The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with "Obsolete" Nikons

rayyan

Obsolete!! No way. I regret selling my D700. One heck of a camera.

Df, 50/1.8 G
I still believe the Df sensor can match anything today. Dynamic range, check. High ISO, check. Slow you down!! Check and Check. Live view..superb.
The above is a jpg image.

dave.gt

Hey, Spring is in full swing here! :)
Want to have some fun?

Forget Dante!

Go retro! Really retro! Classic or vintage, and it won’t cost much at all.

The pandemic has taught me many things. One of those is enjoying the simple things in life.

What could be more simple than crafting an “analog” image? Seriously, it is not even expensive!

I became bored with the pressure of the usual race to buy the next big thing and get the next image. Not to mention the cost! I discovered the joy of film like I have never enjoyed after all these years, because I am developing my own film now, and it is a very rewarding experience. Black and white only.

The plan to start with 135 film developing again and work up to developing my own 120 film has become a fantastic experience in which I now prefer the process of crafting an image from a film of my choice rather than having digital files that require so little investment of myself to create.

While my film backs are loaded, I have been shooting my old Nikon 35mm cameras like this:
1C978E8B-2688-4DC2-A4F3-B67F0F769F46.jpeg

This camera and lens cost me a total of $115 some time ago. The leather case I had lying around not being used and the silk cord strap was traded for 10 years ago.

Film is readily available and usually costs $5-$10/roll and developer and fixer are about $15/bottle. The process of creating, crafting a film image is magical in a way and it must be experienced to appreciate. For me, it has been a revival. I have many sheets of negatives from the past. But I am just now having fun!

5BF72B19-5CBE-4673-9BD7-2E2EE9D7D540.jpeg
This week, I will be shooting Ektar 100 for color.

It all gives me a process to immerse myself in, that includes using cool gear;delayed gratification; anticipation; success and failures; different creative experiences; and most importantly, it slows me down from the fast paced life we all get caught up in, and I enjoy the “imperfect” results that are not extremely bleeding sharp or the highest resolution. Instead, I enjoy the differences of a crafted image, one that has a bit of soul, imo.

It is a journey.

I highly recommend it!

(Btw: shooting and processing 135 film opens up the huge world of moving up to medium format like the Velvia image below, and even large format):):):)
36DA119E-D73D-4916-880A-E32FFB42F855.jpeg

dave

Last edited:

dave.gt

Hey, Spring is in full swing here! :)
Want to have some fun?

Forget Dante!

Go retro! Really retro! Classic or vintage, and it won’t cost much at all.

The pandemic has taught me many things. One of those is enjoying the simple things in life.

What could be more simple than crafting an “analog” image? Seriously, it is not even expensive!

I became bored with the pressure of the usual race to buy the next big thing and get the next image. Not to mention the cost! I discovered the joy of film like I have never enjoyed after all these years, because I am developing my own film now, and it is a very rewarding experience. Black and white only.

The plan to start with 135 film developing again and work up to developing my own 120 film has become a fantastic experience in which I now prefer the process of crafting an image from a film of my choice rather than having digital files that require so little investment of myself to create.

While my film backs are loaded, I have been shooting my old Nikon 35mm cameras like this:
View attachment 192818

This camera and lens cost me a total of $115 some time ago. The leather case I had lying around not being used and the silk cord strap was traded for 10 years ago.

Film is readily available and usually costs $5-$10/roll and developer and fixer are about $15/bottle. The process of creating, crafting a film image is magical in a way and it must be experienced to appreciate. For me, it has been a revival. I have many sheets of negatives from the past. But I am just now having fun!

View attachment 192819
This week, I will be shooting Ektar 100 for color.

It all gives me a process to immerse myself in, that includes using cool gear;delayed gratification; anticipation; success and failures; different creative experiences; and most importantly, it slows me down from the fast paced life we all get caught up in, and I enjoy the “imperfect” results that are not extremely bleeding sharp or the highest resolution. Instead, I enjoy the differences of a crafted image, one that has a bit of soul, imo.

It is a journey.

I highly recommend it!

(Btw: shooting and processing 135 film opens up the huge world of moving up to medium format like the Velvia image below, and even large format):):):)
View attachment 192820

dave
Just to be clear, my film work is an adjunct to my main medium format digital work. I am not locked in to just one thing in life. Choices are wonderful.

