The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

spb

Peak Design Travel Tripod with a Novoflex Mini Connect and the standard ballhead, whilst I await the standard head.

What I like about the Mini Connect is the coin sized connection to the 907X which doesn't touch the back at all and by putting an extension onto the tripod before the Mini-Connect there is room for my fingers to get at stuff.

Last edited:

Godfrey

As I recall Fuji solves this exact issue by allowing a menu choice in ISO settings of a range with a minimum/maximum. One of the few places a menu dive is required. Elegant way around the below issue
Various cameras I use/have used support the same notion of adjusting the AutoISO range. I don't find it actually solves much—it's still very easy to hit the range limits inadvertently and mess up the exposure. In general, I'd rather hold ISO stable in manual exposure mode to obtain a more consistent grain structure and dynamic range from shot to shot. At most letting ISO float seems to be useful in about a two to three stop range, which means making a pretty decent guess at the right aperture/shutter time setting most of the time, for each exposure. it works best in fairly consistent lighting situations, in other words.

G

Godfrey

Peak Design Travel Tripod with a Novoflex Mini Connect and the standard ballhead, whilst I await the standard head.

What I like about the Mini Connect is the coin sized connection to the 907X which doesn't touch the back at all and by putting an extension onto the tripod before the Mini-Connect there is room for my fingers to get at stuff.View attachment 178800View attachment 178801View attachment 178802
I don't understand what problem the Novoflex Mini Connect is solving. Fitted with a Peak Design plate or the DAL-1 L-bracket, nothing touches the back and the whole camera is lower, tighter to the head, and it should net more stability that way. Sitting the camera up on a necked pedestal seems odd to me. Can you clarify what it is that this setup achieves over the standard PD head and plate setup? thx!

G

Reactions: spb

spb

I don't understand what problem the Novoflex Mini Connect is solving. Fitted with a Peak Design plate or the DAL-1 L-bracket, nothing touches the back and the whole camera is lower, tighter to the head, and it should net more stability that way. Sitting the camera up on a necked pedestal seems odd to me. Can you clarify what it is that this setup achieves over the standard PD head and plate setup? thx!

G
Just trying things out. I do use the Mini Connect a lot in studio for product photography and I have one other Novoflex head.

I thought the Coin shaped attachment is stronger than what the very small PD quick release plate looks and feels like. I also prefer to be able to tighten up with a coin rather than a special key which I usually forget to have with me or cannot find.

cgastelum

G
Hi Godfrey, I found that my DAL-1 L-bracket and the Peak design plate work well until you want to remove the back from the 907x body. I do this a lot since I use the back on my Alpa or on my 503cw. if you are not careful you can bend the bottom support on the 907x.

I wish there was a spacer that you could add to the bottom plate to create a small gap to allow the removal of the back. I'll work on something and share once I work out the details.

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey, I found that my DAL-1 L-bracket and the Peak design plate work well until you want to remove the back from the 907x body. I do this a lot since I use the back on my Alpa or on my 503cw. if you are not careful you can bend the bottom support on the 907x.

I wish there was a spacer that you could add to the bottom plate to create a small gap to allow the removal of the back. I'll work on something and share once I work out the details.
Hmm. I don't see the problem ... I took some photos with a PD plate and the DAL-1, using the PD Travel Tripod as example. There's plenty of clearance and plenty of space to swing the back the 6mm needed to clear the locking hasps.

PD Plate

- fitment -

- clearance -

- back removal with the back tipped back to touching -

DAL L-bracket

- fitment -

- clearance -

- back removal with the back tipped back to touching -

Also, if you're using the PD tripod, the tool needed for the PD plate is usually clipped to the tripod leg in its holder. The DAL plate bolt is also slotted for a coin. The tool is just a 4mm hex key ... I have one of those on my keyring all the time anyway since it's so universally useful for all my equipment (and adjustments on my bicycle, and similar on my motorcycle). :)

G

glennedens

Mojo, beautiful image, we were just by there the other day, however the weather was terrible so didn't stop. Santa Fe was beautiful today. I always enjoy your work. Glenn, Santa Fe, NM

spb

Just been informed my Control Grip can be collected, as yet no 45/4P, but am not in a hurry for that.

Well I have to say I am surprised the Grip is not as big or as far away from the body as some of the pictures make it look.
It looks marvellous, it feels very slick in use. Very nice piece of kit and definitely VERY useful to have. I like the joystick feel and
the two wheels for adjusting F-stop and speeds.

Probably it will remain on the camera. I am not sure about carrying it for lengthy periods using the grip as a handle so I will retain my Peak Design strap.

Last edited:

budfox

Does anyone know if there is a third party optical viewfinder that replicates the FOV of an 80mm xcd lens for the 907X? This would be to replace the optical viewfinder part on the HB proprietary VF.
thanks

Godfrey

I have a Voigtländer 75mm OVF that does a pretty close approximation for an 80 to 90 mm lens on the 907x format will see.

G

Ai_Print

I wonder when they will just sell the 50C-II back by it self? I am looking forward to having a D-back for my V system again but have no need for the 907 part.

Any word on the release date of just the back?

Godfrey

No announcements have been made as yet regarding the availability of the CFVII 50c back as a standalone purchase.

I suspect it will be a while yet. The 907x package seems to be selling very well, the price premium over the cost of just a back is likely down to just a few hundred dollars. I suspect that the demand for the 907x package constrains the release of the backs as a standalone, since the 907x is useless without the CFVII 50c. Once demand for the 907x drops a bit, they could then divert some of the CFVII 50c production for standalone packaging.

G

Godfrey

Since the 907x body is likely such a small premium on the cost of the package (I can't see the back selling for much less than about $6000 standalone), I'd just buy a 907x and leave the body section in the box.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Since the 907x body is likely such a small premium on the cost of the package (I can't see the back selling for much less than about $6000 standalone), I'd just buy a 907x and leave the body section in the box.
That was my original idea as well . But as the 4/45P Lens is rather cheap and good , I could not resist . I don‘t know if Dante was involved here .
Now the 907x/45P kit is my new SWC .

mristuccia

That's the whole point in the existence of the 907x, which is gracefully and gradually migrating old V aficionados into the X system.
And that's the reason why the CFV-50c is not sold without the 907x.
The 45P is another step in this Caronte's mission. :)
I'm not criticizing here, on the contrary, I can perfectly understand it.

Last edited: