The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x 50c now available

cgastelum

Hello
Can you please tell , whats the cause for 907x/CFV50c sending for repair ? ? ?
Did you send it directly to HASSELBLAD in SWEDEN ? ? ?
My CFVII back was having issues, every now and then, detecting the 907x body, and sometimes the body was having trouble detecting the lens. I bought my camera from CI and Steve H. has been great taking care of the issue and dealing with Hasselblad directly. Now I just have to wait to get it back, hopefully soon because I have a couple of hikes planned in upstate NY and would love to have the camera back for those.

bythewei

I'm a little embarrassed to ask. Do you need an external sync cable to mount the CFVII50C on a 500 body?

Elsewhere, some said yes and others said no. I'm confused.

I'm a little embarrassed to ask. Do you need an external sync cable to mount the CFVII50C on a 500 body?

Works without cable. But the duration the back takes for the exposure depends on how long you depress the shutter button.

Godfrey

I reported the lack of functionality of the DoF Preview function on the Control Grip to Hasselblad USA customer service. The tech there tested and found the same on his camera, so a note has been sent off to Hasselblad engineering in Sweden to see if there's something about using this function we don't know or if this is a bug/unimplemented feature. It seems to me assuredly a bug...
I received a note back from Hasselblad to the effect that this issue will be addressed in a future firmware update. My interpretation: "Yes, a bug ... Thanks for reporting it, it's on the list to fix." :D

G

Godfrey

Works without cable. But the duration the back takes for the exposure depends on how long you depress the shutter button.
You don't need an external sync cable to use the CFVII 50c on most Hasselblad 500 bodies for normal operation. You do need a special cable connection for the 503CW(?) with motor winder and all the EL bodies to trigger the motorized transport mechanism to operate.

How long you have to depress the shutter button always follows the same rule: Because the Hasselblad 500 series' rear shutter that protects the film gate is mechanically operated and dependent upon the body shutter release, you must keep the shutter release button depressed for the entire length of an exposure or the rear shutter will close prematurely and shorten the exposure. The same is true whether you're using the lens shutter or the eshutter, but of course in the case of the latter on a Hasselblad SLR body, you've set the shutter on B and locked the shutter button to raise the mirror, open the rear shutter, open the lens shutter, and stop down the lens in order for Live View and the electronic shutter operation to work anyway, unless you're just holding down the shutter release only when you want to focus, frame, and expose a shot.

(Not having owned or used any of the EL series bodies or the 503CW model with a winder, I do know they have a specific "continuous sequence" operating mode but don't know exactly how that works with respect to operation of the body shutter or whether there are limitations on the range of shutter speeds that can be used in the continuous mode.)

G

The same is true whether you're using the lens shutter or the eshutter, but of course in the case of the latter on a Hasselblad SLR body, you've set the shutter on B and locked the shutter button to raise the mirror, open the rear shutter, open the lens shutter, and stop down the lens in order for Live View and the electronic shutter operation to work anyway, unless you're just holding down the shutter release only when you want to focus, frame, and expose a shot.
Just as an aside: electronic shutter operation with lenses which have the F position is a bit more streamlined. One can use the F position and lift the mirror with the mirror lock-up lever. This saves you from moving the shutter button into the T position, or for the 501CM, which is missing that lever, make the whole thing possible without resorting to an external cable release. Also no worry that the aperture is correctly stopped down, the camera takes care of everything. All CF, CFi through CFE lenses have the F position for focal plane, or more recently, electronic shutter mode... :D;)

I received a note back from Hasselblad to the effect that this issue will be addressed in a future firmware update. My interpretation: "Yes, a bug ... Thanks for reporting it, it's on the list to fix." :D
Awesome! Thanks a lot! I shall monitor the upcoming news on their page very closely.

I will say this, for a photographic equipment company like Hasselblad, it is quite extraordinary that this kind of function is not working the first time around.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Just as an aside: electronic shutter operation with lenses which have the F position is a bit more streamlined. One can use the F position and lift the mirror with the mirror lock-up lever. This saves you from moving the shutter button into the T position, or for the 501CM, which is missing that lever, make the whole thing possible without resorting to an external cable release. Also no worry that the aperture is correctly stopped down, the camera takes care of everything. All CF, CFi through CFE lenses have the F position for focal plane, or more recently, electronic shutter mode... :D;)
Interesting, thanks. I only have one lens with the F position (the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 T*) and no Hasselblad bodies with a focal plane shutter, so I'd not really played with it. I don't really see too much different in actual use, however, given that I'm using 500CM bodies. Setting the shutter to B, releasing it and locking the shutter release with the T lever to hold it open for as long as I'm going to work with different exposures using the CFVII 50c eshutter is just as easy as opening the shutter with the F position, and I'm less likely to forget I have the shutter locked open if I switch backs to an A12 for a couple of film exposures.

I can see it would be easier for using the 501CM where the T lever is no longer available. :)

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I shall monitor the upcoming news on their page very closely.
I will say this, for a photographic equipment company like Hasselblad, it is quite extraordinary that this kind of function is not working the first time around.
Humans do the code and the testing: Mistakes are made. LOL!

Personally, I've only rarely found DoF Preview to be particularly useful and usually forget it's even there much of the time. It's only really become useful now that we have EVFs that will display at normal viewing brightness so you can actually see what the DoF is at working aperture, for me. I could never see it well enough, except in extremely bright lighting, with a reflex camera unless I brought a focusing cloth with me and covered up just like I once did with view cameras.

G

I think I noticed, the longer you depress the shutter release, the back eventually starts to count up and put the measured exposure duration in the file metadata, which I actually find quite clever!

This is irrespective of the shutter speed chosen on the lens. I don‘t know if it is any different with the supplied sync cable. It‘s just too convenient to operate the camera without any extra cables.

Godfrey

I think I noticed, the longer you depress the shutter release, the back eventually starts to count up and put the measured exposure duration in the file metadata, which I actually find quite clever!
This is irrespective of the shutter speed chosen on the lens. I don‘t know if it is any different with the supplied sync cable. It‘s just too convenient to operate the camera without any extra cables.
Hmm. Do you mean that with the CFVII 50c back fitted to a 500 series body, if you are using the LENS shutter, and you hold down the shutter release for ANY exposure, it will stuff an expected exposure duration into the metadata? Or is it with the back's eshutter? I'm not understanding ...

The CFVII 50c puts the exposure duration for Bulb and timed long time exposures into the metadata when used on the 907x. It starts to count down on the LCD but after about 15 seconds it powers the LCD off, presumably to save power, and then powers it back up just as the long time exposure comes to an end or when you release the shutter on a Bulb time exposure. It would be nice if there was an option in the camera's preferences to say "for long time exposures, keep the LCD visible so I can see the seconds count all the way through."

There are so many nice nuances we can dream up, eh? LOL! :D

G

sog1927

You don't need an external sync cable to use the CFVII 50c on most Hasselblad 500 bodies for normal operation. You do need a special cable connection for the 503CW(?) with motor winder and all the EL bodies to trigger the motorized transport mechanism to operate.

How long you have to depress the shutter button always follows the same rule: Because the Hasselblad 500 series' rear shutter that protects the film gate is mechanically operated and dependent upon the body shutter release, you must keep the shutter release button depressed for the entire length of an exposure or the rear shutter will close prematurely and shorten the exposure. The same is true whether you're using the lens shutter or the eshutter, but of course in the case of the latter on a Hasselblad SLR body, you've set the shutter on B and locked the shutter button to raise the mirror, open the rear shutter, open the lens shutter, and stop down the lens in order for Live View and the electronic shutter operation to work anyway, unless you're just holding down the shutter release only when you want to focus, frame, and expose a shot.

(Not having owned or used any of the EL series bodies or the 503CW model with a winder, I do know they have a specific "continuous sequence" operating mode but don't know exactly how that works with respect to operation of the body shutter or whether there are limitations on the range of shutter speeds that can be used in the continuous mode.)

G
The CW winder has a mechanical lever that depresses the shutter button on the body. I suspect you don't need a cable because the mechanical coupling would work just as it does without the winder. I don't know this for sure, because I haven't sprung for a 907 yet. ;-)

spb

Interesting review Review by Thomas Heaton (Hasselblad 907X On Location | Is it Any Good?)
In the review it was mentioned no histogram available. I have it from Support that this is on the list for firmware update.

Last edited:
Reactions: elm

Godfrey

The CW winder has a mechanical lever that depresses the shutter button on the body. I suspect you don't need a cable because the mechanical coupling would work just as it does without the winder. I don't know this for sure, because I haven't sprung for a 907 yet. ;-)
I went back to the manual... The coupling cable allows Phocus to trigger the 503CW when operated in a tethered mode, for both EL series and CW with motor winder. For hand-held work, it's not necessary. At least that's my understanding from the instruction manual for the CFVII 50c back. :)

G

Hmm. Do you mean that with the CFVII 50c back fitted to a 500 series body, if you are using the LENS shutter, and you hold down the shutter release for ANY exposure, it will stuff an expected exposure duration into the metadata? Or is it with the back's eshutter? I'm not understanding ...

The CFVII 50c puts the exposure duration for Bulb and timed long time exposures into the metadata when used on the 907x. It starts to count down on the LCD but after about 15 seconds it powers the LCD off, presumably to save power, and then powers it back up just as the long time exposure comes to an end or when you release the shutter on a Bulb time exposure. It would be nice if there was an option in the camera's preferences to say "for long time exposures, keep the LCD visible so I can see the seconds count all the way through."

There are so many nice nuances we can dream up, eh? LOL! :D

G
No, it applies to mechanical shutter operation and 500 series body as well, depending on how long the shutter button is pressed. For multiple seconds exposures the back keeps track of the duration and provides a record in the file even without any sync cable connection (so it's not viable for any timing shorter than one second). With the sync cable, it would be feasible. In electronic shutter or on the 907X, all metadata is properly recorded for sure.

I had the impression that my LCD did not turn off even during a very long exposure of 8 minutes that I did the other day. Is there a difference to the Special Edition?

Godfrey

No, it applies to mechanical shutter operation and 500 series body as well, depending on how long the shutter button is pressed. For multiple seconds exposures the back keeps track of the duration and provides a record in the file even without any sync cable connection (so it's not viable for any timing shorter than one second). With the sync cable, it would be feasible. In electronic shutter or on the 907X, all metadata is properly recorded for sure.

I had the impression that my LCD did not turn off even during a very long exposure of 8 minutes that I did the other day. Is there a difference to the Special Edition?
Might be, dunno. I know that my CFVII 50c Special Edition back on the 500CM will count up long exposures on the screen until about 15 seconds elapses, then the screen goes dark and wakes up again shortly before the end of the time sequence hits. Perhaps there's another setting to find, installed with the fw v1.3.0 ... :)

G

SrMphoto

Might be, dunno. I know that my CFVII 50c Special Edition back on the 500CM will count up long exposures on the screen until about 15 seconds elapses, then the screen goes dark and wakes up again shortly before the end of the time sequence hits. Perhaps there's another setting to find, installed with the fw v1.3.0 ... :)

G
The count-down disappearing was an unfortunate change. On X1DII, you can make the count down reappear by waving the hand close to the EVF sensor.

spb

Another interesting review and comparison using different lenses.

The Slanted Lens

I found it amusing seeing things I would never do! On the beach on a breesy day changing the back from camera to camera ..........

Godfrey

Another interesting review and comparison using different lenses.

The Slanted Lens

I found it amusing seeing things I would never do! On the beach on a breesy day changing the back from camera to camera ..........
I've saved it and will look at it later. Thanks for listing it! :)

G