500 series body as well, depending on how long the shutter button is pressed. For multiple seconds exposures the back keeps track of the duration and provides a record in the file even without any sync cable connection (so it's not viable for any timing shorter than one second). With the sync cable, it would be feasible. In electronic shutter or on the 907X, all metadata is properly recorded for sure.

I had the impression that my LCD did not turn off even during a very long exposure of 8 minutes that I did the other day. Is there a difference to the Special Edition?

Godfrey

No, it applies to mechanical shutter operation and 500 series body as well, depending on how long the shutter button is pressed. For multiple seconds exposures the back keeps track of the duration and provides a record in the file even without any sync cable connection (so it's not viable for any timing shorter than one second). With the sync cable, it would be feasible. In electronic shutter or on the 907X, all metadata is properly recorded for sure.

I had the impression that my LCD did not turn off even during a very long exposure of 8 minutes that I did the other day. Is there a difference to the Special Edition?
Might be, dunno. I know that my CFVII 50c Special Edition back on the 500CM will count up long exposures on the screen until about 15 seconds elapses, then the screen goes dark and wakes up again shortly before the end of the time sequence hits. Perhaps there's another setting to find, installed with the fw v1.3.0 ... :)

G

SrMphoto

Might be, dunno. I know that my CFVII 50c Special Edition back on the 500CM will count up long exposures on the screen until about 15 seconds elapses, then the screen goes dark and wakes up again shortly before the end of the time sequence hits. Perhaps there's another setting to find, installed with the fw v1.3.0 ... :)

G
The count-down disappearing was an unfortunate change. On X1DII, you can make the count down reappear by waving the hand close to the EVF sensor.

spb

Staff member
Another interesting review and comparison using different lenses.

The Slanted Lens

I found it amusing seeing things I would never do! On the beach on a breesy day changing the back from camera to camera ..........

Godfrey

Another interesting review and comparison using different lenses.

The Slanted Lens

I found it amusing seeing things I would never do! On the beach on a breesy day changing the back from camera to camera ..........
I've saved it and will look at it later. Thanks for listing it! :)

G

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
How is everyone?
I am back from a photographic trip to the Kootenays in British Columbia. This time I was travelling with the Hasselblad 907X 50c and... I haven't had so much fun for a long time. It is a very unique camera, beautifully made and cleverly designed. I will be working on a full-fledged review, which should finds it way to the Medium Format Magazine.

©osztaba_907X_20201009_B0000437.jpg
907X 50c
XCD 35-75

Tim Floyd

Olaf, I have wanted a back like this for a long time but I wonder how awkward is it to make portrait orientation photographs, either with the 907X or a 500/200 series camera. I hope your review will discuss this. Thanks!

Godfrey

Olaf, I have wanted a back like this for a long time but I wonder how awkward is it to make portrait orientation photographs, either with the 907X or a 500/200 series camera. I hope your review will discuss this. Thanks!
I'm not Olaf, but with the 907x if I want to shoot full format I just turn the camera on its side. Not a big deal at all. Add the control grip if you do it a lot, makes it easy and fluid at the expense of compactness. Use an L-bracket with a tripod. It f using the back on the 500CM, I just crop to 39Mpixel square images most of the time since I prefer to use the WL finder or a magnifying finder. With this body, I generally shoot full format only horizontals since I sold off all my prism finders ages ago.

G

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
HASSELBLAD 907X 50c – Fresh from the field

I am working on a comprehensive review of the Hasselblad 907X 50c camera but I thought I would share with you my first, rather random, thoughts after shooting with this new system for the last five days.

The moment you take the camera out of the box, you know you are dealing with something different. It’s very small for medium format and its cube-like shape fits perfectly into your hand. It is a truly beautiful camera. The materials are of the highest quality. Every edge, button and surface makes me think of a collectible item rather than a typical photographic tool. Even the battery door is beautifully made with a quality H letter engraved on it. The way the door opens and closes is just genius, especially compared to the clumsy cheap battery doors in so many cameras nowadays. I have to say that from the industrial design perspective it is currently the most beautiful camera on the market. Many of you may not care about that but it matters to me.