As I wait for the rose garden to present so I can continue discovering how to create MF digital images of my own roses, I enjoy other things. Lately, it has been the resurgence of shooting film. I didn’t realize how much I missed that experience.

Godfrey

The FE2 is a fine camera. I had one when they first came out, sold it to a friend after a time. 15 years later, I bought it back from her and used it another year or two.

I still have a Nikon F, but haven't used it in an age. Most of my film shooting has been with a Kodak Retina IIc of late. I like its simplicity and compactness, never mind the stunning Schneider 50mm lens. :D

G

dave.gt

This morning was quiet and relaxing after a hard week. So, while drinking my coffee and waiting for the sunrise, I remembered my “magic drawer” in my office file cabinets. I could not quite recall everything that was in there, so I made the commute down the hall and discovered a bag in one of the other drawers of the cabinet.

To my surprise, there were several cameras languishing in that drawer since… well, before… eh, no matter that, it was a long time ago!

Here are some images I shot today just for fun!

Nikon Coolpix 950:

52B38572-DD4A-4863-B2EE-997725DD0D1B.jpeg

7933645A-1732-4C2E-8338-B5BB10340552.jpeg

AE215A76-BD2C-424B-89BA-D26CC1CA1465.jpeg

E7096E94-CB79-4EE8-AA79-9D96C4122568.jpeg
I had completely forgotten about the Coolpix 950, 995 and 5400!!!!

I was very pleased with the 2.1 mp jpg files and the black and white images straight OOC.

I think I re-captured a little more fun this morning!!!:):):)

dave.gt

I ran out of space, so had to buy a new disk and do some re-organising. A great opportunity to look at some old photos.

This one from 28 April 2012, D300 with Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF @ f/5.6

Wow…That 300 lens is nice and sharp!
I always wanted a D300 but just kept missing the good deals. Thanks for posting!:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wow…That 300 lens is nice and sharp!
I always wanted a D300 but just kept missing the good deals. Thanks for posting!:)
It's very sharp at f/5.6, useable at f/4. Sounds like a freight train when focusing, but it's a steal really. Just have to remember that it's useless with a TC.

dave.gt

Thank you, Godfrey. I appreciate that very much.:)

I hope you are doing well and enjoying each day!

For the last 8 months I have been working on my “Great Film/Developer Experiment”. :) I have immensely enjoyed matching my preferred black and white film with one-shot liquid developers and I have learned a lot!!!

By the end of this month, I will have completed the project and the results will be my own selection of three films and what I have found are my preferred developers.

This has been a huge commitment for me, but well worth it!(y)(y)

After Labor Day, I will Be shooting slide film, mostly Velvia!!!

I can’t wait!:):):)

dave.gt

I remember my first Nikon SLR. The FM2.
Since January of this year I have been working on my “Great Film/Developer Experiment” using various classic Nikon SLRs including both MF and AF cameras.

In my Domke Ruggedwear bag my FM2n, and my FE2, reside, loaded and ready for shooting either BW film or Color film, at a moment’s notice. I have two Nikkormat FTNs in a separate bag, also loaded and ready to shoot. The AF cameras… similarly, are always ready.

Unintended consequences are a fact of life and I can honestly say, that after 8 months of daily use with the MF cameras, I have had more fun shooting various black and white films, and matching them with selected developers than I have ever experienced since the 1970s.

More Nikon FE2 images,
Ilford DD-X

Morning Dew Drops068E67CB-F427-4BC9-82F5-D58188121B58.jpeg

Wind Chime
E4B46CC6-4FA7-4B53-8BB4-D01841E330BF.jpeg
Why would I say that? You may ask and I can only say that it is more of a craft than anything else. The process, the commitment, the required knowledge and experience, the physical results, the satisfaction derived from seeing a creation using mechanical and chemistry to obtain images through my diligent work… all of that, and more. It is a soulful experience.

I felt the same way with my 120 film backs when using two Hasselblads in the past.

There is now a sort of magic that I thought I had lost forever in photography.

Last edited:

KeithL

With the news that the Z7 is likely now discontinued it would seem that I now shoot with an obsolete camera and can join this thread and post my obsolete images!