The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. D

Phase ONE 28mm lens f4.5

It’s the weakest Phase One lens. Whether it’s performance is acceptable to you depends on the resolution of your back, the sensor size of your back, the aperture you’re shooting at, and your personal level of scrutiny, and whether you have any subject matter of importance in the corner. If...
  2. D

IQ5 rumors

Speaking from my experience designing the systems that are used for the vast majority of still film scanning at US libraries, museums, and archives – precious little large format film was shot in a way that maximized its possible technical quality. The reasons varied - Film holders weren’t flat...
  3. D

IQ5 rumors

Love the strong feelings about theoretical aspect ratio in a theoretical product – great holiday reading. For what it’s worth I’ve been cropping most of my marque images to 16:9 over the last few years. Maybe out of appreciation for cinema, maybe because it looks nicer on a wall to me, maybe...
  4. D

Angle of view for stitched photos

That’s exactly what the DT Visualizer (linked above) does. Enter any combination of sensor, lens, and stitching configuration and it gives the AOV, equivalent focal length (based on vertical, horizontal, or diagonal) in another format. It also shows you the result visually. Maybe you didn’t...
  5. D

Angle of view for stitched photos

I did the coding for that if you have any questions. When doing stitching with stitching you’re basically just making a physically larger virtual sensor. For example if you stitch an IQ4 150mp ~51x40mm sensor to do a left-right stitch of +/- 12mm shift on the long side your virtual sensor size...
  6. D

Hasselblad 100C and 35XL

When shooting color cameras for black and white output the underlying color can matter a great deal if you are using larger B+W slider adjustments. For example if you’re darkening the sky by pushing down blue tones (roughly equivalent to using a yellow filter in the field) then blue color noise...
  7. D

Rodenstock 23mm on the CFV 100c?

Our Image Circle Visualizer answers this directly. Can’t link to it due to forum rules.
  8. D

Fuji GFX 100ii vs Hasselblad x2d 100c using Color Checker Digital SG

The Sinar CTM was an implementation of Dr. Roy Berns (RIT) DualRGB approach. It used filters and a filter wheel and only worked with Sinar backs with Sinar software whose IR filter was removed. Dr. Roy Berns abandoned the filter based idea and came to work with us (DT) on a light-based...
  9. D

Color is a much more complicated phenomenon than you’d expect before you go down the rabbit hole. It’s definitely a field where the more you learn the more you learn you don’t know. Color depends on the subject, the light, the camera lens, the camera sensor, the profile method/software, the...
  10. D

Well now that’s asking a different question. No they will not perform the same, but the difference will be pretty small in your context. The world of color accuracy for reproduction of heritage related objects is *very* deep. If you’re entering this as a hobby then I think you have the answer...
  11. D

You’ll get very good results with either. Consider adding a second target for patch-independent validation of your results though, or you’ll end up with a false sense of security. Th NGT2 and ISA GoldenThread 19264 targets are the most popular with museums nowadays.
  12. D

Stitching for maximum resolution?

Keep your GFX and rent a IQ4 150mp on XT with 138, stitched in two panels
  13. D

Capture One Import from Hasselblad

You would need to purchase Capture One Pro or start a trial for the same. Capture One for Phase One only works with Phase One files.
  14. D

Fujifilm GFX100 II Teaser Video

I would argue that's there already. An IQ4 in Dual Exposure or Automated Frame Averaging mode blows away the real world dynamic range of any one-raw-capture option on the Fuji. As in, not a subtle difference. Of course I'm biased.
  15. D

live view on a CCD

My advice: do not buy a CCD expecting to use Live View without the chance to test it in advance. On the one hand, when it was the only option people had they used it, and some made great images using it. On the other hand it's objectively low in visual quality, slow to update, sensitive to...
  16. D

XF Trifecta lens 55/80/110.. Plus 150?

The 150/2.8 LS is tremendous optically both in sharpness and in rendering. But it’s also quite hefty. If it’s possible to try one or rent one before buying it would be wise to do so. Most people who try one from us end up buying; the only people who don’t choose not to because of the size/weight.
  17. D

Moving from Phase One to GFX

I'd argue it's significantly more than half a stop when you look at the subjective aesthetics of recovered deep shadows and linearity of hue near blown highlights. We've done a fair bit of real world testing on this for our film scanning systems – one of the two common use cases where dynamic...
  18. D

Crop factor calculations for a dummy.

Google “DT Lens Visualizer” - free and handles any sensor-focal length comparison, shows aspect ratio difference, and uses a sample image for sanity of visualization The only thing it’s not perfect on is that lenses are never *exactly* what they say they are. For example a “Schneider 72mm” is...
  19. D

Opinion and sample of Phase one SK 28/3.5 LS silver ring

Find the DT Lens Visualizer and it can compare it visually to any other lens-sensor combo you’re familiar with.