The first lens I attached was the XCD 45p – a small but capable glass. This combo means the system is so small and light you can hold it comfortably in one hand. Then, there are the operations. The shutter button is located on the right bottom corner of the lens and it feels right on target when you hold the camera. In fact, you can operate the camera with one hand if you want to.

The operations are stripped to the bare minimum. The shutter button is wrapped in a scrolling wheel, which allows you to change the aperture. The LCD screen has five solid buttons along the lower edge of LCD – that’s all you have and all you need. The Hasselblad menu system is one of the most elegant, simple and photography-oriented on the market. It is the bare minimum for what you need for photography and I really enjoy it. Despite the emphasis on design, I could find everything I needed in the menu without looking at a manual. A simple thing such as formatting the card requires two steps without needing the menu. I wish other camera manufacturers would stop the frenzy of adding functions and buttons to their cameras. The spartan approach here is very refreshing.

For those who would like to add more functionality, the additional grip (beautifully matched to the camera) provides all the answers and more. My favourite is the focus point selector positioned on the upper part of the grip, which works beautifully. Interestingly enough even with the grip the camera feels light and playful. At the beginning I thought the separation of the grip from the camera by a metal attachment would feel strange but it’s quite the opposite. It feels so refreshing, reassuring and comfortable to hold (your hand can wrap around it, unlike the built-in grips).

How does it work in the field? I really enjoyed it. I noticed that I used the camera differently depending on whether I wanted to have the grip attached or not. It is so tempting to put on a small lens like the XCD 45p and play with the camera, using it in a straightforward and photographic-centred way. On the other hand, the grip adds functionality and allows you to shoot in a more traditional way.

One of the biggest surprises was the battery life. I was expecting to go through batteries very quickly but just two were enough for the entire day of shooting in the field.

In terms of the imagery, it has the same sensor as the X1D 50c II so the image quality is equally impressive and more than adequate for most people. For those who need more resolution and detail, Fujifilm GFX 100 or the Phase One system will take you there.

One of the revelations of this system is its compatibility and possible expansion, including all the range of lenses. I will write more about it in the upcoming review.

Yes, I am working on a comprehensive piece about this new system in which I will share more detailed information with you. I have to say I’m glad Hasselblad tapped into its rich heritage and came up with this product, which allowed them to differentiate themselves from the competition. They managed to create a camera that goes beyond being a dry photographic tool and taps into nostalgia, the fun factor and a feeling of photographic elation (actually not that easy to evoke). I like this new form so much that I will consider investing in the system myself.

Below please find a few images taken with the 907X 50c and the XCD 90mm, 45p and 35-75 lenses. Many more to come.

©osztaba_907X_20201009_B0000427-2.jpg©osztaba_907X_20201009_B0000428-2.jpg©osztaba_907X_20201009_B0000419-2.jpg©osztaba_907X_20201009_B0000464-2.jpg©osztaba_907X_20201009_B0000449-2.jpg

spb

Staff member
Thanks Olaf, I look forward to the full review. If the pictures are anything to go by, I look forward to receiving my version of the 'cube' as I shall call it. Aesthetically they have created a gem of design.

Godfrey

Thanks Olaf! Have to say, for me this camera is a dream. The 907x used with the XCD lenses is just plain brilliant, the CFVII 50c back used with my much-loved old 500CMs and their lenses equally so. Through the use of lens adapters, the expansion of the 907x to use a wider range of lenses and lens accessories than I could possibly afford to buy new all over again enhances the value and preserves the utility of all the various equipment that I've acquired over many years.

The 907x is a landmark achievement for me. And yes, I love the little plaque on the side of the Special Edition which says "On the Moon since 1969" ... Some of the lenses I have used on it pre-date that event, so it has extra meaning! :D

G